Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   michagan teen arrested for legal open carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/michagan-teen-arrested-legal-open-carry-63238/)

downsouth 04-25-2012 01:04 PM

Teen says the only way to keep our rights is to exercise them. Good for him.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2875985/posts

mountainman13 04-25-2012 01:10 PM

This is an example of why I am opposed to open carry. It causes problems too often. I'm all for concealed.

Ranger-6 04-25-2012 01:35 PM

I would go to bet that Combs would have been Ok up until the time he refused to produce his driver's license.
Why provoke an officer who is trying to do his job?

rjd3282 04-25-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 781506)
This is an example of why I am opposed to open carry. It causes problems too often. I'm all for concealed.

It's legal, why is it causing a problem? The problem is from ignorant people and law enforcement. It's a problem because even people who believe in 2a, cower and are afraid to exercise their rights because then they have to hassle with the ignorant people. I'm sorry you think the 2nd amendment causes problems.

mountainman13 04-25-2012 01:51 PM

No I don't think the second amendment causes problems. I think open carry combined with ignorant people and Leo causes problems. You can't possibly think that this is good press for gun rights advocates. This kind of thing simply fuels the anti-gun fire.

Bear304inc 04-25-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-6
I would go to bet that Combs would have been Ok up until the time he refused to produce his driver's license.

Your probably right, even though it legaly wasn't required. According to what I gather from the report, unless info was missing. As far as open carry, sure it draws unwanted attention NOW, but if we keep exercising our right then maybe we take the mystic and fear out of a lot of people when they see it enough, and pray that the officers around the country get a lil education on the specific laws. No offense to officers at all, just see to many times their not up to speed on gun laws.

Longrange 04-25-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-6 (Post 781518)

Provoke an officer? You have no legal obligation to produce ID for LE if you are not suspect in some form of wrong doing. This guy was hassled because some panty waist liberal got a wrinkle in her skibbies and called the law. Open carry is legal in his state, he was confronted by LEO for doing something within his rights. This boils down to LEO not knowing the laws and not caring about civil rights, period. Exercise your rights or you will lose them.

mountainman13 04-25-2012 02:22 PM

Did you see his charges? Because of how he chose to exercise his rights he may lose them. Supporting the second amendment and exercising your rights is great but you have to do it intelligently.

c3shooter 04-25-2012 02:48 PM

Once again, none of us were there, and we have SOME of the information on this matter. IF the law requires that you be an adult to possess a firearm, and a person appears to be of an uncertain age, a LEO is within his rights to require the person to show that they are an adult.

mountainman13 04-25-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Once again, none of us were there, and we have SOME of the information on this matter. IF the law requires that you be an adult to possess a firearm, and a person appears to be of an uncertain age, a LEO is within his rights to require the person to show that they are an adult.

Yep as bear stated it is possible all of this could have been avoided by simply providing identification. Unlikely imo based on the level of charges but possibly.