Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Nassau County (New York) Police Officer Pulls Gun on Bartender (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/nassau-county-new-york-police-officer-pulls-gun-bartender-42189/)

jgand72 05-06-2011 10:41 PM

Nassau County (New York) Police Officer Pulls Gun on Bartender

Off-Duty Cop Pulls Gun In Bar

Quote:

MYFOXNY.COM - The Nassau County Police Department has suspended a police officer after the cop pulled a loaded gun in a bar and pointed it at the bartender.

The incident was caught on a security camera at the South Main Street Pub in Farmingdale.

It happened in the early hours of Tuesday April 26, 2011.

The officer, who was not in uniform, is identified as Ritchie Heffron.

The man who had the gun pointed at him is bartender Charlie Ball. Ball says Heffron and another man came into the bar after-hours. He says the officer was drunk and bragging about his 17-years on the force.

"It was just disbelief at first," Ball says.

He says he told the officer to put his gun away before someone got hurt. The video then shows the officer taking the clip out of the gun and unloading the chamber.

Ball apparently wasn't in too much fear for his life. He is shown on the video continuing a conversation with the two men.

The police department got the Nassau County District Attorney involved in the investigation. After viewing the tape, the officer's gun was taken away and he was suspended without pay.

Friends say Heffron has checked himself into rehab and is a good guy who made a mistake. The union that represents Heffron did not respond Wednesday to a request to issue a statemen
Yikes! Suspended without pay...If I pointed a gun at someone in a bar, I'd lose much more than my job.

dog2000tj 05-06-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgand72 (Post 499789)
Off-Duty Cop Pulls Gun In Bar

Yikes! Suspended without pay...If I pointed a gun at someone in a bar, I'd lose much more than my job.

More than likely the cops would shoot you or me down for drawing a gun in NYC. Being that the NYPD has a force of 37,000+ strong these incidents happen more than one would like to believe. Of course the introduction of quota hirings didn't help them recruit the best of the best either.

dnthmn2004 05-06-2011 10:54 PM

Stupid situation. Wtf was the officer thinking..

Guns and alcohol do not mix. Thats my personal "fifth rule" of firearms.

dog2000tj 05-06-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 499799)
Stupid situation. Wtf was the officer thinking..

Guns and alcohol do not mix. Thats my personal "fifth rule" of firearms.

How does that work if your 1st rule is to drink beer? :confused: :p

Jpyle 05-06-2011 11:21 PM

Silly boy...laws are for thee, not for me.
Nassau Cty...isn't that where they just busted a bunch of gun dealers for selling ARs with temp pins in the collapsible stocks?

jgand72 05-06-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 499818)
Silly boy...laws are for thee, not for me.
Nassau Cty...isn't that where they just busted a bunch of gun dealers for selling ARs with temp pins in the collapsible stocks?

Correct. Because being able to adjust the length of my stock is evil:eek:

Jesse17 05-07-2011 12:54 AM

Yeah, I agree with the bartender when he said, 'that's not the kind of guy we want on the streets, let alone the police department'

I worked with a guy a few years back that was the kind of guy you would expect to do something like that. He got booted from the Marines for shooting up the roof of his barracks (is what I heard). When I worked with him he was ALWAYS talking about the when he was a bad ass Marine (nothing wrong with that except he just kind of freaked you out when he did it) The guy partied with minors and got rough with them when he got drunk, and for the last two years or so has been sitting in jail waiting trial for putting a shotgun in his girlfriends mouth and blowing her brains out. Then he had had his 15 year old son help him burn the body.

Yeah, I get nervous when I see people with that kind of macho gun play type of attitude.