Michigan handgun registration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Michigan handgun registration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Michigan handgun registration

Are any of you Michigan visitors who take your handgun along?

I'm a past MI resident (Wayne/Westland) and now live in TX most of the winter. I claim TX as my resident state. I spend every other summer in MI, but this year I now will have 3 handguns and a 10/22 rifle in my RV. I've read the MI website about registering handguns and getting an ownership card or something. I know the law was recently modified.

Can anyone tell me about non-resident, visitor handgun ownership in Michigan? I'd like to target shoot a little on a relative's 40 acres near Gladwin and I want to stay legal. I know I need to register at least the handguns. I think my Ruger 10/22 is OK. I actually bought the 10/22 in MI a couple of years ago on my last visit.

I'm taking the class for my CHL here in TX and I think having it will help when I get to MI.

Should I wait till I get there or can I do some of the paperwork before hand? The available info on the web said I need some kind of ownership transfer card or a permit to buy or something in order to bring a handgun to the state, even though I'm the legal owner already in TX. Then I need to fill out a form at the local LEO to register each handgun. The "inspection" part of the registering process was recently changed (deleted), I belive.

Do I have it mostly right? Maybe someone can enlighten me as to exactly how this works for non-resident visitors. The website was directed mostly to residents and I'm not sure which of the requirements apply to visitors.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Here ya go- About page 3. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billenrolled/House/pdf/2011-HNB-5225.pdf

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Michigan recognizes all other state's ccw permits,so if you are just a visitor here than you would be just fine bringing the pistols with a Texas CHL even for a few months visit.Visitors here can't bring handguns without a ccw from their own state but may bring any long gun 30"+.By the way i'm in Coleman,about 30 minutes from Gladwin.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Thanks. I d/l the PDF file and I'll study it till I get it. I suppose the legalese has to be precise and unambiguous but it sure makes it hard to read. Well, usually, anyway. I hear those yokels in NY figuratively shot themselves in the foot with that rushed through bill and now the cops can only load 7 cartridges in their hi-capacity mags.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Michigan recognizes all other state's ccw permits,so if you are just a visitor here than you would be just fine bringing the pistols with a Texas CHL even for a few months visit.Visitors here can't bring handguns without a ccw from their own state but may bring any long gun 30"+.By the way i'm in Coleman,about 30 minutes from Gladwin.
Yeah, I thought I'd read something like that. I guess I better get my CHL then.

You live S of Gladwin. His property is north up by Lance Lake. His dad has the adjacent 40 acres so 80 altogether. Makes for a nice little hunting preserve. We circle up the 3 RVs--mine, my brother and his son who owns the place--and we have a little camp for a week or so.

I'll usually stay down by Novi for most of the summer when in MI. Thanks for the information. Now it's doublely important to get my CHL before I leave TX.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

OK. As I read this it's kind of ambiguous about the license from another state thing.

" Sec 2. (8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply: (a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol."

In TX there is no requirement for any license to buy or transport...only to carry. It doesn't say purchase AND carry AND transport. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Of course, the only way I could have a license to show on demand would be if I had a CC permit. That's part (b), you need to have said license on you to show on demand.

Easiest solution is to get the CHL. Then I'll have no problems for sure.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 905 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 202

gotta love MI's screwy firearm laws, NOT