look like oboma found a new way to go after the gun indenstery OSHA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > look like oboma found a new way to go after the gun indenstery OSHA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default look like oboma found a new way to go after the gun indenstery OSHA

this looks like it may become a sceary trend when congress fails send in the OASH and EPA inspecters
see artical below

A Bayonne NJ business still recovering from damages inflicted by superstorm Sandy has been cited with four repeat and four serious safety and health violations, the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration announced today.

Among the violations at Henry Repeating Arms, one of the country's leading rifle manufacturers, was workers exposed to lead hazards, OSHA officials said in announcing $72,000 in penalties. OSHA said an inspection was performed in September.

The repeat violations, which carry a $46,800 penalty, include failing to develop and implement a written respiratory protection program for lead exposure; failing to evaluate, conduct tests and provide training for "half mask negative pressure respirators," which protect against lead; and failing to ensure surfaces were maintained as free as practicable from lead accumulation.

OSHA considers these "repeat" violations because it says Henry Repeating Arms, on East 1st Street, was cited for the same or similar violations in 2008.

Among the "serious" violations, with a $25,200 penalty, OSHA says Henry failed to implement a hearing conservation program and training program and provide annual audiograms for workers exposed to noise above 85 and 90 decibels and failed to make medical surveillance available upon a worker’s notification of signs and symptoms of lead intoxication.

OSHA officials said a serious citation is issued when there is "substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard" that the employer knew or should have known about.

“Exposure to lead and noise in the firearms manufacturing industry has been well-known for decades” said Kris Hoffman, director of OSHA’s area office in Parsippany. “OSHA’s standards must be followed to protect workers from exposure that can lead to lead-related illness and occupational hearing loss.”

An official at Henry Repeating Arms referred calls to president and owner Anthony Imperatore, who was not immediately available for comment.

Henry Repeating Arms has three weeks from receipt of the citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director or contest the citations and proposed penalties before an independent panel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

Thats not good news for Henry, but I really dont think Obummer was involved. OSHA is around to protect workers like you and I in most of the industries and businesses from things that some companies try to ignore. If Grant it they go overboard on a lot of crap IMO, but if Henry is putting their workers in a hazardous situation like the report read, then they deserve the fines they have received! Sucks thats its a well know firearms manufacturer, but they are no better that anyone else when it comes to protecting their workers! They need to take care of the problems!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just wonder if other firearm manufacturers have been subjected to these same type of inspections and how they turned out.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8943 Times on 3871 Posts
Likes Given: 1399

For those wondering about inspections- since I have to deal with OSHA (and MSHA, EPA, Corps of Engineers, etc)

That is a relatively small fine for a repeat violation. Deliberate, willfull or repeat can be $70,000 PER VIOLATION. As far as who has been inspected in the past, go to the OSHA website, statistics and data, establishment search- put in company name (their LEGAL name, not trade name). You can search inspections back thru 1972- will tell you where, when, results of inspection, violations and fines levied. Public information.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #5

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ive been in coustruction for 20 years osha when they first came out may have been about saftey but today it has only to do with generating revenue for the goverment. it had\s literly become imposibal for me to do my job with out breaking some osha rule and i have been told by inspecters that they mush find something wrong whial doing an inspection

Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7210 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 14703

I work on or around lead from time to time. OSHA requires my employer to provide a respirator "at the employee's request." I wonder what the difference is. Exposure time?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