Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Is my gun purchase on a list? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/my-gun-purchase-list-47925/)

3thumbs 09-07-2011 04:52 PM

Is my gun purchase on a list?

I have asked this question in several places, and never get the same answer. When I made a purchase at a local retailer, I was told that there is no such thing as "gun registration," that the purchase information stays with the retailer.
However, if Hillary and her thugs take all retailer's files, then I'd say my gun IS registered.

Jpyle 09-07-2011 05:23 PM

All firearm transfers through a federally licensed dealer (FFL) require a NICS background check and the completion of a Form 4473. The FFL is required to record the transfer in his bound volume and retain the 4473 for a period of time. States may also require a permit for purchasing a handgun and some towns may keep those on file. So you are partly correct that a paper trail does exist that would enable law enforcement to trace a gun back to you. However, private sales, if permitted in your state, do not require specific BATFE paperwork or NICS. So there really is no "list" that can be accessed nor is there a federal requirement that you register any gun, Class III NFA excluded.

canebrake 09-07-2011 05:34 PM

If you purchased a gun you're on "the" list. Anyone telling you different is lying or doesn't have a clue how our gub-mint works.

And when you posted on this forum you are on it twice! :p

partdeux 09-07-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 576388)
If you purchased a gun you're on "the" list. Anyone telling you different is lying or doesn't have a clue how our gub-mint works.

And when you posted on this forum you are on it twice! :p

Does premium membership include that special anti govt foil hat?

canebrake 09-07-2011 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 576393)
Does premium membership include that special anti govt foil hat?

It's one of many benefits of being a Attachment 32648.

neilage66 09-07-2011 06:24 PM

We're all on *a list* and *the list* just not necessarily the *A-list*...you know, being as we are all enemies of the state and such. ;)

Embedded microchips at birth to follow later this century.

Keep your powder dry.

Rarity 09-07-2011 07:04 PM

Oh we're on a list alright!

trip286 09-07-2011 08:50 PM

I also make anti gubmin remarks and talk about how we need a new revolution on facebook... I'm waiting for the kick to the door in the middle of the night. I also study some of the tactics that are being used overseas against our guys. (for purely academic purposes of course) I think my name may be on the list 3-4 times.

robocop10mm 09-07-2011 09:07 PM

The details of the purchase are recorded on the form 4473. The 4473 is kept in the store for (I believe) 20 years or until the dealer goes out of business. Out of business records are sent to ATF who keeps them pretty much forever. They are forbidden from computerizing these records. They were doing exactly that some years ago until Congress found out and ordered the records purged. Presumably they complied.

They can search the paper records for a "trace request". I have had this done a few times to find the rightful owner of a gun recovered from a nare do well. I have found several people and returned their guns even though they were not listed as stolen because the serial number was not available and the reporting agency did not care to do the leg work necessary to find the information.

canebrake 09-07-2011 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 576480)
I also make anti gubmin remarks and talk about how we need a new revolution on facebook... I'm waiting for the kick to the door in the middle of the night. I also study some of the tactics that are being used overseas against our guys. (for purely academic purposes of course) I think my name may be on the list 3-4 times.

I heard the new "Black Helicopters" have the latest stealth props.

They got it from the Chi-Coms!