Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Modified Gun Leading To Prosecution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Modified Gun Leading To Prosecution

So, I was curious to see if this is just hearsay or if it has happened before but can anyone post up an actual court case where someone had modified their carry gun or home defense gun and successfully prosecuted?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
So, I was curious to see if this is just hearsay or if it has happened before but can anyone post up an actual court case where someone had modified their carry gun or home defense gun and successfully prosecuted?
The only time people are prosecuted for mods is if they are no longer 922r compliant or they make a illegal modification according to the NFA. Doing a basic mod on a fire arm will not get you in no more trouble then putting rims on your car. I have only come across like 2 articles in the past years where someone was successfully screwed and one if i remember right was a vertical forgrip slant thing on a AR pistol which is not covered under the law but they can still get you for it. I am not talking about a real vertical forgrip I am talking about the triangle shaped one.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

That's not what I meant.

What I'm looking for is a self defense shooting that was deemed a good shoot by police but in court the fact that they used a modified trigger, just an example, was used against them by the DA. Using it as an example to the jury against that person's character.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #4

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

I think he meant in a self defense shooting scenario,he wants actual cases of over zealous prosecutors hanging someone on the basis of "he did X and Y to his carry gun,making it as deadly as possible,he had to have been LOOKING for trouble"

Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong
I think he meant in a self defense shooting scenario,he wants actual cases of over zealous prosecutors hanging someone on the basis of "he did X and Y to his carry gun,making it as deadly as possible,he had to have been LOOKING for trouble"
Which they all do. That's their job. A justified shoot is a justified shoot. You will never carry a gun that they won't pick apart from the stands and use against you. So carry what's the most effective for you.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #6

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 55

OOOOOoooooooo, im sure somthing like that can be found from using hollow points. There are still a lot of people out there who believe it is still unethical and many anti gun folks would consider it a unnecessary mod to inflict suffering. Can't say I have herd of any such thing though.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #7

Liked 483 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 1619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
That's not what I meant.

What I'm looking for is a self defense shooting that was deemed a good shoot by police but in court the fact that they used a modified trigger, just an example, was used against them by the DA. Using it as an example to the jury against that person's character.
A "good shoot" is a "good shoot"! PERIOD!

HOWEVER, they will use ANY and ALL modifications against you in a civil case

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.etsy.com/shop/customkicksbycasey
People Like This 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2882

Yep, prosecutors have a whole litany of stuff to use against folks charged with murder or manslaughter. The good news is that good shoots never make it to court. If you are in court charged with murder or manslaughter:

1. The cops did not believe your story.
2. The prosecutor did not believe your story.
3. The grand jury or the judge who bound you over for trial had problems with your story.

There is a very good chance the jury will not believe your story.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #9

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk
...HOWEVER, they will use ANY and ALL modifications against you in a civil case
I agree with this. I don't think they even have to be valid but attorneys are good at throwing a turkey on the table and let the opposing attorney "object". Everyone still heard it and even though it may not be permissible as evidence, the seed is still planted in the Jury's head.

Not many attorneys care about justice. They just want to win their case regardless of the laws and details.

Taking the other side - I always think about having the opportunity to ask my own questions - like:

Do you keep your car tuned up? Yes from most.

Is that so you can run over people and they have less chance of getting away?

Or...Do you keep your steak knives on your kitchen counter sharp?

Is that so you can stab someone and obtain better penetration? and the list goes on...

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #10

Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts

By-in-large, it doesn't matter a bit what mods you have installed (albeit legal mods), the important matter is right to self defense and use of deadly force, doesn't matter if it's a gun, a knife, or a stapler; all the same

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

People Like This