The Myth of Total Disarmament vs. The American Spirit - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The Myth of Total Disarmament vs. The American Spirit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36Girl View Post
"If They Bring a Knife to the Fight, We Bring a Gun"
~ Barack Hussain Obama, Philadelphia - June 2008

Obama: ‘If They Bring a Knife to the Fight, We Bring a Gun’ - Washington Wire - WSJ
they want me to pay to read it

Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The "anti-bkt"?

You're right, JD. It wouldn't work, or wouldn't work well, or wouldn't work for long.

But then what? We have a situation where the administration would put HUGE pressure on the military, Guard and LEOs to carry out the orders. Some who resisted at first might give in for any number of reasons.

We saw what happened in New Orleans...we know there are at least a few Guard and LEOs who would follow such orders. That means there would be a split internally among Service members and cops, and that won't lead anywhere good.

At the end of the day, when people resist...what happens next? We've reached a stalemate.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #13

I would hope all of us would resist and hide our firearms.It appears you all
have a short memory,at the height of hurricane katrinia we had national guard
and New Orleans police forceably disarming law abiding citizens.I can't image
trying to protect my self and my property with no guns.Our goverment in action.If you want it done right you need to do it yourself or be with groups of folks who think like you do.The NRA sued and got compensation but the
salt water and salty air did firearms no good !

Many Americans don't realize that the Japanese didn't even consider invading
the West coast of the US because of all the guns in Americans homes.This
was in beginning of World WAR II.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great post JD! As much as this idiot would love to disarm America he will have a very hard time actually making it happen if possible at all.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The urban areas will be chopped up and disarmed fairly easily, most are already, and the criminals will have stashed their guns long before anyone comes to take them. Cut off food and water and electricity to the non-conformists, and they won't last long.
Outside the cities is a whole other animal. Where urbanites rely on others to provide, the "country folks", for the most part, can be entirely self sufficient. The people out there always have been armed and probably have more time using a firearm than the troops/LEO who will be deployed and I imagine the proportion of military trained, if not actual combat experienced, is higher. I don't know of many sheriffs that will go along with such operations either. You're also looking at weapons, and hunters, capable of putting a target down before the sound of the shot reaches them. An M16 or M4 is not an ideal weapon against a .300 Win Mag or even a .25-06 in the hands of someone proficient with it in open terrain and FMJ military bullets are inferior to commercial hunting bullets in terms of potential damage. Properly organized and armed, a small group can inflict extreme casualties on any size military unit while suffering minimal loses. Familiarity of the terrain is a major strategic advantage. Even air superiority doesn't mean much if you can't locate the target.

Last edited by crossfire; 05-27-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Did I ever mention the horrible accident i had on the way back from Texas? The bottom of the storage box under the RV fell out and all my guns ended up on the highway. Then a caravan of semis ran right over them. Nothing left but scrap metal and splinters.

So to point out the one flaw in your scenario JD...
The real men in California are not giving up their guns. Arizona is only a six hour drive.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
The urban areas will be chopped up and disarmed fairly easily, most are already, and the criminals will have stashed their guns long before anyone comes to take them. Cut off food and water and electricity to the non-conformists, and they won't last long.
Outside the cities is a whole other animal. Where urbanites rely on others to provide, the "country folks", for the most part, can be entirely self sufficient. The people out there always have been armed and probably have more time using a firearm than the troops/LEO who will be deployed and I imagine the proportion of military trained, if not actual combat experienced, is higher. I don't know of many sheriffs that will go along with such operations either. You're also looking at weapons, and hunters, capable of putting a target down before the sound of the shot reaches them. An M16 or M4 is not an ideal weapon against a .300 Win Mag or even a .25-06 in the hands of someone proficient with it in open terrain and FMJ military bullets are inferior to commercial hunting bullets in terms of potential damage. Properly organized and armed, a small group can inflict extreme casualties on any size military unit while suffering minimal loses. Familiarity of the terrain is a major strategic advantage. Even air superiority doesn't mean much if you can't locate the target.
Crossfire, this is exactly why I moved out of downtown Seattle and up to the mountains. Urban warfare is not something I want to deal with when TSHTF.

"The prohibition is general. No clause in the Constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to Congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretense by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both." [William Rawle, A View of the Constitution 125-6 (2nd ed. 1829)

Old 05-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
they want me to pay to read it
Really? I didn't have to pay to read it. I'll post the story here in a minute.

"The prohibition is general. No clause in the Constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to Congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretense by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both." [William Rawle, A View of the Constitution 125-6 (2nd ed. 1829)

Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #19

Default B.O. Said so...

Here's the article. I'm not sure why it's prompting some to pay to read it. You can find the article here: Obama: ‘If They Bring a Knife to the Fight, We Bring a Gun’ - Washington Wire - WSJ

Obama: ‘If They Bring a Knife to the Fight, We Bring a Gun’
June 14, 2008, 1:29 PM ET

By WSJ Staff
Amy Chozick reports on the presidential race from Philadelphia.

Mobster wisdom tells us never to bring a knife to a gun fight. But what does political wisdom say about bringing a gun to a knife fight?

Sen. Barack Obama talks at a town hall meeting at Radnor Middle School in Wayne, Pa., Saturday, June 14. (AP)
That’s exactly what Barack Obama said he would do to counter Republican attacks “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night. “Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

The comment drew some laughs and applause. But it also struck a chord with his Republican rival. John McCain’s campaign immediately accused the Democratic candidate of playing the politics of fear. They also mentioned that Obama said he would use a gun that would be illegal under Obama’s plans to cut down on illegal firearms.

“Barack Obama’s call for ‘new politics’ is officially over. In just 24 hours, Barack Obama attacked one of America’s pioneering women CEOs, rejected a series of joint bipartisan town halls, and said that if there’s a political knife fight, he’d bring a gun,” McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement.

Obama made the comment in the context of warning donors that the general election campaign against McCain could get ugly. “They’re going to try to scare people. They’re going to try to say that ‘that Obama is a scary guy,’” he said. A supporter yelled out a deep accented “Don’t give in!”

“I won’t but that sounded pretty scary. You’re a tough guy,” Obama said.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system and too soon to shoot the bastards." ...Claire Wolf

It's coming soon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams