Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Moving to Pennsylvania soon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Moving to Pennsylvania soon.

Hey I wanted to know the minimum age for owning handguns in PA. I keep seeing its 18 to own 21 to purchase, but that doesn't exactly make sense. Do I need someone to go purchase it for me? Cause that kind of sounds like a straw-man purchase.If its legal does anyone feel up to doing it? I know no one in pa . Also, is open carry legal over there? I keep hearing it is but never see anyone over there carrying and sometimes people on the internet can be misleading. Im talking about Philadelphia in this instance,which is also where im moving too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1809 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Maybe to answer and explain your question 18 to own 21 to buy. It is that way in many States throughout the USA. The reason is, it is perfectly legal for a father for example, to give his son or daughter a pistol. But you are correct! It would be a straw purchase for you to have someone buy a pistol for you being under 21. In addition it could cause you some serious problems that would possibly prohibit you from purchasing weapons in the future. Therefore it will be worth the wait for your 21st. Birthday. Nothing says you can not shoot a friends pistol at the range in the meantime.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

Sniper03, Thanks. that had me stumped for awhile. Thank you for clearing that up.

"To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." [Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52, at 54 (1878)]