Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Loopholes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loopholes?

As many enthusiasts know, there are loopholes constantly used. I have a question concerning one. My state has a limit on the capacity of a magazine. But would an internal magazine have these same restrictions? Say, a Henry Repeater (internal) compared to an AR-15?

Hope everyone had a fantastic 4th of July!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I'm pretty sure it's the same whether internal or detachable. What state are you in?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Depends on the state. In New York, if you're talking about a platform that existed prior to the AWB, you can get a post-ban rifle with pre-ban mags and you're OK. A rifle that has a mag tube or clip might be a different story...check local laws.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2691 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywayne View Post
As many enthusiasts know, there are loopholes constantly used. I have a question concerning one. My state has a limit on the capacity of a magazine. But would an internal magazine have these same restrictions? Say, a Henry Repeater (internal) compared to an AR-15?

Your first mistake is assuming that these restrictions make sense. If logic was a player, you wouldn't need to deal with any of this crap.
Check with your local retailers. They navigate these laws everyday. Also check your state's DOJ website, they will likely have all the laws you want, in electronic form for your viewing pleasure. Your state firearms organizations are also a good source of info.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Your first mistake is assuming that these restrictions make sense. If logic was a player, you wouldn't need to deal with any of this crap.
Check with your local retailers. They navigate these laws everyday. Also check your state's DOJ website, they will likely have all the laws you want, in electronic form for your viewing pleasure. Your state firearms organizations are also a good source of info.
I agree with Overkill. It really depends on which State you are in. My State
of Georgia has no restrictions on mag. capacity or caliber. We can even
use deadly, evil hollow points!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywayne

You in cali? Tube feds are exempt if so.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8611 Times on 3732 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

as said- those limits are STATE SPECIFIC. So we need to know WHICH STATE are you in- and then go to the law for THAT state.

For example- is the rifle a semi- or a lever action? Is it rimfire- or centerfire? Does removing mag require tools- or do you push a button and it drops out?

Calling that a loophole is not really correct- it IS knowing what the law requires. For intance- does your state require that ALL motor vehicles operated on a highway have windshield wipers? Betcha it does not.

Otherwise all those motorcycles without wipers (or windshields) would be illegal. That's not a loophole- its knowing what the law requires.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
as said- those limits are STATE SPECIFIC. So we need to know WHICH STATE are you in- and then go to the law for THAT state.

For example- is the rifle a semi- or a lever action? Is it rimfire- or centerfire? Does removing mag require tools- or do you push a button and it drops out?

Calling that a loophole is not really correct- it IS knowing what the law requires. For intance- does your state require that ALL motor vehicles operated on a highway have windshield wipers? Betcha it does not.

Otherwise all those motorcycles without wipers (or windshields) would be illegal. That's not a loophole- its knowing what the law requires.
Well, I live in Illinois. My county has a ten-round limit on magazines. The gun is a Henry Repeater with a capacity of 15+1. It is a tube fed, rimfire, .22. The reason I asked, is because I cannot find anything on the Illinois firearm website. It specifically says an extractable magazine. And I apologize for my incorrect title, you are correct, it is knowing the law, not loopholes.

Newest Threads