Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > National right to carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default National right to carry

passed the house with 272 for, that is 12 more then needed for a veto override

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5330 Times on 2782 Posts
Likes Given: 339

it wont come for a vote in the senate. democrats wont bring it up and they control the senate which is why it got so many dem votes in the house.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Jon, I have to ask. Call me ignorant if you must, but ignorant I am because I don't know. If the people want it (and invariably, many of them do), and it has passed the vote in the house, how the hell can the senate get away with just not bringing it up?

Maybe I should watch that after school special *sings* "I'm just a bill, sittin on capital hill"

Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Jon, I have to ask. Call me ignorant if you must, but ignorant I am because I don't know. If the people want it (and invariably, many of them do), and it has passed the vote in the house, how the hell can the senate get away with just not bringing it up?

Maybe I should watch that after school special *sings* "I'm just a bill, sittin on capital hill"
A bill doesn't become law until both houses ratify it by majority vote.

Even if it squeaked by in the Senate, Obama would probably veto it.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
A bill doesn't become law until both houses ratify it by majority vote.

Even if it squeaked by in the Senate, Obama would probably veto it.
Okay, one thing I learned from that after school special, the congress can override a president's veto can't they? But what I really want to know, is can the Senate just refuse to bring it up? Can they just say, "Oh we don't want to talk about that" and just ignore it?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Okay, one thing I learned from that after school special, the congress can override a president's veto can't they? But what I really want to know, is can the Senate just refuse to bring it up? Can they just say, "Oh we don't want to talk about that" and just ignore it?
If both houses have 2/3 majority or better vote, yes, they can veto the president.

And yes, the leaders of either side of congress can simply refuse to bring a bill to the floor for discussion or a vote.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
If both houses have 2/3 majority or better vote, yes, they can veto the president.

And yes, the leaders of either side of congress can simply refuse to bring a bill to the floor for discussion or a vote.
Is that legal? I'm gonna PM my number to you, I want to talk to you and see if we can get this through my thick skull.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Is that legal? I'm gonna PM my number to you, I want to talk to you and see if we can get this through my thick skull.
yes its legal. its how both houses of congress work. the senate or house can just not bring a bill forward. it happens all the time. it doesnt matter how many people want a bill to be voted on if the leadership of one chamber doesnt put the bill on the agenda it dies in committee.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
yes its legal. its how both houses of congress work. the senate or house can just not bring a bill forward. it happens all the time. it doesnt matter how many people want a bill to be voted on if the leadership of one chamber doesnt put the bill on the agenda it dies in committee.
That's bullspit.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
That's bullspit.
yup but thats how it works. its also why that rino boehnor even let it come up for a useless vote cuz he knows his buddy harry reed wont let it come for a vote. its just lip service to allow plutocrats to garner favor amongest the people who dont understand how things work.

everyone gets excited "yeah!! they finally getting things done!!" then some time goes by the bill dies in committee and scum like boehnor can then claim to support gun rights in the next election even though he knew it was a pointless vote

votes like this also allow democrats in weak areas a pointless vote they can say in their elections that they voted for gun rights. these dems tend to be in swing districts that are heavily pro-gun garnering them support in a oherwise tight election for casting a vote on a non-starter issue

Last edited by JonM; 11-17-2011 at 01:36 AM.