Is my gun legal? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Is my gun legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
If you should shoot someone with a .25, and if they find out about it, boy are they going to be pissed. Sell it and get a .38 / 9mm minimum. Those make cute little pimp guns, but for serious self defense you should bet your life on something a bit more substantial.
I tend to agree with Pio here. I counsel people to get a caliber they can handle effectively, but my heart goes with the heavier caliber crowd.

I'd also hate to be on the receiving end of a well-placed .25 or .22, but I'd hate to be on the receiving end of even a poorly-placed .40 or .45 +P load.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

There are no illegal guns, only illegal people!

Support the Clinton ban! er, ban on Clintons....

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #13

Default re 25 auto

someone told me that a 25 auto wasn,t for serious self defence work but that if ya emptied it in a person at least you would have a better chance at the fist fight that followed. lol. serious would that be federal law? I have relatives in looseanna, thought they was pretty ok with various state laws.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #14

Default guns guns guns

how many times have others done the same thing?probably 100 thousand.every private sale would be in jeopardy.all he did was give you the sales slip after you bought it from him.get rid of the sales slip. you are causing more trouble by yapping about it.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #15

I picked up some 35 grain Hornady XTP for my Beretta 25 auto and shot them through a chrono. Low was 990 fps and high was 1080 fps. I sure as heck don't want to be in front of it when it goes off. I carry it because it is so small and I can carry it anywhere, back pocket, shirt pocket, jacket pocket and it is a last resort so I figure 9 shots in someones face is probably going to make them change there mind. I really don't want to kill someone if I don't absolutely have to and the 25 sorta fits the task. If that were the case I would carry my 1911 colt or 357 or 41 mag.

Last edited by 97powerstroke; 02-09-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #16

Default Be careful of interstate activity

I was poking around this afternoon and stumbled onto a website describing the gun law problems of a person in Missouri. This person got into potential fed trouble because he used his firearm illegally in Mo. Since the gun was not manufactured in Mo. seems the fed could get involved because at some point in the life of that firearm, it had moved from one state to another.

That seems like a catch all for the feds. But it is a door that is open - at least the way that I read. The feds don't always walk through the door.

So be cautious of the interstate thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Talking

Thing is Varmint Hunter, before the 1968 gun act, trade between states occurred freely, in fact if you saw a gun you liked in the mechanics illustrated, for example all you had to do was send in your money and the gun was shipped right to you! Nowadays if you want to buy a gun from out of state you need a FFL (federally licensed gun dealer) As a gun dealer part of my job is to ship firearms for one person to another across state lines. Just to keep the ATF people happy I have to write down each gun I receive into my aquisition book, same goes for any gun I send, that is written down in my disposition book. That way the magical government can get a warm, fuzzy feeling like everything (guns) is being tracked all over our scared& pussified country. See the real problem with our country concerning guns (as I see it) is the only gun the Lazy, Ineffective Government can actually control is the guns we Honest people own. See it is impossible to make a criminal use an FFL to ship their guns across state lines, so their illegal guns cannot be traced. Although it is pointless(usually) to keep on watching honest people, waiting for them to turn dishonest, it is the only easy thing the Lazy, mostly useless gov't can do. It reminds me of the tired old joke where a little kid is searching for his quarter at night. He looks& he looks, finally someone comes over to help. The helper asks "is this where you lost your quarter?" Kid says "no, but the light is better over here!"
Well that's how it seems to me, I'm just glad to be living in Arizona where I can (and do) choose to wear my gun on the outside of my body all day long!

Last edited by billdeserthills; 02-11-2008 at 03:54 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #18

Well said bill.

There are many enemies of the Republic hidden in plain sight, and one of the easiest way to id them is to ask folks about guns & victim disarmament - oh did I say that - I meant gun control.

Makes me sad for my kids for what kind country they are going to inherit from us.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hear you there VH, I'm glad I don't have a wife or kids for much the same reason.
I don't know if I would have had the nerve to even get my FFL if I had been faced with the possibility of my wife or kids having to wonder how they were going to eat & pay rent with daddy (me) tossed in jail cause I pissed off the wrong people in the gov't one day (a very real possibility considering my bad attitude and readiness to voice my opinion!)
As a Locksmith/ Gun Dealer I get a chance everyday to voice my opinion asked for or not to a fairly captive audience (my clients) Some of them come by my shop later and buy their first gun, many come and have guns transferred in. A few will quickly whisper (in hushed tones) after I give my bill& announce that "Hey I sell guns now too!" That they don't want their wife or husband to know, and please don't tell them! To these misquided few I tell my story of how I was beaten by three men, and how, after they took my wallet & I called the police I learned first hand that If You Are Not Willing To Learn to Protect Yourself, it will likely be too late for anyone else to protect you!
Needless to say, the officer I spoke with that day started out by laughing at me for thinking the police were willing to come to my aid, then told me "those guys and your money is long gone!" When I protested that I would like them rounded up before they beat someone else, he just hung up on me.
It has been a real learning experience for me, maybe now I'm a bit too paranoid what with the two guns,extra mags, pepper spray and two knives I carry every day, but I tell you one thing, It hasn't ever happened again and I have waited almost 20 years for some criminal to feel lucky and try it!
Bill

Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3585 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

The Feds will use any excuse to exercise the interstate commerce clause. If they can show the gun was made in Mo, left the state to a distributor and was sold to a dealer back in the state they will puff up their chests and say "its our jusristiction". I know its assinine, but they do what they want.