Militia as described in my family history

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Militia as described in my family history

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Militia as described in my family history

I was reading through a bound edition of my family's history that starts about 1750 and ends in the 1980s. This is on my mother's (Norwegian) side of the family. In the history section around the Civil War the family writer at the time included this paragraph describing the topic of "Militia" in around that time. I hope you enjoy the read. It takes place in Black Hammer, Minn.:

Drilling at Home to be Ready

It was also Ordered by the Government that all able bodied men should organize themselves into a Militia and form a Company in each Township by electing a Captain, Seargent and Other officers and set aside Saturday afternoon for drilling a disabled Officer or Veteran Soldier was sent out over the country to give lessons at first, and those that had guns would have them along and others would make wooden guns that would answer the purpose for practice to learn to handle them, and go through the performance of first Attention, Present Arms, Order Arms, Shoulder Arms, Forward March, and right about face, Charge Bayonette and Charge Catridge and fire, and Meny other Manovers but I merely mention these so you may know that I also took part in these practices and we young chaps certainly injoyed it immencely and Most of the older once had ben Soldiers in Norway and while it was a little different here they soon caught on and was given great credit by the Officers for learning so fast and handling themselves with such splendid Military tacts.

Now these practices only went on in the summer time and was done for the purpose of having the men trained in case of emergency.

Wow, I just realized that first paragraph was all one sentence. I also included the misspellings and the random capitalizations that I guess were not uncommon back then.

Can you imagine OUR own government suggesting that we citizens organize ourselves into our OWN militias?

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #2

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I am sure they would support the idea of sticks and wooden guns.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #3

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

In NYS, militia are illegal.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
In NYS, militia are illegal.
thats probably true of at least several states.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #5

Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Arizona has a state militia law specifically authorizing a militia separate from the state national guard. Our extremely lax state gun laws are meant to directly support this militia as well as to exemplify what our 2nd Amendment rights should look like.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2011/04/28/az-gov-jan-brewer-signs-bill-authorizing-volunteer-state-militia/

http://arizonastatemilitia.com/about-us/code-of-conduct/

The code of conduct makes me even more proud to be a Citizen of Arizona, it makes me feel that even if the rest of the US comes crashing down into a civil war and Mad Max is running the show that we here will be the standard bearers returning the light of civilization to those who have fallen.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

California has laws against "drilling as a militia" as well.

The only thing we can do here is be ready on an individual basis, with a personal pistol and carbine and lots of ammo.

I'm sure if the Calif AG, Kamala Harris, heard about any militia meetings, she would send in a SWAT raid.

Last edited by Shoobee; 04-10-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
I was reading through a bound edition of my family's history that starts about 1750 and ends in the 1980s. This is on my mother's (Norwegian) side of the family. In the history section around the Civil War the family writer at the time included this paragraph describing the topic of "Militia" in around that time. I hope you enjoy the read. It takes place in Black Hammer, Minn.:

Drilling at Home to be Ready

It was also Ordered by the Government that all able bodied men should organize themselves into a Militia and form a Company in each Township by electing a Captain, Seargent and Other officers and set aside Saturday afternoon for drilling a disabled Officer or Veteran Soldier was sent out over the country to give lessons at first, and those that had guns would have them along and others would make wooden guns that would answer the purpose for practice to learn to handle them, and go through the performance of first Attention, Present Arms, Order Arms, Shoulder Arms, Forward March, and right about face, Charge Bayonette and Charge Catridge and fire, and Meny other Manovers but I merely mention these so you may know that I also took part in these practices and we young chaps certainly injoyed it immencely and Most of the older once had ben Soldiers in Norway and while it was a little different here they soon caught on and was given great credit by the Officers for learning so fast and handling themselves with such splendid Military tacts.

Now these practices only went on in the summer time and was done for the purpose of having the men trained in case of emergency.

Wow, I just realized that first paragraph was all one sentence. I also included the misspellings and the random capitalizations that I guess were not uncommon back then.

Can you imagine OUR own government suggesting that we citizens organize ourselves into our OWN militias?
Thank you, I enjoyed reading some 'truth' about our history for a change.
If you consider the application of the word 'militia' today it not only refers to just 'able bodied men' but ALL citizens who are NOT 'agents of the government'!!!
ANY LAWS which prohibit militias are as un Constitutional as 99% of the anti-gun laws are!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-11-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The California Legislature seems to enjoy aligning itself with its sister state -- The Peoples Republic Of China.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #9

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

The present federal government, and many state governments, fear the people. That's why they are hell bend on disarming the populace.