Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Mexican Pres calls for U.S. AWB renewal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Mexican Pres calls for U.S. AWB renewal

Not gonna happen, Felipe.

Mexican President Calderon calls for assault weapon ban in U.S.

By Kathleen Hennessey
April 2, 2012

Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Monday pushed for a revival of a ban on assault weapons in the U.S., arguing that the ban’s expiration has led to the spread of guns across the border and a spike in violence in Mexico.

“The expiring of the assault weapons ban in the year 2004 coincided almost exactly with the beginning of the harshest -- the harshest -- period of violence we've ever seen,” Calderon said, through an interpreter, at a White House news conference on Monday. The Mexican leader was in Washington to meet with President Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper for a summit on economic cooperation and trade among the three countries. But the ongoing drug war in Mexico largely overshadowed those conversations.

In remarks to reporters in the Rose Garden, Calderon urged the U.S. to do more to tamp down on gun trafficking and emphasized that the drug cartels are operating on both sides of the border. He claimed a direct connection between the weakening of gun laws in the U.S. and deaths in his country.

“I know that if we don't stop the traffic of weapons into Mexico, if we don't have mechanisms to forbid the sale of weapons such as we had in the '90s, or for registry of guns, at least for assault weapons, then we are never going to be able to stop the violence in Mexico or stop a future turning of those guns upon the U.S.,” he said.

Obama, whose administration has not pushed to reinstate the ban, did not respond to the Mexican president’s statement directly. Democrats largely have called a truce when it comes to advancing new gun control legislation, a political calculation based on the party’s attempts to appeal to more rural and Western voters.

The president promised to “keep on partnering” with Mexico on security issues.

“We recognize that we have a responsibility to reduce demand for drugs, that we have a responsibility to make sure that not only guns, but also bulk cash isn't flowing into Mexico,” Obama said. “Obviously, President Calderon takes very seriously his responsibilities to apply effective law enforcement within Mexico. And I think he's taken courageous steps to do that.”

Obama added that “innocent families and women and children being gunned down in the streets, that should be everybody’s problem, not just their [Mexico’s] problem.”

But the administration’s primary message is aimed at trade. Obama announced a new effort with Canada and Mexico to remove outdated trade regulations. The three countries have committed to “sit down together, go through the books and simplify and eliminate more regulations that will make our joint economies stronger,” said Obama.

Obama said this is an extension of a White House effort to cut red tape in the U.S. that is aimed at saving businesses and customers more than $100 billion.

When medium and small businesses in the U.S. first start exporting, they usually send their products to Canada and Mexico.

“So this is going to help create jobs, and it's going to keep us on track to meet my goal of doubling U.S. exports,” said Obama.

Obama also said that U.S. exports to Canada and Mexico are growing faster than exports to the rest of the world. In 2011, trade with Canada and Mexico surpassed $1 trillion for the first time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Hey felipe stay the Hell out of my country and keep your by##@hit south of the border. Don't blame legal gun owning American citizens for the fact you refuse to ARM your citizens and can't handle the consequences for this.
Man this bs gets me going!

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2050 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 3083

Felipe Calderon can go pound sand. There are reports that Felipes in the pockets of the dope runners.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #4

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

calderon and osamaobama can suck my ass

Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Liked 4677 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Hey felipe stay the Hell out of my country and keep your by##@hit south of the border. Don't blame legal gun owning American citizens for the fact you refuse to ARM your citizens and can't handle the consequences for this.
Man this bs gets me going!
^^THIS^^

Perhaps the Cartels would not have their "influence" if law abiding Mexicans had not been disarmed decades ago.

Mexican gun contol combined with US demand for drugs have combined to create a population of Sheep lorded over by Wolves being challenged by outgunned and CORRUPT officials.

Eff Mexico, let them reap the rewards of their own incompetence.

The one thing we SHOULD do is STOP prosocuting US LEO's for doing thier job on the border.

Tack

Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If we want to do anything to help Mexico, we should:

*Help overthrough their corrupt government
*Help hunt down and dismantle their drug lords and their systems of terror
*Help overthrough the corrupt Mexican state energy company
*Send all of the illegals back and provide a few years of assistance on setting up a non-corrupt government (I know, it makes me laugh to think our crooked two party system would be an example of anything but the wrong way to do it)

Since that country actually does have some opportunity to excel (some pretty hard working people - at least most of them are) and resources to utilize, with a relatively non-corrupt government and a willing citizenry, they could make something of themselves. And then they wouldn't need, or want, to come here. I know, Alice in Wonderland is sitting with the MadHatter right about now. But what if....??????

Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #7

I don't think a war with Mexico would go any better than Afghanistan. Same problems. Some would ally with us but the drug money influence would only serve to bind Cartel firepower with Mexican Army firepower serving their mutual interest of keeping the US out.

Think we have a tough time tracking down bad guys in Afghanistan? Try tracking them through
Mexican jungles, mountains, ECT...

Bad Idea. Secure OUR border and let them kill each other.

Tack

Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe the Mexicans should wall off the U.S. border to prevent weapons from getting into their wonderful country. Maybe we could require some of their billions of dollars in foreign aid go for THAT project.

I would say "go to hell Felipe," but dude is already in mexico; i mean, could it really be that much worse.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Maybe the Mexicans should wall off the U.S. border to prevent weapons from getting into their wonderful country. Maybe we could require some of their billions of dollars in foreign aid go for THAT project.

I would say "go to hell Felipe," but dude is already in mexico; i mean, could it really be that much worse.
We could start releasing Bears on our side of the border then sling shot T Bone Steakes over the Rio Grande causing an unwanted explosion of invasive Bear population in Mexico.

I bet that would get Filippe onboard with the fence idea!

Tack

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I don't think a war with Mexico would go any better than Afghanistan. Same problems. Some would ally with us but the drug money influence would only serve to bind Cartel firepower with Mexican Army firepower serving their mutual interest of keeping the US out.

Tack
Oh don't get me wrong, it was tongue in cheek and I totally agree. But since we seem hell bent on changing the world, I'd sure rather help a neighbor that I can relate to, than a bunch of fundimental "send every American to hell since you are infidels" neanderthals dressed in cloth instead of skins, try to right their screwed up world. And I can just bet that the mid east won't be our last forey into trying to change the world. Far from it.