You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Missouri CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 412 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
I still think you should take the class !....................
But should it be mandated by statute?

What other right requires or mandates education and training before one can exercise that Right?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:22 AM   #12
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7543 Times on 4140 Posts
Likes Given: 5881

What other right involves the ability to kill, accidentally, negligently, deliberately, etc.?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #13

Liked 2234 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 2345

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911man View Post
But should it be mandated by statute?

What other right requires or mandates education and training before one can exercise that Right?
I said (I) think you should still take the test, NOT that it should be mandated !..............
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4096 Times on 2327 Posts
Likes Given: 2641

There are 7 states that have Constitutional carry. There are 12 additional states under consideration. None of the current 7 states have gun crimes like Illinois or California.
All of the 20,000 current U.S. gun laws were enacted due to safety concerns in one form or another. The addition of rules concerning registration and training were enacted following the Civil War 1865. This was used to restrict Freedmen from owning firearms. This same safety rule was used in the North East to prohibit the Irish and others from arming.
The Founding Fathers knew the addition of such rules would invalidate the 2nd Amendment. We know that these dictates are doing that today.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #15

Liked 6261 Times on 3467 Posts
Likes Given: 10474

there will always be idiots with guns. just a fact of life we are going to have deal with. all a person has to do is watch some of the idiots with gun on YouTube videos to know they are out there.

now, i do suggest and recommend some sort of training, but it should never be mandatory in order to exercise a Constitutional right. even when a person gets training, one still needs to use common sense and some sort of logic and restraint when carrying a gun. in the case of the OP's story, i seriously doubt even had that young man gotten training, that it would have ended any differently. IMO, mandatory training isn't going to weed out the idiots. they are probably still smart enough to pass the course.

so IMO, we deal with the idiots as they come along. when they do something with a gun, whether by stupidity, dangerous to others, or illegal, then they should be prosecuted to the full limits of the law. when such idiots are jailed for stupid stuff with a gun, and enough of them are prosecuted, maybe a clear message will emerge, that society and lawful gun carriers and owners are not going to tolerate such behaviour. we as lawful gun carriers, and owners need to stand up and voice our concerns. that we as a community are not going to put up with idiots with guns doing stupid things, that could get someone hurt or killed, because of stupidity.

owning, and carrying a gun may be a right, but like any other right, it's not absolute, and it carries extreme amount of responsibility. and some people to tend to overlook that part, the responsibility portion.

but i would rather suffer the few fools, and those few with serious mental issues that fall through the cracks, than to have my gun rights further infringed upon anymore than they are. no matter how much training, whether mandatory, or voluntary, is going to weed out all of the idiots. no system is perfect and it never will be.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I know there are other states that have similar laws, but as of Jan 1 this year Missouri does not require a CCW permit or training for anyone of legal age to carry concealed. When I first heard this I thought that anytime a law abiding citizen has the ability to protect themselves is always welcome. More guns in the hands of the good guys just couldn't be a bad thing......could it?
Today I heard on the radio that a young man shot at a thief who stole his cell phone. He shot at him 7 times and managed to hit him once, in the foot. Needless to say he was arrested. When the police questioned him he said "I thought I could do that because of the new law". Clearly he's a few bricks short of a load. Now how many times will a newbie gun owner with his concealed weapon get into trouble because he thought it was OK?
Clearly if he was trained, had to physically appear at the training, then the state police to apply he would have had to muster up some common sense.
I am all for gun owners rights
But I firmly believe that this law will create more problems than solutions. True there may be some criminals hesitant because more people may be carrying.
But I would prefer a trained person who went through the proper channels to carry concealed than a newbie with a gun who does it just because he can.
OK, I found some more information on this shooting. It happened back in Jan.

This had nothing to do with Missouri's new constitutional/permitless carry.

When the shooter referred to "the new law" he was speaking of Missouri's new "Stand Your Ground "law, not the new law regarding permitless carry.

http://ktla.com/2017/01/26/missouri-man-accused-in-shooting-thought-new-gun-law-protected-him/

This guy was under the impression that the new SYG law gave him permission to shoot at a fleeing BG.

Quote:
told police, “the only reason I thought it was OK to shoot at him while he was running away was because of what happened with the new year with the gun law change,”
Geez, I wonder who planted that seed in his feeble mind?

I'll bet that if you did back into the history and the debates about this new SYG law you will find media reports and politicians opposed to this law, making false claims that it will allow a man with a gun to shoot just about anyone that does him/her wrong.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #17

Liked 6261 Times on 3467 Posts
Likes Given: 10474

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911man View Post
OK, I found some more information on this shooting. It happened back in Jan.

This had nothing to do with Missouri's new constitutional/permitless carry.

When the shooter referred to "the new law" he was speaking of Missouri's new "Stand Your Ground "law, not the new law regarding permitless carry.

http://ktla.com/2017/01/26/missouri-man-accused-in-shooting-thought-new-gun-law-protected-him/

This guy was under the impression that the new SYG law gave him permission to shoot at a fleeing BG.

Geez, I wonder who planted that seed in his feeble mind?

I'll bet that if you did back into the history and the debates about this new SYG law you will find media reports and politicians opposed to this law, making false claims that it will allow a man with a gun to shoot just about anyone that does him/her wrong.
there are people who are under the false impression that states with a Castle Law. or a Stand Yor Ground Law, that it gives people rights to use deadly force without consequences. that just isn't true at all. they essentially allow law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves without having to retreat, and the ability to defend themselves, and others with up to using deadly force.

all i can say is, people need to read up on the laws and understand them. none of these laws give you the right to shoot, or kill people indiscriminately, and without consequences.

maybe there is felony stupid after all. let the idiots do as they will then prosecute the crap out of them, and throw their stupid butts in prison for several years. maybe the message of doing stupid s**t will filter down and they will learn that it will get you prison time when you do it.

shooting at someone, running away with a stolen cell phone was beyond stupid! being stupid with a gun should be a felony!
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #18

Quote:
there are people who are under the false impression that states with a Castle Law. or a Stand Yor Ground Law, that it gives people rights to use deadly force without consequences. that just isn't true at all.
No it is not true at all, but their are millions of anti-gunners that believe this to be true and now apparently their are those that carry for Self Defense also believe it to be true.

This guy must have gotten his information on the NEW Stand Your Ground Law from CNN or maybe The DU.
Dallas53 Likes This