Moving Between States
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Moving Between States

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Moving Between States

I've looked around for a while on this and got bogged down so I figured I'd ask here since there seem to be quite a few knowledgeable posters. So say hypothetically I live in Michigan (non-resident) and my girlfriend (resident) legally owns a handgun, no problem. Now say we are both moving to Pennsylvania in a few months where I would be a resident and she obviously would not. Is it possible that she could "sell" or just give the firearm to me, and then I could register it as mine once in Pa? Neither of us have concealed carry permits (yet) which would make it much simpler, but the gun in question is used primarily for recreational target shooting and home defense so a CPL has not really been needed. Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated, or even a place for me to go to find the information myself. Obviously we want to avoid any legal issues and take care of the matter by the book, so to speak. Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Don't know PA law, but only a few states actually require some form of handgun registration. If y'all are living together - what does it matter?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

Well Pa is going to be home base, but she will be bouncing around a little bit for training. In Michigan, as I understand it, in order to transport a firearm (ie put it in the trunk to take to the range) the owner has to be in the car. I just assumed that the same rule applies in Pa (can anyone confirm this?). So if she is gone and I wanted to take it to the range it would be illegal for me to transport the firearm even if locked up.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just file for joint custody
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The smartest thing you can do is call the county sheriff of the county you're moving to for info. You can't go strictly by state laws because some municipalities may have their own laws.

Chances are pretty good you may need to send it to a trusted FFL in PA who will hold it until you can get whatever permit may be required at which point you can acquire the handgun. Once your GF has PA residency, she can get her own paperwork in order and once again be the owner.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

General rule of thumb is that a legal face-to-face transfer must take place in the state where both parties are legal residents and must adhere to that state's laws regarding the transfer and ownership of firearms. This does not appear to be the case here since from your description neither of you will be residents of the same state in the near future.

The alternative is to have her take the gun to a FFL in her home state and transfer it to a FFL in your home state where you can complete the 4473 and take posession. This would be more convenient to do before she relocates to PA since as a non-resident she would neeed to travel back to Michigan to transfer the gun to you.

For 100% comfort follow the advice given above and contact the police in the county in which you will reside...praying its not Philadelphia.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
praying its not Philadelphia.
Literally depending on what side of the street I live on it will either be Philadelphia or Montgomery County...

Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1396 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 98

If I remember correctly as an ex-Pennsylvanian, it is an open carry state. I also do not remember any requirement to register the hand gun. It has been a while since I lived there though, so I might not take my own advice.

I also don't rmemeber any presence of a "Sherrif's Department." Just local and state police. You may be able to find your answer online though.

I just looked at this post, and there ain't a whole lot of current help here! Good luck.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Off topic, but don't you all wish it was this difficult to have children?

It would sure cut down on the number of welfare families out there!

I thought that as long as the gun is not banned in either state (or any of the states you would be traveling through) it was no problem, assuming that in PA there is no individual requirement for registration. A US citizen can travel through the states with legal firearms, regardless of where they reside. I have run into several people who are retired and traveling the country in their RV's and they have no permanent residence in any state, and they have guns. Of course in this case the RV is considered the "home". There is no federal requirement, as far as I am aware, that a citizen declare or register as a resident anywhere. Is there?