Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Loopholes? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/loopholes-67679/)

johnnywayne 07-05-2012 06:56 PM

Loopholes?

As many enthusiasts know, there are loopholes constantly used. I have a question concerning one. My state has a limit on the capacity of a magazine. But would an internal magazine have these same restrictions? Say, a Henry Repeater (internal) compared to an AR-15?

Hope everyone had a fantastic 4th of July!

silverado113 07-05-2012 06:59 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the same whether internal or detachable. What state are you in?

bkt 07-05-2012 07:01 PM

Depends on the state. In New York, if you're talking about a platform that existed prior to the AWB, you can get a post-ban rifle with pre-ban mags and you're OK. A rifle that has a mag tube or clip might be a different story...check local laws.

Overkill0084 07-05-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnywayne (Post 860094)
As many enthusiasts know, there are loopholes constantly used. I have a question concerning one. My state has a limit on the capacity of a magazine. But would an internal magazine have these same restrictions? Say, a Henry Repeater (internal) compared to an AR-15?

Your first mistake is assuming that these restrictions make sense. If logic was a player, you wouldn't need to deal with any of this crap.
Check with your local retailers. They navigate these laws everyday. Also check your state's DOJ website, they will likely have all the laws you want, in electronic form for your viewing pleasure. Your state firearms organizations are also a good source of info.

etbob9 07-05-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 860115)
Your first mistake is assuming that these restrictions make sense. If logic was a player, you wouldn't need to deal with any of this crap.
Check with your local retailers. They navigate these laws everyday. Also check your state's DOJ website, they will likely have all the laws you want, in electronic form for your viewing pleasure. Your state firearms organizations are also a good source of info.

I agree with Overkill. It really depends on which State you are in. My State
of Georgia has no restrictions on mag. capacity or caliber. We can even
use deadly, evil hollow points! :eek:

pagj17 07-05-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnywayne

You in cali? Tube feds are exempt if so.

c3shooter 07-05-2012 09:36 PM

as said- those limits are STATE SPECIFIC. So we need to know WHICH STATE are you in- and then go to the law for THAT state.

For example- is the rifle a semi- or a lever action? Is it rimfire- or centerfire? Does removing mag require tools- or do you push a button and it drops out?

Calling that a loophole is not really correct- it IS knowing what the law requires. For intance- does your state require that ALL motor vehicles operated on a highway have windshield wipers? Betcha it does not.

Otherwise all those motorcycles without wipers (or windshields) would be illegal. That's not a loophole- its knowing what the law requires.

johnnywayne 07-05-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
as said- those limits are STATE SPECIFIC. So we need to know WHICH STATE are you in- and then go to the law for THAT state.

For example- is the rifle a semi- or a lever action? Is it rimfire- or centerfire? Does removing mag require tools- or do you push a button and it drops out?

Calling that a loophole is not really correct- it IS knowing what the law requires. For intance- does your state require that ALL motor vehicles operated on a highway have windshield wipers? Betcha it does not.

Otherwise all those motorcycles without wipers (or windshields) would be illegal. That's not a loophole- its knowing what the law requires.

Well, I live in Illinois. My county has a ten-round limit on magazines. The gun is a Henry Repeater with a capacity of 15+1. It is a tube fed, rimfire, .22. The reason I asked, is because I cannot find anything on the Illinois firearm website. It specifically says an extractable magazine. And I apologize for my incorrect title, you are correct, it is knowing the law, not loopholes.