Losing my Firearm Rights!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Losing my Firearm Rights!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Losing my Firearm Rights!

I'll start by saying that I'm from Mt. Olive, New Jersey and I've been waiting to hear about about my handgun permit for about 2 months now. Today I received a phone call from the police saying there's problem with my application and I need to hand my firearms ID card in along with 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo. They said I should have never had received an ID in the first place that there was missing criminal information on the original application which there was but had been talked about later on by the officer in charge of the firearms division. So before I even got my firearm the officer had called me about this issue and it was resolved. About I week after talking about the missing criminal information I had received my firearm ID card thinking everything was fine. Now months later I have to hand over my firearm ID card and ammo plus I also have to have a FFL dealer return my handgun that was waiting for me to get my permit. On the handgun application I had put down the criminal information that was left out on the original application. Tomorrow I have to meet with the officer to hand in those items mentions above and he mentioned walking me through the appeal process.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. That sucks. If it makes you feel any better I know a guy that got his fid and bought a g22 and then was denied by the feds and told he isn't allowed to have firearms. So on the state level he is good to go but on the federal level he is a no go. Basically the opposite of your issue from what I understand.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Last edited by mountainman13; 07-23-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well, welcome to FTF, and good luck on the appeal.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

hmm i would just sell my ammo before turning it over for nothing.. but thats jut me.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Welcome to FTF.
That does suck.
Move to a freeer state or consult with an attorney familiar with these laws. Maybe another NJ member could recommend an attorney.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Wow those are some tough gun laws glad I live in Texas good luck to you though man

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1976 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 2151

Welcome to FTF, thought I wish it was under better circumstances for you . You said you discussed the criminal record issues with someone. "there was missing criminal information on the original application which there was but had been talked about later on by the officer in charge of the firearms division." You should see if you can get in touch with that officer. He may be able to help you explain the situation in terms that the police who have the problem will understand. Often when ordinary civilians try to communicate with the cops there is a misunderstanding due to different terminology.

The first officer seems to have evaluated your situation and decided that it really isn't a violation that should prevent your licensing. Perhaps he checked closer and found only a misdemeanor on your record whereas one of the immediate restrictions would be a felony conviction.

But, also consider that NJ is one of the most difficult states to get a concealed carry permit in. NJ does not recognize any other states license. NJ is "may issue", which means it's all up to the discretion of the judge who evaluates your application.

Good luck!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #8

Liked 1860 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 1232

I would be thinking about moving. I would never live in a state where I had to get permision from law enfocement before I exercised my constitutional rights. Do you have to get permision to speak too? I feel anything beyond the instant background check is way beyond acceptable. I have never waited more than a couple hours to purchase a gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Scratchammo Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Gather all your chit and move out of NJ. There is life out there.....

Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Documentation....

They should give you a receipt (include serial numbers, total number of rounds).

Once this is over, get copies of everything!!!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)