Military Orders to LA, California - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Military Orders to LA, California

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Does the flash hider on the mini unscrew? Replace it with a muzzle brake or thread protector if it does.
Er? What's the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash-suppressor?

Here's a muzzle brake on Amazon, but it looks very similar to the flash-supressor that's already on my Mini-14.
Amazon.com: Mini 14 Muzzle Brake/Black: Sports & Outdoors

I did read that flash-supressors are identified specifically in the "assault weapons" ban, but that muzzle brakes are OK since they aren't mentioned. Can I just call my FS a brake? What's the difference?
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #12

Things are looking a little brighter. I'm finding some information saying that "possession" of high capacity magazines is not illegal. If anybody has some other info on this, I'd appreciate it. The law does say that "import" of magazines is illegal for CA residents, but it has the military "non-resident" clause exception.

A best case scenario now is that I can keep all my mags, just take off the flash-hider on my Mini-14 and completely disassemble for storage my M-4. That way I'd have all my stuff, but still be legal.

I still need the information on being able to keep a disassembled M-4. Can I keep a pistol grip lower receiver with telescoping stock and the flash-suppressor seperate in a disassembled condition?

If all that works out to the best case and then imagine if the National Right to Carry also passes! Most of the CA goo will have been wiped out for me. =)

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Er? What's the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash-suppressor?

Here's a muzzle brake on Amazon, but it looks very similar to the flash-supressor that's already on my Mini-14.
Amazon.com: Mini 14 Muzzle Brake/Black: Sports & Outdoors

I did read that flash-supressors are identified specifically in the "assault weapons" ban, but that muzzle brakes are OK since they aren't mentioned. Can I just call my FS a brake? What's the difference?
Shoot the weapon at night and you will find out. A flash hider reduces the amount of flash the shooter sees. A muzzle brake reduces recoil by redirecting some of the gas usually up or to the sides. You dont want one that directs gas down if you are shooting prone. I got rid of a carry revolver with a muzzle brake/vented barrel after firing it in dim light. No way I could get off an aimed quick second shot. Some sellers are calling flash hiders muzzle brakes when they are not. There are some combination units which is somewhat of a contradiction.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #14

Sorry to hear of your move to Commiforina.... we need good men like you in Virgina!

These people should be able to give the the straight scoop on the crappy laws in their state, they have beeb having to live with them so they should know.....

Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

Hey Can't you leave your firearms in the base armory? I don't think the State has any jurisdiction there.....

Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thumbs down

Since you wont officialy be a resident, I do believe your mags will be fine after all they are in a way "the militaries" or if you want to get really technical you could disasseemble each one of them befor you cross the border then reassemble them once you get to your new temperary place of residence. The pistols, make sure they are on the ca legal list and no mags over 10. As to the rifles themselves I am 90% sure the muzzle break/flash suppresors are not an issue as long as they dont "silence" the weapon. And if they have any combination of at least 2 of the requirements of being "assault weapons" then it will be required that you put bullet buttons on the magazine catchs. Or you can not do any of the alterations and hope you dont get inspected for some reason, but why risk it, I know its stupid but once you get used to using them they arent... that bad..ish and yes the dissasemblement is legaly adequate way to d ew al with the m4

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
Since you wont officialy be a resident, I do believe your mags will be fine after all they are in a way "the militaries" or if you want to get really technical you could disasseemble each one of them befor you cross the border then reassemble them once you get to your new temperary place of residence.
These are privately owned and wouldn't be considered "the militaries".

I'm still reading and researching. Although possession of the high capacity mags is not illegal, bringing them into the state would be. So, now I'm stuck again. Can't legally cross the border. Uhg. Apparently, I can disassemble the mags and keep them disassembled though. LOL

My Ruger 10/45 22LR is now a problem though because it has a threaded barrel is considered an "assault weapon" too according to the definition.

I'm getting pretty tired of looking though. I'm not going to fill out any papers or pay any fees. Frankly, I don't want to spend time disassembling all my mags or whatever either. I also don't want to buy a bunch of 10 round mags either. I think I'll just leave half of my stuff in storage at my relative's including:
1) M-4 "assault weapon with 30 round mags"... double banned
2) XDm 45 "13 round mags" ...banned
3) Ruger 22/45 w/threaded barrel "assault weapon" ...banned
4) Beretta 92FS "14 round mags" ...banned
5) Another Beretta 92FS "14 round mags" ...banned
6) Mini-14 tactical w/flash-hider "assult weapon with 20 round mags" ...double banned

A hodge-pod of items get nailed including the 22LR target pistol. LOL Totally, useless hassle!

Combined with my military PCS orders, the rest of my stuff is not required to be registered, pay any fees, not classified as an assault weapon and all have 10 or less capacity magazines and are legal for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabar
These people should be able to give the the straight scoop on the crappy laws in their state, they have been having to live with them so they should know.....
Calguns.net
Hey Can't you leave your firearms in the base armory? I don't think the State has any jurisdiction there.....
I've been reading everything on that CALGUNS.net website. thanks!

Honestly, I'd rather leave my guns with my relative than the base armory. When SHTF, I'm sure I wouldn't have access to the armory.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My condolences on the loss of your freedoms.

Personally, i'd pick up a couple of low-capacity 10 round mags for the XDM for use. Afterall, the job market is TIGHT right now, a bit too tight to justify jumping ship over an assignment you may be out of in a couple of years. Perhaps the next step should be planning an escape route, perhaps through an in-demand specialty skill of some type.

They say, with proper lubricant, positioning, and relaxtion exercises, living with those crazy Cali firearms regulations can be bearable for most people.

edit* I couldn't do it myself. I am constantly tempted by all the Cali teaching jobs at their community colleges, but i couldn't take my car (header) or enjoy some of my firearms. Enjoy the weather, at least.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-13-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #18

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor

Uhg. My Ruger 10/45 22LR is now a problem though because it has a threaded barrel is considered an "assault weapon" too according to the definition.
Actually it is exempted as a rimfire.
Your mini is only banned because of the flash hider...
The ar your simplest solution would be to buy a bullet button, but since you don't want to spend any money you're sol there:P

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Actually it is exempted as a rimfire.
I've been looking and looking, but I can't find the rimfire exception. It says any semi-auto pistol with a threaded barrel is an "assault weapon".
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Pajg- the rimfire exemption applies to long guns, not to handguns. Its in category 3 type fireams- http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.