Militia Defined?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Militia Defined?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8583 Times on 4957 Posts
Likes Given: 11147

Default Militia Defined?

I saw this on FB, WTF? If you are over the age 45 you are not the militia? I didn't know there was an upper age limit. Sounds like age discrimination to me!

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C13.txt

-STATUTE-
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are -
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
Naval Militia.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Not so bad really. All Post 45 Militiamen become Cols. As a Col. no more marches eating cold corn meal porriage. Carrying those god awful heavy Brown Bess muskets.

You still get your Rum ration. The cool blue uniform is great for picking up winches at the Ye Ole Inn.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Not so bad really. All Post 45 Militiamen become Cols. As a Col. no more marches eating cold corn meal porriage. Carrying those god awful heavy Brown Bess muskets.

You still get your Rum ration. The cool blue uniform is great for picking up winches at the Ye Ole Inn.
well i'm getting well north of 45, so sitting around Ye Ole Inn drinking rum and picking up wenches in my cool blue uniform is much more to my liking these days!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Way back when that statute was written, life was very hard. If you
were 45 years of age way back then, you were a real old man.

Last edited by Merkava_4; 01-08-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
Way back when that statute was written, life was very hard. If you
were 45 years of age way back then, you were a real old man.
when i was 45, i felt old too!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Does the modern Military want men over 45? Can you imagine the number of heart attacks on training fields? It would take Billions just for eye glasses and support hose. Rifles with recoil reducers? Mess halls with low fat and low salt food. The number of off base call girls yelling at GIs who wear hearing aids?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Liked 4301 Times on 2117 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Look on the bright side...
Being from California, your state is probably closest to having the weapons used when the militia act was written...

100 years from now at the 2nd civil war reenactment.

My grandchild: "Wait, I'm confused... I thought the 2nd civil war was in 2014."

My son: "It was."

My Grandson: "Then why are they using muskets and slingshots?"

My son: "Ooooh...... let me tell you about California's gun laws."

Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Until the mid 1800s the average human lifespan was 35 years.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From a report to Congress, dated 1982.....

"In his comments on the rights protected by the Constitution, a leading constitutional commentator, in discussing the right protected by the Second Amendment, wrote:

The Right is General. It may be supposed from the phraseology of this provision that the right to keep and bear arms was only guaranteed to the militia; but this would be an interpretation not warranted by the intent. The militia, as has been elsewhere explained, consists of those persons who, under the law, are liable to the performance of military duty, and are officered and enrolled for service when called upon. But the law may make provision for the enrollment of all who are fit to perform military duty, or of a small number only, or it may wholly omit to make any provision at all; and if the right were limited to those (p.86)enrolled, the purpose of this guarantee might be defeated altogether by the action or neglect to act of the government it was meant to hold in check. The meaning of the provision undoubtedly is, that the people, from whom the militia must be taken, shall have the right to keep and bear arms, and they need no permission or regulation of law for the purpose. But this enables the government to have a well regulated militia; for to bear arms implies something more than the mere keeping; it implies the learning to handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep them ready for their efficient use; in other words, it implies a right to meet for voluntary discipline in arms, observing in doing so the laws of public order. (Emphasis added.) Thomas M. Cooley, LL.D., General Principles of Constitutional Law in the United States of America, 298-299 (3rd ed. 1898)."

See the document here: http://www.guncite.com/journals/senrpt/fgd-guar.html

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6400 Times on 3202 Posts
Likes Given: 6894

Even today, there are not so many 45+ in the Armed Forces that arent staff pukes or upper NCO's. Mostly by that age we were either too tired to play the game anymore or the Military got tired of us. 21 years was plenty for me and I was still 42 when I put in my notice to retire! It was a great move on my part, never been happier than the day I became a civilian again.

As far as a "real" Militia goes, the US no longer has one other than the Reserves and National Guard although they do sport a huge list of recallables like me and a couple million others that have retired plus the selective service registration conscripts evey young man until they are 30+. They have moved long past the "hope everyone does their part as a citizen and joins when the SHTF" Thing that once was just a given in our free country.

Its not that the 2nd Ammendment is out of date by any means, we just didnt have the greatest armed forces in the world when it was written, just a bunch of freedom loving citizens that answered the call to "Pick up a weapon and follow me" when it was needed most. The citizens of our nation have answered that call countless times since, each and every time, our "Regular" forces became stronger and the Citizen Soldier less involved. By the mid 70's the "Militia" had become a joke until early in the 80's when we again became part of the larger force defending our nation in war.

Sadly, today, our own government has become so powerful, it wont tolerate anyone not bound by the oath of enlistment standing for our flag. I think that makes the BOR's even more relevant than back in the day they were written; after all, the long arm of the law wasn't very long in the 1700's, the Malitia was made up of citizens so they likely wouldnt strike out against their neighbors without really good cause. Today, our "Militia" takes all its marching orders from Uncle Sam and none from the People FOOG.