National Retailer Endorses Criminal Behavior
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > National Retailer Endorses Criminal Behavior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1385 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Default National Retailer Endorses Criminal Behavior

I'm watching TV yesterday and not really paying too much attention to the commercial running between shows, until I hear the announcer say something t the effect of, "...or like breaking into this guys house to shoot this commercial." This is followed by the homeowner yelling, "Hey! Who's down there?" To which all of the "commercial crew" run out of the house.

Yup, Cracker Barrel Cheese, owned by Kraft Foods, has started a marketing campaign called "Deliciously Different" in which the first commercial is based on multiple counts of felony breaking and entering (four cameramen, sound people, assistants and director and one actor) to promote their product as different. And there is at least one more criminal activity commercial planned.

Now, trust me, I'm not so tightly wound as to not see the humor they were trying to promote. However, as a CCW holder and home owner, I see a real danger in desensitizing the public to crime and associating it with popular brands. This is why we have the public turning against the gun owner when he defends his life.
"How can you think that shooting someone is fair?"
"The homeowner was using 'Stand Your Ground' laws to defend himself from intruders."
"But what if they weren't going to hurt the homeowner?"
"Huh?"
"They might have been there to shoot a commercial!"

This is a ridiculous premise that not only insults the intelligence of the public but promotes crime as fun and harmless. It also is insulting to those victims who have had their homes broken into and know that it is never for the purpose of shooting a commercial. What's next, cross-marketing with Nike to show that if you wear their shoes in the commission of a felony you are better able to get away because of their new Flex-Foot Technology?

You can find the commercial funny, but please contact Kraft Foods and tell them you do not appreciate them treating crime against innocent homeowners flippantly. This is inappropriate use of criminal subject matter. And while this might be okay onstage at a late-night comedy club, it does not belong on TV during the day giving kids and anyone else the idea that break-ins are okay if it saves corporate America money.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8520 Times on 4582 Posts
Likes Given: 18040

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

That is the stupidest thing I have seen all week, boy lets promote this America!

Notice its about Cracker Barrel cheese and is a truely far L/Wing Resturant

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
People Like This 
Old 05-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 3113

Maybe we should all boycott Kraft foods.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
Maybe we should all boycott Kraft foods.
This is a good idea, but Kraft Foods is much like Procter & Gamble - it would be increasingly difficult to avoid all of their products because they own such a vast amount of brands. Some of these companies own 30-40% of all of the products in your cart when you check out at the store, unless you purposely buy independent brands, which are usually more expensive.

This issue might be better solved by concerned citizens contacting Kraft Foods on their contact page or posting on their site in Facebook and bringing this problematic issue more into the light. Yeah, it's okay to laugh at the commercial, but I don't think it's okay for Kraft Foods to promote their product in such an irresponsible way. Who knows, those that post may even wind up with some free food if Kraft is willing to show some contrition.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-14-2014 at 06:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

Liked 96 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I do think this was certainly a staged event due to cameraman being slower to leave and getting the shot just right. Did you also notice the guy stealing the Man's Wine Glass? What Thief would want to do this not knowing whether Homeowner has gun? All they should think is hauling A$$.
If somebody really did a stunt like this in Missouri, with our strong Castle Laws, there would of been 2 less Darwin children in the World. Can you think of all the lawsuits against Kraft if deaths happened if really doing this in strangers homes just to make a commercial.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #7

Liked 516 Times on 307 Posts

These commercials and some of the prank shows are out of control and are going to get someone killed. A coworker showed me a prank video on YouTube today that was disturbing for the simple fact that the actor could have easily been killed. Some actor dressed as a clown and had a fake body laid out in various places (dark parking garages, alleys, parks at night). When people would walk by him he would smash the fake person with a sledge hammer and blood would spray out of the head. It looked extremely realistic to the unassuming passersby and it legitimately scared people. I am just waiting for him to simulate murder in front of a ccw holder and get himself shot. A lot of times after scaring people with the fake head smash he would chase them. I tell you what, if I see some dude in a clown costume smash someone's head (assuming it looks as real as it did in the video) I'm drawing my weapon as soon as he takes a step towards me. A lot of these pranks are getting way out of hand. Saw another one where a kid and his buddy, one played victim while the other played robber, staged an atm robbery prank. At one point when he was pretending to steal the other actors money from the atm and choke the other actor, a bystander comes out of nowhere and cold cocks the "criminal" and literally smashes a hole in his nose the size of a quarter. Blood everywhere and I know he needed surgery. Dumb kid got what he deserved. You don't mess with people like that. It stops becoming a joke when you simulate a crime like robbery or murder.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
These commercials and some of the prank shows are out of control and are going to get someone killed. A coworker showed me a prank video on YouTube today that was disturbing for the simple fact that the actor could have easily been killed. Some actor dressed as a clown and had a fake body laid out in various places (dark parking garages, alleys, parks at night). When people would walk by him he would smash the fake person with a sledge hammer and blood would spray out of the head. It looked extremely realistic to the unassuming passersby and it legitimately scared people. I am just waiting for him to simulate murder in front of a ccw holder and get himself shot. A lot of times after scaring people with the fake head smash he would chase them. I tell you what, if I see some dude in a clown costume smash someone's head (assuming it looks as real as it did in the video) I'm drawing my weapon as soon as he takes a step towards me. A lot of these pranks are getting way out of hand. Saw another one where a kid and his buddy, one played victim while the other played robber, staged an atm robbery prank. At one point when he was pretending to steal the other actors money from the atm and choke the other actor, a bystander comes out of nowhere and cold cocks the "criminal" and literally smashes a hole in his nose the size of a quarter. Blood everywhere and I know he needed surgery. Dumb kid got what he deserved. You don't mess with people like that. It stops becoming a joke when you simulate a crime like robbery or murder.
This is so true.

It did occur to me that I saw this commercial on Hallmark Channel and a note to them telling them that I would testify as a witness for the prosecution when they get sued for someone getting hurt in these scenarios. The channel broadcasting it is just as culpable, maybe moreso, than the brand that made it.

Make them realize that responsible citizens are lining up to hold them responsible when some teenager gets hurt copying the stupidity they broadcast and maybe they will be a bit more cautious on what they choose to air.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #9

Liked 516 Times on 307 Posts

I feel like it's a double edged sword too. You know they would come back with "well when kids see guns in movies then they want to go shoot someone". My argument to that will forever be that guns are portrayed as being able to KILL people, whether it be in a video game or a movie. They don't shoot party balloons and candy. They are shown to be deadly. Your commercial makes it seem as though breaking into a house is fun and innocent. The argument would rage on forever because the liberal mind set allows no room for reasoning.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8520 Times on 4582 Posts
Likes Given: 18040

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1400115812.572238.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This