Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > More Illinoise Idiocy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default More Illinoise Idiocy

if your trying to tax causes of violence wouldnt it be wiser to tax registered democrats for enacting gun control laws??

Quote:
Gun-rights groups decry proposed surtax on Illinois ammo sales

By Judson Berger
Published February 21, 2012 | FoxNews.com

An Illinois lawmaker wants gun owners to shell out extra taxes in order to finance a new grant program for trauma centers, a move firearms advocacy groups say amounts to a "sin tax" on law-abiding hunters and target shooters.

State Rep. Kelly Cassidy, in a bill introduced earlier this month, proposed a 2 percent surtax on ammunition. The proceeds would go toward a "high-crime trauma center grant fund," which would then send the tax money to trauma centers in "high-crime areas."

The idea is to begin to offset the high cost of gun violence. Mark Walsh, campaign director for the Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, told FoxNews.com that cost often ends up being shouldered by these urban trauma centers.

"(The money would go) into communities here in Illinois that have been damaged with gun violence," he said. "I think it's a legitimate way to pursue funding."

But Richard Pearson, director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, said the bill effectively saddles gun owners -- hunters, target shooters and those who own firearms for self defense -- as a whole with the cost of gang violence in high-crime areas like Chicago.

"We aren't causing the problem. They are," Pearson said. "It's an attack on firearm owners and their rights. ... They think that because we like to target shoot and hunt, we're bad people, and we should pay for all the ills of the city of Chicago."

Since gun owners in Illinois have to have a special ID card which requires a background check to obtain, Pearson said those committing crimes of gun violence aren't likely to be paying much into the proposed tax fund.

"They're not buying their ammunition (legally). They're not paying any part of the tax. They're getting their stuff illegally," he said.

He estimated a typical box of ammo runs for about $25 in Illinois, meaning the average tax per box would be about 50 cents.

Cassidy, a Democrat who represents a district in the North Side of Chicago, did not return a request for comment.

Her proposal would exempt ammunition purchases by the state's Department of Natural Resources.

All the surtax proceeds from other ammo sales would go toward the grant fund.

The National Rifle Association is also opposed to the bill. Spokeswoman Stephanie Samford said "law-abiding citizens should not be saddled with a tax on ammunition to pay for the acts of violent criminals."

"This sends a message that responsible gun owners are somehow responsible for violent crime, which is certainly not true," she said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/21/gun-rights-groups-decry-proposed-surtax-on-illinois-ammo-sales/?test=latestnews#ixzz1n4giK2QG

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's not a very high tax, but I have to agree with Cane. Not to mention the fact that it's unfair as hell, and if not illegal then it should be.

It's completely ridiculous. Gotta hate libs. I feel dumber everytime I hear something some idiot lib says, and I really can't afford to be losing brain cells at this rate...

Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #4

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I propose a tax on alcohol and gasoline. Drunk drivers cause MUCH more damage than firearms. Oh, but not all drinkers get drunk, drive and kill or hurt people and not all divers drink. Kind of points out the absurdity of their argument. Not that they give a rat's azz about seeming absurd. Just another back door way to ban guns. Screw them!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I propose a tax on alcohol and gasoline.
We already have that LOL. Only the tax dollars do not go towards hospitals or rehab programs, instead they go into the pockets of the politicians.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe instead of taxing honest gun owners they can just slap more fines on the idoits that commet the crime. if they commit violence they should have to pay not us, put the extra fines specificaly towards the truama centers they are filling up

Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Makes me glad I have a reloading setup, just makes me wonder if they want to tax components or complete rounds? Either way I need to move north asap.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3
Makes me glad I have a reloading setup, just makes me wonder if they want to tax components or complete rounds? Either way I need to move north asap.
You wanna just write them a letter with all the things that would piss you off? Don't give them ideas man! They do a pretty good job of acting like idiots on their own!