Man arrested for defending home, family
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Man arrested for defending home, family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Man arrested for defending home, family

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

Says Many Gang Members Were Coming After His Family
September 7, 2010 11:00 PM

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.
He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's just wrong. They should give him a medal for standing up to those scum.

"Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county."

Any guesses on how many are here legally?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds about right. Defend your home, go to jail.....yeah NOT! eff all this BS

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rediculous!! This guy is a hero, leave him the hell alone!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

I guess someone has to play devil's advocate. Verbal threats are just words, but the "20" people that came rushing around the corner is a bit vague. Where did they go when they came around the corner? Did they rush toward the guy or did they just go stand behind their "fearless leader" and just look manacing. IF they were charging the guy, then yeah, I agree with him because proper escalation of force was used. But if they were just standing there throwing words then it's a different story. If him just showing the weapon stopped them from advancing, then his escalation of force was effective because they stopped. This is just my $.02 worth on this, but the whole story seems a bit vague to me.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If the man was able to go into the house to get the gun then he could have locked the door and called the police. This is the same sort of hide in fear laws we have in LA. What this man did was brave but IMO foolish. Know the the laws of your state if you are going to own a firearm. I'm not agreeing with the laws here but I better live by them or move.

I would never show my gun to a gang member unless I had no choice except to shoot them. Letting BGs know you have a gun just puts a target on your house to be ripped off next time you leave. Now he has no gun, a pending felony trial, and a gang after him.

Actions like this only work out well in Clint Eastwood movies.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It does sound like he could've holed up in his house to avoid persecution er prosecution, but i don't know that i would've been able to go that way myself. I wonder what has happened before between him and the gangbangers, as it doesn't sound like this was a first meeting.

If it is wrong to use a gun to ward off an encroaching angry mob on one's own private property, i don't want to be right. I think this might be another case of "right" not being the same as "legal".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I sure am glad Kansas has the castle law that extends all the way to the property line. And, best of all, I only have to fear getting injured to defend myself. I would think I could hold up pretty well on my own, but keep adding people, the fight gets just a little unfair.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Likes Given: 7

Angry Sad Day

What a sad day!When you are in fear for your and your familys well being and or life,that because you live in a leftist part of the USA you can not defend yourself.We can only hope that this man will be no billed.The sad part is he and his family must now live in fear not knowing when those magots will return to his home.I thank GOD every day that I was born and live in the great state of TEXAS!!New York what a sespool there leftist laws are so unamerican.

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

He should have plugged one of them just to set an example, and then just sprinkled some crack on him.