Living in Detroit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Living in Detroit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Living in Detroit

I stay with my grandparents who live in Detroit. On the street they live, sometimes they drag race up and down the street. Well a few months ago someone lost control of the car and hit the garage which knocked it off the foundation. Long story short, the garage finally got rebuilt on Friday. Saturday night, someone broke into the garage. Its not the first time someone stole from their property. My grandad used to work on cars, he can do everything from painting a car to rebuilding an engine, so he had a lot of expensive equipment in his shed. Someone broke in and stole that equipment along with the lawnmower, electric edger, and weedwhacker. Someone also tried to steal his 2010 DTS cadillac from in front of the house about a month ago, but the glass wouldn't shatter for them to get in the car.

Everyone around the neighborhood knows my grandpa is a reverend. He pastors a church in Detroit. There used to be a time where people respected clergy and wouldn't dare steal from a pastor just because he was a pastor.

Now my grandparents don't own any firearms, because they believe God will protect them, and anything that happens is the will of God. However, I dont have as much faith. I keep a 9mm pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun should anyone decide to try and break in or attack my grandparents. They're senior citizens, my grandad is 75 and my granny is 73 and im worried one of those young guys around there may get the nerve to try and break in the house or attack my grandparents.

Its not like im helpless without a gun, I used to box and can bench press almost 400 pounds. But theres nothing like a pistol grip Mossberg 500.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tell your Grandfather that God would not have empowered man with freedom if he didn't intend him to defend that freedom. Self defense from those Godless thieves is not in deference to the will or guidance of God.

Material goods can be replaced, but I fear that eventually their lives will be at risk as the thieves become more bold.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

"Trust in God- but row AWAY from the rocks."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Now my grandparents don't own any firearms, because they believe God will protect them, and anything that happens is the will of God. However, I dont have as much faith. I keep a 9mm pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun should anyone decide to try and break in or attack my grandparents. They're senior citizens, my grandad is 75 and my granny is 73 and im worried one of those young guys around there may get the nerve to try and break in the house or attack my grandparents."

Right... So maybe God has had something to do with placing YOU THERE... So, maybe God IS, in fact, protecting them THROUGH YOU! Lawmen have been wearing stars on their chests for a long time, because they are partly religious symbols of the transcendent protecting force... the "laws" of the universe... the "powers" which keep the stars emitting their light and energy, regulated in the sky overhead, and the planets spinning in their paths. So if "anything that happens is the will of God"... it's NO ACCIDENT that you're there near your 9MM and Mossberg, watching over them (like a star)! This is just a very slightly different view of faith (fate'th).

Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well said Alchemist.

Clip, do the best you can. Your grandparents aren't going to change. Just continue to love and protect them and be there for them. You're one of the good guys.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I doubt their religion really has much against older people having a decent alarm on their stuff; maybe that could be a starting point. Around here (rural), a house alarm that connects to smoke detectors will save almost enough on the house insurance to pay for the alarm service.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
"Now my grandparents don't own any firearms, because they believe God will protect them, and anything that happens is the will of God. However, I dont have as much faith. I keep a 9mm pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun should anyone decide to try and break in or attack my grandparents. They're senior citizens, my grandad is 75 and my granny is 73 and im worried one of those young guys around there may get the nerve to try and break in the house or attack my grandparents."

Right... So maybe God has had something to do with placing YOU THERE... So, maybe God IS, in fact, protecting them THROUGH YOU! Lawmen have been wearing stars on their chests for a long time, because they are partly religious symbols of the transcendent protecting force... the "laws" of the universe... the "powers" which keep the stars emitting their light and energy, regulated in the sky overhead, and the planets spinning in their paths. So if "anything that happens is the will of God"... it's NO ACCIDENT that you're there near your 9MM and Mossberg, watching over them (like a star)! This is just a very slightly different view of faith (fate'th).
You know, I never thought of it that way.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I doubt their religion really has much against older people having a decent alarm on their stuff; maybe that could be a starting point. Around here (rural), a house alarm that connects to smoke detectors will save almost enough on the house insurance to pay for the alarm service.
Yeah they do have an alarm, but I consider it just something to wake me up to grab my Mossberg if someone breaks in. I think if someone is bold enough to kick in your door at 3 AM an alarm wont scare them away, despite what Broadview security would lead you to believe.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
Yeah they do have an alarm, but I consider it just something to wake me up to grab my Mossberg if someone breaks in. I think if someone is bold enough to kick in your door at 3 AM an alarm wont scare them away, despite what Broadview security would lead you to believe.
I think I remember hearing that the number 1 thing that deters thieves is a dog.

Dog + gun = best alarm system you can buy.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Remind your grandfather respectfully of the parts in The Bible where it states: "If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one".

THOU SHALT NOT KILL is mistranslated from the Greek which it actually states: THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT MURDER

There is also a verse talking about someone entering your home in the night, and if you smite them you are guilty of no crime.

The Bible makes it amply clear that defending yourself or your loved ones is God Given and God Approved.

Look up those verses in the online Bible, and show them to the Good Pastor.

In the mean time, you be their sword and shield, and God Bless you.