Million man gun march - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Million man gun march

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
If you don't have the time to write your Congress person than it makes sense to donate to the NRA.

Let them do it for you.

Join the NRA and affiliates before it's to late.
Sorry to use this as an example John, but, what!? What does one thing have to do with another?

In the time it took for you to post you could have written your Congress critter. Here's a novel idea: join/donate to NRA TOO. Crazy, I know...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 01-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #32

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha11 View Post
Education is not an issue here but thanks for sounding like a biggot. Just stating the obvious. If gun bans werent brought up why would we honestly need the nra? And by looking at the obvious what good are they accomplishing? With this muslim president in office nra doesnt have much chance. He is out to disarm the white man for his pride and joy.......i believe all gun owners should stand up for their rights and take a different approach than taking the coward way out n paying someone to protect them....
I understand where you are coming from but, unfortunately, times have changed drastically since the late 1800's. To understand the history of the NRA, you have to understand the history of the anti-gun movement. Like it or not, they have muscle to "help" draft legislation that "helps" law abiding gun owners like ourselves. Sadly, there is a lot of political jockeying and give/take that is chipping away the 2nd amendment. The NRA is an advocate that tries to prevent this legally. If the NRA fails, then we all may be thrown back 150 years to settle things the "civil" way. Bite the bullet and make a $25 donation!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Write instead of March.

To all you guy and gals, the following is a letter I have already sent to 4 senators, Vice President Joe Biden, and President Barack Obama. Write to your senators in every state, and the people in the Whitehouse. Millions of letters will get the message through if we can't March on Washington, because of personal logistics.

Nicholas E.G. Atkinson
1126 25th St. #5
Des Moines
IA 50311
December 31st, 2012

Dear …………..,
I am writing to request that you vote against any legislation that infringes the right of Americans to keep and bear arms. The absolute tragedy of Sandy Hook is being exploited by the experienced and seasoned gun control advocates, as they do after every tragedy involving guns.
The meaning of the 2nd Amendment is to provide for a militia. A militia is only as good as its equipment, which means that the equipment must be technologically current in order to be effective. This directs that at least semi-automatic weapons are necessary in the hands of the civilian population. There are hundreds of thousands of semi-automatic weapons owned by normal hard working civilian Americans, who are ready, willing and able to defend the USA if necessary.
The fact that the American civilian population is armed is obviously disquieting to those who require absolute power without restriction. This is always the case in any country. The leaders in this country who advocate disarming the civilian population do not advertise the fact that they have personal armed security, while publicly denouncing civilian gun ownership. Gun ownership in the USA has always been in place and has never been a cause for widespread concern for the vast majority of the American population.
I am not a proponent of conspiracy theories, but I have read some history of the human race and I have concluded that tyranny can arise insidiously and unannounced at any time, or an invasion can occur from anywhere. The USA was founded by people who knew this first hand, and tried to provide through hard legislation that if it ever happened to the people of the USA, they would be in a position to resist. The Constitution and Amendments are in place to ensure the political health of the American people.
The tragedy of Sandy Hook is a new test of the sanctity of the established legislation. The legislation is correct and in place. Legislation will always be circumvented by individuals bent on their own agenda. It should also be noted that the tragedies we have experienced over the past few years have been carried out by solitary individuals who were declared mentally incapacitated in some way. The latest perpetrator killed his mother and stole her guns because he had none of his own, and could not obtain one legally.
Banning semi-automatic weapons from all will not subdue the outrageous acts of the few; I am convinced that a person determined to wreak havoc will find the best means available. For example, poison or homemade bombs have proven to be very effective in killing innocents in the past, and will probably be used in the future, in addition to guns and knives. Life is very hard and risky. No matter what we do to make life Utopian, there is always the strong possibility that someone, somewhere will wreak havoc, and cause multiple deaths.
Banning semi-automatic weapons is not the answer to the problem, only the personal desire of some of our elected leaders and the owners of the media. There is no answer to insanity, only careful observation. The act committed by Adam Lanza was committed by him, not the weapon. The media and certain legislators have concentrated on the weapon, not the monster who committed the act. I have noticed that each time, and fortunately it is not a frequent ocurrence, that an atrocity of the Adam Lanza and James Holmes nature is committed; the media immediately concentrates on the weapons used, and delegates the act itself and the perpetrator to a secondary position in the eyes of the public. This is manipulation of the people through the media for an agenda of civilian disarmament.
Hundreds of thousands of Americans own semi-automatic weapons that are not used irresponsibly which has been the case in the past and will continue to be the case in the future. Please do not allow an emotional tide to carry sway over the objectivity that is needed at times like this. Yes the act was atrocious, yes it should never have happened, and yes it should not happen again, but emotionally charged legislation is a ‘knee jerk’ reaction to a problem of the very few, and should not affect the vast majority of Americans.

