Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   national reciprococity (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/national-reciprococity-51791/)

fmj 11-14-2011 08:45 PM

national reciprococity

House Vote Coming Soon on CCW Reciprocity Bill - Gun Owners Of America

bkt 11-14-2011 08:52 PM

What are the chances it will pass the Senate?

And are there any repercussions for insane states like New York that make it difficult, expensive and time-consuming to get a permit? Probably not, but one can hope.

fmj 11-14-2011 09:05 PM

I really dont like the idea of CCW getting into the hands of the fed...IMHO it should remain a state thing.

bearcreek 11-14-2011 09:16 PM

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I don't like the idea of the Feds being involved in just about anything. On the other hand I believe that part the requirements of a state to be part of the United States is that it should abide by the Constitution. States that don't allow citizens of the US to carry firearms are violating that contract. Basically, they should abide by it or leave. I believe any permit at all is a violation of the Constitution but that's a fight for another time I think.

CA357 11-14-2011 09:23 PM

I have mixed feelings as well. The Feds shouldn't have anything to do with it, it is a State's rights issue. However, neither the State or the Fed should have any say whatsoever in the first place. The Second Amendment should override them both.

bkt 11-14-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 627733)
I have mixed feelings as well. The Feds shouldn't have anything to do with it, it is a State's rights issue. However, neither the State or the Fed should have any say whatsoever in the first place. The Second Amendment should override them both.

I agree, of course. But until 2A is formally incorporated (again) against the states and the issue of state permits is forced, this will continue. While I would like to see all requirements for permits abolished, at least demanding reciprocity as they do driver's licenses makes sense.

silverado113 11-15-2011 11:15 AM

GOA brings up some valid concerns

House Vote Coming Soon on CCW Reciprocity Bill - Gun Owners Of America

billt 11-15-2011 11:34 AM

The gun issue, much like the repeal of Obama Care, isn't going anywhere until you get a Republican takeover of the Senate, and a Republican President. Remember, you would still have the Assault Weapons Ban if the Republicans had not captured control of the House and Senate. In 2004 they never let it come up for a vote. If the Democrats had been in charge it would have. Then it would have been permanent.

bearcreek 11-15-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 627768)
at least demanding reciprocity as they do driver's licenses makes sense.

Do they do that with driver's licenses? Can't remember where but it seems like I heard somewhere that that was not a Federal thing, just cooperation between the states. I could be wrong though.

silverado113 11-15-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcreek (Post 628176)
Do they do that with driver's licenses? Can't remember where but it seems like I heard somewhere that that was not a Federal thing, just cooperation between the states. I could be wrong though.

It's in the 14th Amendment. A state has to recognize another state's issued documents i.e. Birth Cert, drivers license, Marriage License etc. But of course they have found away around a Concealed Carry Permit.