Lose your job, buy a gun, get arrested.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Lose your job, buy a gun, get arrested....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Who the hell gets laid off on Thursday and then spends, in my estimation, over $2000 in weapons purchases??

Does the Oregon DOT pay THAT well??

Old 03-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #12

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

If his former employer reported him to the state because they were concerned, I don't see this as a problem. The problem would be if the state took it upon themselves to decide that someone who was laid off and then bought a gun was a danger. I understand it was a state agency that reported him but it does not sound like they were acting in a malicious manner, they let someone go and reported them without knowledge of the gun purchases. The police added 1 and 1 and decided to question him. Without more facts I can't say I disagree with what they did.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit2786 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
they read off your info and drivers liscence number and the staters have you in the books. haven't bought 2 in a row yet so not sure what all happens.
So that phone call is how you complete your registration. What if you miss the calls?
There is no registration of firearms in Oregon. The call is to the State Police who run a criminal background check and log the sale.

An ODOT employee could earn 20K to $60k or more depending on the job.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 AM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
In a way a guy could cry this is a violation of the mans civil rights. 1. Hes done nothing wrong

and yet big brother is infringing on his rights. Yes maybee he could have gone craphouse mouse but from 2. what ive read here there really was no need to get involved. Hell follow him around a bit more b4 jumpin him.

1. Your making assumptions here, the article says he was placed on “Administrative Leave”. Now from my experience in working for the Federal Government that means a disciplinary or investigation for misconduct or illegal actions where they are not sure they can or will fire you until the investigation is concluded. So your comment that “he did nothing wrong” may or may not be correct. Yes, he did not do anything wrong buying the guns, but the totality of the circumstances around why he bought three guns at this time is what raised questions. Also the DOT had reported he was a “disgruntled employee” and could be a danger to the other employees at the DOT.

2. Did you read the same article you posted that I did? On administrative leave, disgruntled employee, other DOT employees afraid (don’t know who reported the fear but someone did), report initiated the LEO’s watching, that’s probable how they found out he bought the guns (don’t know how else). Well to me that’s a lot of doing something to raise my suspicions.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
here in Oregon when you buy more than one gun in a two week period a special form is filled out with the dealer and im sure red flags fly with the state police. After all they call and check on you with each purchase here.
I'm glad Nevada doesn't pull that. Although here in Clark County we have the only handgun registration card in the entire state. We call it the Nazi Blue Card (NBC) and Sheriff Gillespie says he'll fight to keep the card because it can be used to trace weapons and solve homicides. Metro has solved one homicide in several years using the NBC. One Whole Homicide. It's all basically a "make work" department and might be tossed out by the legislature when they meet in 2011. Then again, with the stupidity our legislature has exhibited over the last few years, that might be a pipe dream.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 AM   #16

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
here in Oregon when you buy more than one gun in a two week period a special form is filled out with the dealer and im sure red flags fly with the state police. After all they call and check on you with each purchase here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
I'm glad Nevada doesn't pull that.
Actually, Federal Regulations [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a] require dealers in any state to report multiple handgun sales.

Quote:
(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one
handgun to an individual?

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any nonlicensee during
a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported
on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols
and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which
you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward
a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another
copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement
agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be
attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting
the sale or disposition of the second handgun.

A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or
revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the
license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of
the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business
day” as used in the NICS context.

Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays,
days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol
to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person
acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday
or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered,
the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported
on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent
handgun was sold.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
1. Your making assumptions here, the article says he was placed on “Administrative Leave”. Now from my experience in working for the Federal Government that means a disciplinary or investigation for misconduct or illegal actions where they are not sure they can or will fire you until the investigation is concluded. So your comment that “he did nothing wrong” may or may not be correct. Yes, he did not do anything wrong buying the guns, but the totality of the circumstances around why he bought three guns at this time is what raised questions. Also the DOT had reported he was a “disgruntled employee” and could be a danger to the other employees at the DOT.

2. Did you read the same article you posted that I did? On administrative leave, disgruntled employee, other DOT employees afraid (don’t know who reported the fear but someone did), report initiated the LEO’s watching, that’s probable how they found out he bought the guns (don’t know how else). Well to me that’s a lot of doing something to raise my suspicions.
here in oregon they can put you on administrative leave for farting sideways and pissing off a co-worker with the stink. I had a buddy put on admin leave for saying a students mom was pretty.
also what would you do if someone said they were afraid of you and the law found out you had a stash of guns and took you in. It takes one person to say they feel afraid to bring the hammer down. We cant get a grip on the illegals in this country but they jump on this.
Not saying he did nothing wrong, sounds a little funny but this is an example of going overboard. There are better ways to go about this then what they decided to do.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #18

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

hell people find me to be extremely intimidating, glad i dont get hauled off to jail every time i piss someone off and then buy a gun. Thats all im saying.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What'd he buy, and did he get a good deal? Did he have buyers lined up? Gun trading can be an excellent income supplement plan (as most of us here well know).

Old 03-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Who the hell gets laid off on Thursday and then spends, in my estimation, over $2000 in weapons purchases??

Does the Oregon DOT pay THAT well??
It is income tax season, lots of large purchases this time of year.
just sayin', possibility
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down