Yours sincerely,
Nicholas Atkinson

Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #34

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In 1968 we were a small broke organization. The NRA with a hand full of members and empty pockets was supposed to defeat the largest richest political party along with the Teamsters Union And AF of L Big Labor?
Blaming those few of us who fought all we could against the LBJ and Kennedy Political machines makes me Damn Mad. Just like today lazy stupid gun owners would not help us. After we saved what we could we have dunb asses that claim we sold out.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #35

At that time the N RIFLE A was struggling with agreeing to ban handguns in America, period. By the skin of our teeth this was rejected in a turnaround at the last minute and they fought this and saved as much of our, and by extension arguably the world's, freedom as they could.

For those who think there is a conspiracy by the NRA to promote gun sales I can only 1) ask if you don't think The Left is serious about disarming America and 2) congratulate you on your support of Ron Paul.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Show up at the polls that's what gets Govt's attention.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #37

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
I love the Idea Actually but I wouldnt just do it in Washington, it should happen across the USA right out front of The County Seats! All Politics is local, they need to see the locals standing side by side as neighbors not just mobbing the Crapital. That would be much tougher to ignore than a single gathering and I bet allot more people would participate knowing they wouldnt have to travel far and stare across the line at Federal Police instead of our own local forces that probably would be less confrontational with Neighbors!

We wouldnt have to scream or yell, throw crap like the Occupiers or set up tents. Stand silently out front of our local government offices with the same sign, "I support an "Unfettered" 2nd Amendment and I Vote". That would get their attention better than a million targets on a field listening to overpaid "Keynote Speakers" and "Republicrats" paying lip service to us in public then stabbing us in the back when we close our eyes for a second!

Think about it- many hundreds of separate gatherings, with Millions of folks who's influence cant be limited by a Protest Permit Application or press passes, just come as you are and tell everyone you know to come join us.
I like this idea. In CA, we just further scared the antis. A strong peaceful protest like this is the way to go, IMHO.

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 01-05-2013 at 04:54 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #38

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
At that time the N RIFLE A was struggling with agreeing to ban handguns in America, period. By the skin of our teeth this was rejected in a turnaround at the last minute and they fought this and saved as much of our, and by extension arguably the world's, freedom as they could.

For those who think there is a conspiracy by the NRA to promote gun sales I can only 1) ask if you don't think The Left is serious about disarming America and 2) congratulate you on your support of Ron Paul.
Your last paragraph confused me.

1. I have written all my congressmen, called the governor, and have called congressmen of other states as well. I am well aware that the agenda is to disarm.

2. I am a proud member of the NRA.

3. What does my support for Ron Paul have to do with this?

-Matt

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
I like this idea. In CA, we just further scared the antis. A strong peaceful protest like this is the way to go, IMHO.
Based on? IMO you do not understand The Left.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 01-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
filter777 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #40

Liked 1444 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
The only protest that will get the attention of Congress would be siege ... otherwise they will just ride it out like the did the OWS protesters of 2011/12

As I mentioned in another thread supposedly there are 80 million firearms owners, yet only 4 million NRA members. So there are 76 million firearms owners who have all manner of excuses as to why they can't/won't/shouldn't/unable to offer up a measly $25 for a membership

Strength in numbers ... too many firearms owners do NOT understand this philosophy
http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx

Not all gun owners are gun people, that is why the numbers puzzle you.

I suspect that the ones that don't join share my philosophy about the NRA. The NRA can be over-the-top with the scare tacticts, and at times over the top with stupid....because it makes money. And that 25% of gun owners who are buying it, well, what was it P.T. Barnum said? I get the NRA mail every month, I know of what I speak.

Just once I would like to hear the NRA say, Well, guys, today we aren't under any major threats, so we can make it this month without any "extra" and live off of what we have taken in in the last 100 years or so. Wayne's mortgage payment is made for the month so we are good.......

The immediate past NRA snake-oil was the rediculous Illinois bill, the current is the "V.P. Told the mayor of Boston....." Who knows what the one after that will be, but I can gurantee, there will be another one after this one fizzles.

The NRA Strength in numbers is not near as much as their strength in dollars.
Gallup polls claim that 34% of American adults own guns. If 25% of them support the NRA then only around 8.5% of Americans are supporting the NRA.

One interesting figure in the Gallup polls is that 41% of gun owners are Republican leaning and 28% are Democrat leaning. Not nearly as big a difference as some conservatives would like to believe.

Another point is that there are tens of thousands of gun owners that are not involved in gun issues; they may just have a passing interest, or simply don't care. A lot of homes have the old dusty shotgun that belonged to grandpa, wrapped in newspaper in the attic. They would be considered gun owners, and their numbers included in homes that had a gun, even though that thing may not be shot in generations.

Things ain't always as simple as we might like them to be.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

gregs887 Likes This