Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   My mini-14 is no longer compliant... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/my-mini-14-no-longer-compliant-26177/)

MoAmmoPlease 04-17-2010 05:26 PM

My mini-14 is no longer compliant...

Even living in Taxachusetts I would have thought that the Mini I have had for close to 25 years would be grandfathered in somehow but to my surprize the gun monkey (It's a term of endearment)at my favorite shop tells me I have to upgrade my license in order to legally keep it.
We here in MA have to grovel at the feet of the issuing officer to get ANY permit and he is not even returning my calls. I'm thinking on getting an attorney but am uncertain if it will cause me more trouble. I'm a good guy but the descretion is the issuing agents only and is based on whim only. If he doesn't like the cut of your jib than your not getting one.:mad:
Looks like the Mini-14 is gonna be planted in a PVC pipe somewhere for a rainy day.. :(

I guess I'm just whining because I in such a sucky restrictive State. Myabe I will just take a ride down the police station and just handit over.:eek:

Shihan 04-17-2010 05:48 PM

Have you always lived there? If you moved there, did you check to see the Gun Laws?
Move to another State and commute to work if your job is in Mass.

CA357 04-17-2010 06:00 PM

Damn! That's worse than California! :eek:

bkt 04-17-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease (Post 271463)
Looks like the Mini-14 is gonna be planted in a PVC pipe somewhere for a rainy day.

If you believe it's time to bury your guns to hide them, it's probably past time you started using them.

skullcrusher 04-17-2010 10:17 PM

Better than taking the time to take it to the station yourself, just keep posting on how you have an illegal one in your state, and they will just come and pick it up for you. Mass is not that large, I second the moving and commute.

doctherock 04-17-2010 11:11 PM

good ol commiechusetts, get the hell outta dodge and commute.

DrumJunkie 04-18-2010 03:23 AM

So..It was legal at one point and it's not now?

Bigcountry02 04-18-2010 03:34 AM

Either upgrade the license, contact an attorney on statute for classification of the Mini as an ancient - dig for any loophole, or as a last means, bury the Mini - do not hand it over to the wrecking crew!

mrm14 04-18-2010 08:00 AM

What feature could it have that makes it not compliant?

Did you add something or modify the rifle some way in the past that makes it not compliant now?

MoAmmoPlease 04-18-2010 01:40 PM

Thanks for the hits guys and I will try and clarify.

You have FID (firearms identification card) in this state complete with thumb print. At the basic level REQUIRED for my wife to carry pepper spray requires no training just a request for one and have a clean record. You then move up to one which requires a safety course and allows huting weapons like shotgun and rifles but nothing high capacity. Then you slide into the one needed for high capacity weapons (capable of holding more than 10 rounds) and you finish off with a permit requires to lock and box you handgun for transport to and from the range only and then one that permits carry. So they already have a complicated system...:confused:

I have lived here forever and don't plan on packing up the wife and kids although I'm tempted. My old 185(?) series Mini from about 25 years ago is capable of holding any clip I want to put in it. That makes it a high capacity weapon and I can find NO support for it being "grandfathered" in. There must be a 100k gun owners with high capacity waepons. A gun can't have a bayonet lug or a collapable stock and I know dozens of guys who have put aftermarket stocks on their guns.

I beleive the mere fact the gun is "capable" of holding a high capacity mag is what makes it illegal. I was going to join ANOTHER gun club just for fun but they require a current safety certificate and not having taken a gun or hunter safety course in 30 years I am just going to recertify right up to the LTC level. I shouldn't have to fight the issuing agent ( A officer in each town) but I will hire an atty through the gun owners action leauge if needed and pursuit.

All I wanted was an AR platform of some sort but by the time I wade through this stuff I will grab a handgun as well. Always been just a long arm hunting and plinking sort of guy but what the heck.

Nothing buried here and it will be a long time before they start knocking on doors to collect the guns out there which I will be happy to give them except the Mossberg 500 Cruiser J.I.C. series. :):

Sorry for babbling but it's so dang confusing and I'm just a lowly hard working stiff...:confused: