Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Moving state to state question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/moving-state-state-question-28338/)

mjm9536 06-15-2010 05:27 PM

Moving state to state question

Hi all, this is my first post here and I've got an important question -- hoping I'll get some good answers and be encouraged to stick around here and chat.

I own 3 hand guns and 3 rifles all purchased in FL. I am moving home to NY in a few weeks and am unsure of how to deal with my guns for the move. I'll be driving home and I have heard transporting from state to state is not an issue if you can show some form of proof that they are legally owned in the state your leaving and are legal in the destination state but I really have no idea if that is true.

I know in NY you need a licence to have a hand gun of any kind and from what I have read that takes 4-6 months...but I already own them so that brings up my questions etc etc.

Some side notes -- I am an officer in the military and will only be in NY for about four months (I am a NY resident though) until I report to Fort Rucker AL when I will be moving yet again. I'm not so concerned about the laws in AL as I understand it is a lot more like FL there.

So to the point my questions are:
- transporting weapons to NY/to AL
- licensing in NY since I already own them and the gap between me arriving in NY with them and getting a license
- any way being military can speed the process? I know I can use my mil id to get my concealed carry but I have not done that yet

Thanks for any help/advice you all can offer, looking forward to coming back here

suprdave 06-15-2010 05:37 PM

Stop by the introduction thread. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out! Thanks for your service!

FlBob518 06-15-2010 05:58 PM

Roll them up in a rug and put them in a NY self-storage for 4 months. Only kidding of course, but when I think of all the possible paperwork when you get the correct answer, I personally would be thinking about it..... ;)

mjm9536 06-15-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlBob518 (Post 300378)
Roll them up in a rug and put them in a NY self-storage for 4 months. Only kidding of course, but when I think of all the possible paperwork when you get the correct answer, I personally would be thinking about it..... ;)

Haha actually at the moment I'm considering storing them somehow in florida or leaving them with a bud down here rather than dealing with NY at all and just focus on Alabama.

NGIB 06-15-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjm9536 (Post 300382)
Haha actually at the moment I'm considering storing them somehow in florida or leaving them with a bud down here rather than dealing with NY at all and just focus on Alabama.

That's exactly what I would recommend. Don't go through the hassle for just a few months.

BTW, thanks for your service...

bkt 06-15-2010 08:35 PM

DO NOT bring your handguns to New York -- it is a felony. You can go online and locate the county clerk's office for whatever county you're moving to and get the paperwork for your permit. Not all counties are equal...some are quick, some are slow, some are basically shall-issue, others are not.

You will need to arrange with an FFL in Florida to send them to an FFL to New York. Either have the guy in Florida sit on them 'til you get your permit and then give him the OK to ship them to the NY FFL, or have them sent directly to NY now if you have an FFL up here you know and trust who can hold them for you 'til you get your permit. Once you get your permit, have the serial no's added and you're good to go. (Personally, I suggest keeping them in Fla.)

I'm in Monroe County and a delay of a year or even a little more is not uncommon. A few miles away in Wayne County, it's a matter of weeks. If you're moving to the NYC area, you might have some pretty high, flaming hoops to jump through to get a permit and it will take a long time.

If you're going to be in a county where it takes a long time to get a permit, just keep your handguns with a friend or FFL in Florida and have them sent to Alabama when you move down there.

Long guns are OK, provided they don't step on any of NY State's draconian gun laws. Pump, lever and bolt action are fine -- bring 'em up. Semi-autos may have a maximum of two of the following "evil" features: collapsible or folding stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, bayonet lug, removable muzzle break, or grenade launcher. Flash hiders are not allowed. This stuff only applies to semi-auto rifles or shotguns made after September, 1994. If your long guns are older than that, you're cool. Magazines are treated separately from rifles: they must also be pre-ban or completely unmarked (no date stamp or other marks that could possibly indicate they're post-ban) if they hold more than 10 rounds.

mjm9536 06-15-2010 10:34 PM

Thanks all for the info very much appreciate it. I've been reading up this afternoon and found out pretty quick that moving a hand gun to NY is a no go. I'll be going to Onondaga county but regardless of how long it takes I think I'll just be finding a place/friend to store them with down here in FL.

I don't think anything I have would be an issue except possibly my Yugo SKS, has the blade bayonet and the would be grenade thing/flash suppressor on the end. And the potential for removable mags among other things. That and maybe the 15rd mags for my USP?

c3shooter 06-16-2010 12:28 AM

On your way from FL to NY, stop off near Ft Rucker, rent a safety deposit box, put your handguns in storage, pick them up when you get back from the Gap. Will save you the shipping, having to have a FFL involved, etc.

mjm9536 06-17-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 300544)
On your way from FL to NY, stop off near Ft Rucker, rent a safety deposit box, put your handguns in storage, pick them up when you get back from the Gap. Will save you the shipping, having to have a FFL involved, etc.

Most likely thing to do. Is it legal to keep them in the safety deposit box? Do I have to notify them that they are going in it?

c3shooter 06-18-2010 01:51 AM

Yes, legal (unload them, lube them, slip in a silicone gun sock) No, banks do not know what is in a safety deposit box. Unless you have a hazardous or noxious substance (do NOT leave a tuna fish sandwich in a safety deposit box) bank does not care.