Losing my Firearm Rights! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Losing my Firearm Rights!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by watzsee View Post
I have a simple assault charge on my record from 2002. What sucks the most about this is that when I got the call from police I was so excited because I thought my handgun permit was in. I never imagined that I'd be losing everything. If I could get a firearm ID in a different state I'd consider moving this to me is just not right. I felt grateful for the right to bear arms and appreciated the responsibility that came with this right. Now I feel like a piece of **** and wish I had a time machine just to change me getting arrested in 2002. Thank you everyone for your advice and support I will let you know the outcome.
I would consider moving to another state .As long as the assualt charge isnt considered a felony or a domestic violence charge it shouldnt be a problem

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #22
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2052 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

First thing before you move is to pick a "shall issue" state. Second, find out if the assault charge is a felony. Most states deny permits to felons. (If you can't get a weapon legally anywhere, there's not much point in spending the money to move.)

Then read the actual gun permitting laws for your new state before you decide. Make sure you qualify first. Once burned, twice learned.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if i am correct, it will depend on whether the assault charge was a misdemeanor or a felony. and just because you didn't spend time in jail for it doesn't mean it's might not be a felony. and just because you have a felony charge on your record, all is not lost. you could always get an attorney and get your record expunged, but it might not be cheap and there are no garauntees that it will get expunged. get in touch with an attorney and find out what you can do about it.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Maybe you guys quit telling this guy to disobey local law enforcement?

And don't have a criminal past then be surprised your rights are taken away.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #25

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lost my gun rights for three years for violating a emergency restraining order during my divorce. I won't get into the details but I had to hire a lawyer and under pc code 1385 which is a total dismisal I got my gun rights back. I was younger back then and thought I knew everything. Now I know better and I know to keep my mouth shut and call a lawyer. All it takes is one bad decision to lose your gun rights it doesn't even have to be a felony or spousal abuse.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

in no way is it wise for him to disobey local LE on this issue as it could lead to bigger problems.

and if it's on his record in one state, moving to another will not make it disappear when the run a background check. when they run a background check, it's at the federal level not just state level. it searches for any criminal activity in any state you had a record in.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2052 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed

I don't think anyone is telling him to disobey the law. But sometimes the local LEO does not apply the law correctly. He was told by one that he was ok after talking about his record. Then he gets a call from another telling him there's a problem.

If there's any gray area in his record, a "may issue" state can decide to say no. Maybe a "shall issue" state would see it differently.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #28

In no way has anyone told me to disobey the law, I appreciate all giving advice and I'm trying to work this out the legal and correct way even thou money is always an issue I'm thinking of hiring an lawyer "So Lawyers Are Wanted Please List" because this needs to be done right the first time. Even thou a disagree with this I respect and will obey New Jersey's Laws.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #29

Simple Assault is a Disorderly Persons Offense in NJ which is NOT CONSIDERED A FELONY in other states..

Unless the Assault was tied to a Domestic Violence case, Fight it.. Get your record EXPUNGED anyhow..

I an a Former NJ Resident and Retired NJ Municipal Cop, but I moved just because of the Firearms laws as NJ is just rediculous.. What will garner 10 years in Prison in NJ is legal Beagle in PA..