Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Michigan handgun registration (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/michigan-handgun-registration-82636/)

hawaiifrank 01-27-2013 11:56 PM

Michigan handgun registration

Are any of you Michigan visitors who take your handgun along?

I'm a past MI resident (Wayne/Westland) and now live in TX most of the winter. I claim TX as my resident state. I spend every other summer in MI, but this year I now will have 3 handguns and a 10/22 rifle in my RV. I've read the MI website about registering handguns and getting an ownership card or something. I know the law was recently modified.

Can anyone tell me about non-resident, visitor handgun ownership in Michigan? I'd like to target shoot a little on a relative's 40 acres near Gladwin and I want to stay legal. I know I need to register at least the handguns. I think my Ruger 10/22 is OK. I actually bought the 10/22 in MI a couple of years ago on my last visit.

I'm taking the class for my CHL here in TX and I think having it will help when I get to MI.

Should I wait till I get there or can I do some of the paperwork before hand? The available info on the web said I need some kind of ownership transfer card or a permit to buy or something in order to bring a handgun to the state, even though I'm the legal owner already in TX. Then I need to fill out a form at the local LEO to register each handgun. The "inspection" part of the registering process was recently changed (deleted), I belive.

Do I have it mostly right? Maybe someone can enlighten me as to exactly how this works for non-resident visitors. The website was directed mostly to residents and I'm not sure which of the requirements apply to visitors.

c3shooter 01-28-2013 12:11 AM

Here ya go- About page 3. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billenrolled/House/pdf/2011-HNB-5225.pdf

ninjatoth 01-28-2013 12:59 AM

Michigan recognizes all other state's ccw permits,so if you are just a visitor here than you would be just fine bringing the pistols with a Texas CHL even for a few months visit.Visitors here can't bring handguns without a ccw from their own state but may bring any long gun 30"+.By the way i'm in Coleman,about 30 minutes from Gladwin.

hawaiifrank 01-28-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1112977)

Thanks. I d/l the PDF file and I'll study it till I get it. I suppose the legalese has to be precise and unambiguous but it sure makes it hard to read. Well, usually, anyway. I hear those yokels in NY figuratively shot themselves in the foot with that rushed through bill and now the cops can only load 7 cartridges in their hi-capacity mags.

hawaiifrank 01-28-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 1113050)
Michigan recognizes all other state's ccw permits,so if you are just a visitor here than you would be just fine bringing the pistols with a Texas CHL even for a few months visit.Visitors here can't bring handguns without a ccw from their own state but may bring any long gun 30"+.By the way i'm in Coleman,about 30 minutes from Gladwin.

Yeah, I thought I'd read something like that. I guess I better get my CHL then.

You live S of Gladwin. His property is north up by Lance Lake. His dad has the adjacent 40 acres so 80 altogether. Makes for a nice little hunting preserve. We circle up the 3 RVs--mine, my brother and his son who owns the place--and we have a little camp for a week or so.

I'll usually stay down by Novi for most of the summer when in MI. Thanks for the information. Now it's doublely important to get my CHL before I leave TX.

hawaiifrank 01-28-2013 07:27 AM

OK. As I read this it's kind of ambiguous about the license from another state thing.

" Sec 2. (8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply: (a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol."

In TX there is no requirement for any license to buy or transport...only to carry. It doesn't say purchase AND carry AND transport. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Of course, the only way I could have a license to show on demand would be if I had a CC permit. That's part (b), you need to have said license on you to show on demand.

Easiest solution is to get the CHL. Then I'll have no problems for sure.

partdeux 01-29-2013 01:50 AM

gotta love MI's screwy firearm laws, NOT