Looking for some perspective on this CCW/CWL/CWP/etc. philosophy..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Looking for some perspective on this CCW/CWL/CWP/etc. philosophy..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for some perspective on this CCW/CWL/CWP/etc. philosophy..

I'm a member of another forum on which a discussion regarding concealed carry began. At one point, a member said the following in response to why he doesn't carry with a round chambered:

Quote:
I'm not interested in killing someone about to rob me or even kill me. I carry to prevent things such as mall shootings or other violent crimes in my vicinity. I carry to be a first responder, not for personal protection. In a first responder type situation it's most likely I will have time to rack the slide and identify the target. Again, the second or two it takes does matter, but I make the decision to completely negate any risk of misfire and take on the risk of needing that extra second.
I don't want to say anything of my opinion, but I'd like to hear the opinions out there from you guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

This person is a wannabe LEO - not the reason at all to carry and incredibly stupid IMHO. I expect this person also bought a CCW "badge" to legitimize their "official" status. Having a permit to carry a gun is for one thing and one thing only - to protect you and yours - not to fight crime.

If you have a desire to fight crime - become an LEO. This type of person is potentially more dangerous than a criminal as they will try to insert themselves in a situation without the training and experience necessary to be of any use at all...

Last edited by NGIB; 06-04-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Carrying a weapon not chambered is carrying an unloaded weapon. An unloaded weapon is no more than an expensive club. These are the type that will all too many timeswill have their weapon used against them or just escalate a situation where they are killed because now someone has a gun on the gunman. If you are not prepared to use your weapon then you have no business with one on your person. Many times these are the people with the newest wizbanger they read about on some gun rag. They actually believe from all the movies they have watched that you have time to chamber a round and pull the hammer back in some dramatic manner to make the would be killer drop his weapon and they get to kiss the pretty girl.

Ask those that have had to use a weapon against another person just how fast everything happens. That dramatic stuff is great for Hollywierd but in the real world that will get you or God forbid some other innocent person killed.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I just really needed to feel grounded. I had responded with essentially what NGIB illustrated to which he responded:

Quote:
I'm not a wanna-be LEO, I'm a citizen who has the lawful right to stop certain crimes. If I choose not to stop them against me, that's my decision.

I'm really not following your logic: I'm irresponsible with firearms because I want to prevent mall shootings?

LOOK I CAN USE CAPS TOO. IF A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE IS FOR SELF-DEFENSE THAN THE LAW SHOULD SAY THIS.

Question: if someone starting shooting people near you and you had your carry weapon, would you draw your weapon and fire at them? OMGHOLY****YOUWOULD? WANNABELEOWTFBBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You crack me up.
It's just incredibly frustrating reading someone with this kind of idea in his head and I wanted to hear those of you with some experience disagree with him so I can sleep tonight, knowing that most of the people who carry aren't this crazy.

Last edited by Krahis; 06-04-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I thnk NGIB put it best. I recent took my CCH test and plan on finishing the paper work next week. I thought long and hard about it and it boiled down to this. I want everything in my power to protect my wife and two little girls God forbid something happened. Carrying a weapon is great responsibiltiy and cannot be taken lightly.

The guy you described sounds scary and could get someone hurt

Chuck D

Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

What NGIB said.

I carry for personal protect and the protection of family first. Having a CCWP does not grant me a right to enforce laws. But it does allow me to use said weapon in defense of life and property. That defense of life can include potential threats anywhere, and anyone.

This persons reasoning is dangerous to the safety and security of every gun owner in America.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

A good friend was a LEO, now medically retired. One day on foot patrol, at about 3 in the afternoon, he was responding to a "trouble unknown". As he turned the corner, he was hit with a metal pole wielded by what we agreed had to be a crazy man. First hit broke his left collarbone. BTW, if you have never had a broken collarbone, the arm on that side is now useless. Goblin was still whaling away with the pole, so he center punched him twice at powder burn distance. Sitting with him in the ER, while he was still in shock, he looked at me and said "I figured I'd better shoot him while I could still draw."

Now, anybody want to try to draw and chamber and fire under those circumstances? Be sure to let me know how that works for you.

Things happen MUCH faster than you think. And as the man said, this ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

As always, C3 is right on the mark. The main problem with trying to be a crime fighter is figuring out when a crime is happening. Here's an example:

You walk out of Burger King after lunch and there is a scruffy looking guy grabbing a well dressed woman. Is the woman being attacked? Do you draw your gun to protect her and stop the apparent assault?

While it could be a scruffy looking bad guy assaulting a woman, it could also be a plain clothes LEO trying to arrest a well dressed female criminal. Just food for thought...

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #9

This person has a skewed view of the purpose behind CCW.
If he ever does what he says he carries for, he stands a good chance of finding himself in jail.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cannot, and will not, speak regarding other places. However in Indiana if I, as an individual licensed by the State, shoot someone it has to be because I was in fear of death or serious bodily injury to myself or another. Any other reason, including stopping a crime, is going to land me in jail.