Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Military Orders to LA, California (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/military-orders-la-california-49762/)

Marthor 10-13-2011 12:23 PM

Military Orders to LA, California

Aaaaah! :eek:

I have a new assignment to Los Angeles, California next summer. My firearms are weeping. My VA CCW permit will no longer be good for anything. My new Springfield XDm 45 13 capacity handgun is illegal, because they have a 10 capacity ban. I'll have to store it half-way across the country. There's a ban on weapons with flash-supressors too, so I may not have my Bushmaster or my tactical Mini-14 either!

I won't be a "resident", so at least i won't have to "register" anything. They have a clause for military exception on that.

Still trying to find out more info, but it already looks horrible.

Marthor 10-13-2011 12:29 PM

Aaaah! My Berettas are out too because of the magazine limit! Aaaah!

jebsca 10-13-2011 12:37 PM

Seams like you can get ten round mags for a 92. I guess I am assuming your beretta is a 92.

texaswoodworker 10-13-2011 12:47 PM

Is it possible to be reassigned to another place? I would try to find some lower capacity mags if you can.

JTJ 10-13-2011 12:52 PM

Does the flash hider on the mini unscrew? Replace it with a muzzle brake or thread protector if it does. You will be about 300 miles from AZ and might be able to find a place to store them there. Lower capacity mags are available for your pistols and your mini.

rigjumpr 10-13-2011 01:15 PM

Where are you going to be stationed at, in LA, and will this be a TDY assignment?

Marthor 10-13-2011 02:24 PM

No problem for storage. I have a relative who will store any or all for free. I'm not TDY, it's a PCS (permanent change of station) that will likely be for 3 years long tour.

If they make a lower capacity for the Beretta 92FS, I'll have to do that I guess. If I take off the flash-supressor off the mini-14, then that one will be OK too. I do have a 5 round mag that fits flush with the stock.

If I disassemble my M-4, I wonder if I can store it as disassembled? Anyone know that? I don't have any 10 round magazines though. They are all 30.

I don't think they even make 10 capacity magazines for the XDm 45 full size, so all my magazines will be banned! :eek:

Does anyone know if I can buy weapons in CA with PCS orders? I won't be getting a CA driver licence while there. In VA, you can buy on your PCS orders even if you don't have a VA licence.

Now, I'm highly interested in seeing that National Right to Carry law passed by congress. That would make my VA CCW permit good in CA. Hopefully, that will be signed into law within my first year there. :D

Overkill0084 10-13-2011 02:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your remote assignment ;) You will eventually find your way back to the US. I would make some calls to gun shops around the military bases in CA and see if what your various options are. You may luck out and find that there are a number of options which will allow you to bring the bulk of your collection into compliance w/ the laws of your host country :rolleyes:

Marthor 10-13-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 600464)
Is it possible to be reassigned to another place?

No. They have people whine about where they're getting sent all the time. Once you have an assignment selection, it's go or get out. If you choose to get out, you finish serving whatever time commitment you have left and then you are forced out.

I'll be going without whining to them. I'll do all my whining here instead. :p

JTJ 10-13-2011 02:46 PM

Springfield does make 10 rnd mags for the XDM 45. Who did you get mad at you to draw a tour to the PRK?