Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > More Anti-Gun Propaganda BS in NYC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default More Anti-Gun Propaganda BS in NYC

WTF...The NYC media just keeps on dishing this BS...

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/155655/ny1-exclusive--queens-parents-outraged-over-daughter-s-gun-spelling-assignment

Two parents in Queens were outraged after their five-year-old daughter was asked to complete a spelling worksheet that featured the words "gun" and "rob," but officials at the Department of Education said Wednesday that the teacher, who brought the offending worksheet from a previous school, has apologized.

Many parents are concerned about gun violence, so Lawrence Gillman almost hit the ceiling when his 5-year-old pulled out a surprising homework sheet.

"I looked at it and I seen the word ‘gun’ on it. The first thing I thought was ‘oh no no no,’ I don't want you reading it, I don't want you spelling it. I don't even want you looking at the picture," said Gillman.

His daughter goes to P.S. 201 in Queens and is learning sounds and letters, but Gillman says teaching words like “gun” and showing a cartoon image of one is out of touch.

The same sheet had a picture of a robber running with a gun and a bag of money.

"You're teaching them that guns are okay because you're putting it in their homework, you're teaching them that robbing is okay because you're putting it in their homework," said Takiema Reynolds, the girl’s mother.

Other parents with young children at P.S. 201 where just as shocked by the use of words.

"I teach my kids not to play with guns, don't aim or do any of that. I don't think it is good at all," said one parent.

"If you are going to use that, you have to explain what you are doing and why you are doing it," said another.

While at the school, NY1 spoke to other people in the area, including a police officer who said the homework was inappropriate.

Still, the parent of a fourth grader said it was nothing more than a phonics lesson.

Dr. Peggy McNamara, chair of teacher education at the Bank Street College of Education, said it doesn't surprise her that the sheet was used. She said teachers have to check the work produced by curriculum companies.

"I think the issue would be with this particular company. What are they thinking about when they put ‘gun’ and ‘rob’ on a page?” said McNamara. “Do they really think about where this goes and the sensitivities of different communities where a kid might use this?"

Officials at the Department of Education say the teacher brought the homework assignment with her from a previous school and has apologized. The principal will monitor assignments to avoid a similar problem.

Parents said that's exactly what they want.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Yep, just more liberal anti-gun BS. Down here, many of the 5 year olds already know gun safety, and several have shot a .22 already.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You have got to be kidding me.... Guns and robberies are a part of life !!!!! Not a good part but a fact !!!! You people do not live in the real world if you think other wise.... Bad guys will always get a gun or hammer or knife or ax or some kind of weapon to kill and ROB people !!!!!! Sorry but true always has been that way always will be !!!!!! Face the facts !!! Imho if u don't teach kids or people in general about guns you are asking for trouble, if kids know what guns can do and what the results are it may cut down on the accidental shoots that Involve kids... Just my opinion .....

Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #4

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Fed up with over protecting parents. They think that by never bringing up real life issues that it will protect their kids??
What makes me laugh the most are those extremely strict parents that end up with pregnant 16 year olds and drunk kids. Instead of teaching their kids real life stuff they want to hide everything until their kids have to learn the right way.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Quote:
I seen the word ‘gun’ on it
Yeah- OHHHHH Kayyyyy.

(If this was a TV, I'd be looking for the control to turn up the brightness)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My 2 year old little girl gets mad at me because I won't let her shoot my .300 Winchester Magnum. (I think that's cooler than the abrievated version.)

Cars kill so many people a year. I don't let her see anything with cars in it. When we use the cars I make sure she keeps her eyes closed. My little girl understanding the world she lives in? Not if I can help it.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Ropin- with the number of kids that drown each year, I make sure none of my grandkids ever drink water, and they have to keep their eyes closed when they are taking a bath. And God forbid if it should rain..........

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones72 View Post
You have got to be kidding me.... Guns and robberies are a part of life !!!!! Not a good part but a fact !!!! You people do not live in the real world if you think other wise.... Bad guys will always get a gun or hammer or knife or ax or some kind of weapon to kill and ROB people !!!!!! Sorry but true always has been that way always will be !!!!!! Face the facts !!! Imho if u don't teach kids or people in general about guns you are asking for trouble, if kids know what guns can do and what the results are it may cut down on the accidental shoots that Involve kids... Just my opinion .....
What? You didn't hear? Guns and robberies are much like house fires; if you ignore them they don't exist!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you never teach your girls about sex, they will never get raped.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just post a sign on the parents house "No Guns Inside".

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 02-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.