Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Master list of current gun laws for states?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Master list of current gun laws for states?

I am selling a couple of firearms on auction sites and I was wondering if we can float a master thread that contains UPDATED gun laws for each state, to keep us all protected from doing any illegal gun transfers. Can anyone point me to a valid source on how to copy/paste what guns are currently illegal in each state right now? And what states have other laws on certain magazines, features, etc?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5138 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 4344

BATFE sends copies of this to all FFL and Curio/Relic dealers.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8383 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

To borrow a line from Bobby McFerrin- Don't worry, be happy.

IF you are selling a gun to someone in another state, you will be shipping it to a FFL in their home state. IF the person may not possess that gun in that state, their FFL will not complete the transfer.

However, the buyer CAN be a FFL, that will resell the gun- in another state. Have a friend that is a CA 01 FFL- he buys guns that cannot be sold in CA- but he is selling them (reselling) to another state. As a dealer, he can do that.

I WOULD include wording in my auction to the effect of "It is the buyer's responsibility to determine if the laws of your state will permit you to own this firearm. If in doubt, please do not bid."

You can also look at the restrictions from other gun sellers- and follow suit.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Yessir C3 and thats exactly what I did on the auction description.

In a nutshell, I just dont wanna waste my time (and money) doing a transfer that may get rejected by the FFL. Then, I am stuck paying shipping to and from just to get my gun back. I suppose I can just reach out to their FFL once they provide the info to be sure....but I was thinking maybe a master list of current laws would help steer folks out of any hot water.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #5

Liked 623 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've seen on a lot of auction sites where the seller says no sale to CA, IL, NY, NJ, DC, etc even if it's not prohibited. I guess they don't want the hassle of all the BS laws to keep up with.