Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Losing my Firearm Rights! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/losing-my-firearm-rights-68802/)

watzsee 07-23-2012 10:04 PM

Losing my Firearm Rights!

I'll start by saying that I'm from Mt. Olive, New Jersey and I've been waiting to hear about about my handgun permit for about 2 months now. Today I received a phone call from the police saying there's problem with my application and I need to hand my firearms ID card in along with 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo. They said I should have never had received an ID in the first place that there was missing criminal information on the original application which there was but had been talked about later on by the officer in charge of the firearms division. So before I even got my firearm the officer had called me about this issue and it was resolved. About I week after talking about the missing criminal information I had received my firearm ID card thinking everything was fine. Now months later I have to hand over my firearm ID card and ammo plus I also have to have a FFL dealer return my handgun that was waiting for me to get my permit. On the handgun application I had put down the criminal information that was left out on the original application. Tomorrow I have to meet with the officer to hand in those items mentions above and he mentioned walking me through the appeal process.

mountainman13 07-23-2012 10:06 PM

Welcome to FTF. That sucks. If it makes you feel any better I know a guy that got his fid and bought a g22 and then was denied by the feds and told he isn't allowed to have firearms. So on the state level he is good to go but on the federal level he is a no go. Basically the opposite of your issue from what I understand.

trip286 07-23-2012 10:12 PM

Well, welcome to FTF, and good luck on the appeal.

jjfuller1 07-23-2012 10:20 PM

hmm i would just sell my ammo before turning it over for nothing.. but thats jut me.

orangello 07-23-2012 10:53 PM

Welcome to FTF.
That does suck.
Move to a freeer state or consult with an attorney familiar with these laws. Maybe another NJ member could recommend an attorney.

gearhead396 07-23-2012 11:16 PM

Wow those are some tough gun laws glad I live in Texas :) good luck to you though man

Balota 07-23-2012 11:45 PM

Welcome to FTF, thought I wish it was under better circumstances for you :(. You said you discussed the criminal record issues with someone. "there was missing criminal information on the original application which there was but had been talked about later on by the officer in charge of the firearms division." You should see if you can get in touch with that officer. He may be able to help you explain the situation in terms that the police who have the problem will understand. Often when ordinary civilians try to communicate with the cops there is a misunderstanding due to different terminology.

The first officer seems to have evaluated your situation and decided that it really isn't a violation that should prevent your licensing. Perhaps he checked closer and found only a misdemeanor on your record whereas one of the immediate restrictions would be a felony conviction.

But, also consider that NJ is one of the most difficult states to get a concealed carry permit in. NJ does not recognize any other states license. NJ is "may issue", which means it's all up to the discretion of the judge who evaluates your application.

Good luck!

Rick1967 07-24-2012 12:09 AM

I would be thinking about moving. I would never live in a state where I had to get permision from law enfocement before I exercised my constitutional rights. Do you have to get permision to speak too? I feel anything beyond the instant background check is way beyond acceptable. I have never waited more than a couple hours to purchase a gun.

TimKS 07-24-2012 12:50 AM

Gather all your chit and move out of NJ. There is life out there..... :eek:

danf_fl 07-24-2012 12:55 AM

Documentation....

They should give you a receipt (include serial numbers, total number of rounds).

Once this is over, get copies of everything!!!