Major Crime Statistics Continues To Drop!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Major Crime Statistics Continues To Drop!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3102 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Default Major Crime Statistics Continues To Drop!

More Proof! That as more people have the ability to defend themselves crime drops.

FBI RELEASES LATEST STATISTICS . . . The FBI's release of preliminary Uniform Crime Statistics for the first half of 2013 demonstrates the continuing 30-year downward trend in violent crime is not over, even as firearms production and sales set records. In fact, the crime reductions correspond with a steady increase in the legal demand for firearms as law-abiding American people have sought to exercise their Second Amendment rights and enjoy recreational shooting. The latest from the FBI.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3466 Times on 2381 Posts
Likes Given: 1694

That makes Indianapolis look bad. No reduction in the murder rate since 2000, and a definite spike last year compared to 5-6 years prior, and (read slowly) topping Chicago for the first time. Granted not all violent crime is murder, we are still "top" tier in robbery and assault. Gun friendly state. Something else must be going wrong here.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

Liked 356 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
That makes Indianapolis look bad. No reduction in the murder rate since 2000, and a definite spike last year compared to 5-6 years prior, and (read slowly) topping Chicago for the first time. Granted not all violent crime is murder, we are still "top" tier in robbery and assault. Gun friendly state. Something else must be going wrong here.
What's the unemployment rate there? What's the level of poverty?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mercator,

That is not good! What do you think might be the reason in Indy? It is not known throughout the country as being a dangerous city. I guess my first question is who are the victims? In the Ghetto, not that Indy has many! Gang Bangers or Drug related ? MRM may have something there also! 03

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Strange. Does the city not issue CCW permits? Police chief unfriendly to carry? If crime is going up, the citizenry should be protecting themselves in various ways, including purchasing firearms and obtaining carry permits.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Mercator,

That is not good! What do you think might be the reason in Indy? It is not known throughout the country as being a dangerous city. I guess my first question is who are the victims? In the Ghetto, not that Indy has many! Gang Bangers or Drug related ? MRM may have something there also! 03
No such reputation, yet. Mostly it's neighborhood crime, outside the commercial center. Downtown Indy is compact and I think safe (no numbers). That's what most people saw who came to the Super Bowl. Sniper03 - yes, and yes. Mrm14 - about average, but concentrated in certain areas. TekGreg - CCW not a problem, but I don't know the demographic breakdown. I don't live in Indy but like it a lot and visit often. Did not mean to hijack the thread!

Last edited by Mercator; 03-03-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2723 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 2780

Mercator, I don't think you hijacked the thread. The nationwide statistics show the general trend which is very strongly towards reduced violent crime in areas where CCW is "shall issue". If Indianapolis is running counter to that trend to that extent, somebody needs to see what's going wrong there.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Mercator Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well here it is. Bad policing. Drugs play a huge role, but the IPD is understaffed. How and why, still beats me, esp given that the city is doing well in other areas. But that's the Hoosier word on the street. Just last month Indy had 8 murders in 1 night. The IPD morale may suck too, I am not sure. One case has been notorious where a drunk cop with a history of DUI hit and killed a motorcyclist.

Edit. Don't let this deter you from attending the NRA Convention in a few weeks! Word is, unlike other venues, Indy allows open carry on the floor!

Last edited by Mercator; 03-08-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mercator,

What is not revealed is the rate is fairly restricted to specific areas in Indianapolis. Indy and the area around it is mostly a very safe place. If you gave me a choice I would much rather walk in the Indy area than Chicago for sure! In fact two of Indys suburbs were just rated last week as the number one and number two safest communities in the USA. They were Carmel #1 and Fishers IN. #2. You can not tell when you leave Indy proper and enter these communities.
Why I say that is I was LE in the area for over 20 years. And was on SWAT for 16.5 years.
So I will pick Indy anytime. And some of the stats from Chicago are washed under the political rug no doubt for obvious reasons. Can one say Rahm Emanuel & Company! Or should we say more! Too much publicity of late!

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 03-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh, no question. I would need to be heavily bribed to move to Chicago (and not only because of crime). Indy is a patchwork. Carmel is awesome. Downtown is great. On the other hand, just north of downtown and Northwest are two of the worst neighborhoods in the nation. That area where Meridian meets 38th, (as you probably know) they tried to clean it up, opened a Starbucks and such. Few years later - gone. Same as it was in the 90's.

P.S. The crime stats do differ depending on the source. The FBI stats are based on "voluntary submissions" and show crime down 11 per cent. The BJS stats based on interviews show crime up 14 per cent. I listened to an update just the other day.

Last edited by Mercator; 03-13-2014 at 12:35 PM.