Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Makin' a list, checkin' it twice... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/makin-list-checkin-twice-53836/)

therewolf 12-19-2011 08:52 PM

Makin' a list, checkin' it twice...

Is it too early to start making a "naughty" and "nice" list of

anti and pro politicians for the upcoming election?:)

texaswoodworker 12-19-2011 09:52 PM

Here is a list I made. It is in order from most pro gun, to most anti gun.

Ron Paul--------------big time pro gun
Michelle Bachmann---pro gun
Rick Perry-------------pro gun
Newt Gingrich---------neutral
Mitt Romney-----------somewhat anti gun
Barack Obama---------big time anti gun

BigByrd47119 12-19-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 655648)
Is it too early to start making a "naughty" and "nice" list of

anti and pro politicians for the upcoming election?:)

Its never too early!

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 655689)
Here is a list I made. It is in order from most pro gun, to most anti gun.

Ron Paul--------------big time pro gun
Michelle Bachmann---pro gun
Rick Perry-------------pro gun
Newt Gingrich---------neutral
Mitt Romney-----------somewhat anti gun
Barack Obama---------big time anti gun

My biggest worry is that the Dem's will not offer Obama their support in reelection and instead will propose Hillary Clinton for the Democrat nomination. Now that is scary.

JTJ 12-19-2011 11:26 PM

What about Santorum?

texaswoodworker 12-20-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 655760)
What about Santorum?

I think he would be between Perry and Gingrich.

NC1760 12-21-2011 08:48 PM

Speaking for myself, THIS list is my yardstick for support in the next election... And I'm posting the link in case anyone else needs it to help make up their mind as well;
GovTrack: House Vote On Passage: H.R. 822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

texaswoodworker 12-21-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1760 (Post 657097)
Speaking for myself, THIS list is my yardstick for support in the next election... And I'm posting the link in case anyone else needs it to help make up their mind as well;
GovTrack: House Vote On Passage: H.R. 822: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

WTF? Ron Paul didn't vote on it. Thats odd. He usually votes for 2A rights. I wonder why he didn't vote on it.

alsaqr 12-21-2011 10:27 PM

As house majority leader Gingrich flip-flopped on us. Gingrich voted for the "gun free safe school zones" act and claimed the Lautenberg amendment was a good law.

Newt Gingrich on Guns: A Mixed Record - Gun Owners Of America

Quote:

His promise didn’t hold up, however, and his GOA rating quickly dropped like a lead sinker to a “D.” In 1996, the Republican-led Congress passed the “gun free school zones act,” creating criminal safe zones like Virginia Tech, where the only person armed was a murderous criminal. Speaker Newt Gingrich voted for the bill containing this ban.1

The same bill also contained the now infamous Lautenberg gun ban, which lowered the threshold for losing one’s Second Amendment rights to a mere misdemeanor.2 Gun owners could, as a result of this ban, lose their gun rights forever for non-violent shouting matches that occurred in the home -- and, in many cases, lose their rights without a jury trial.

While a legislator might sometimes vote for a spending bill which contains objectionable amendments, that was clearly NOT the case with Newt Gingrich in 1996. Speaking on Meet the Press in September of that year, Speaker Gingrich said the Lautenberg gun ban was “a very reasonable position.”3 He even refused to cosponsor a repeal of the gun ban during the next Congress -- despite repeated requests to do so.4

Also in 1996, Speaker Gingrich cast his vote for an anti-gun terror bill which contained several harmful provisions. For example, one of the versions he supported (in March of that year) contained a DeLauro amendment that would have severely punished gun owners for possessing a laser sighting device while committing an infraction as minor as speeding on a federal reservation.5 (Not only would this provision have stigmatized laser sights, it would have served as a first step to banning these items.) Another extremely harmful provision was the Schumer amendment to “centralize Federal, State and Local police.”6