Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Liberal NRA supporters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Liberal NRA supporters

Hello,

I wanted to get an idea of what people thought about this...

It seems that with every political issue, the republicans and democrats pick a stance on it (usually opposite) and we end up with essentially two huge lumps of viewpoints we are asked to pick from.

Gun control is one of those things there is no grey area about. Republicans support gun ownership, democrats oppose it.

I am a democrat, in almost every aspect... but I feel very strongly against gun control and am a proud NRA member, and handgun owner.

The dilemma facing folks like me is we have to give something up. Do I vote with where I stand on the majority of issues? Or do I stick to a candidate who is in line with one very important issue only? In the end, most people will stick to the party of whom they are in-line with on the MOST issues.

So I will be voting for Obama this year. His choice of VP is a bit troubling though, in so far as gun control issues go.

Anyway - any one else out there in the same boat?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There are VERY FEW out here in the same boat, or for that matter in the same bed with Obama or Biden. To me there are two very important issues which I will NOT compromise on. They will drive my vote, and they are Abortion and Gun Control. Without an uncompromised acceptance of the 2nd Amendment, we may as well be living in another country. For a gun owner to state that he will vote for the most anti-gun candidate is a grand hypocracy.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Welcome, darkwolf. There probably aren't too many Obama supporters on this forum.

Being in favor of firearm ownership implies one appreciates the concept of self-defense: reliance on one's self to get out of a sticky situation. Or, reliance on one's self to get food. Many pro-2A folks understand that ownership of arms by citizens is absolutely necessary to ensure government does not start breaking its own laws (or draft laws that contravene the constitution/BoR) and abuse the people.

Many on the left are unabashedly pro-government: they want a larger government with a greater scope, imposed regulations of all sorts, redistribution-of-wealth programs, etc. That mindset is diametrically-opposed to self-reliance and real power resting with the individual rather than the elected government.

Vote your conscience. If none of the candidates on the ballot are right for you, do a write-in for your ideal candidate.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Well, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away... or perhaps not THAT long ago- The Democatic Party was the party of the working man, and they WERE my party. The blue collar folks that turned wrenches, swung hammers, and plowed fields. And something happened.

MY party ceased to represent the working man- and became the party of the welfare recipient. The party that represented more control over your daily life. The party of "redistribution of wealth" (See also So******m). And they stopped being my party.

I am a working slug. There is a hardhat, workboots and safety glasses in the back of my 4WD. I put myself thru college going to school at night while working full time. My wife and I raised our kids, paid our bills, saved what we could, and paid our taxes. We NOW find that WE are the "wealthy" that the Dems want to tax. Well, no wonder- the top 10% of taxpayers pay 90% of the taxes. When you count up ALL the taxes levied on me, more than HALF of my earnings are gobbled up as taxes. To pay for the MASSIVE increase in govt spending.

We delayed buying a house until we could afford the mortgage payments on a VA loan. Our house is now paid for- and the Dems consider THAT an ASSET that makes me wealthy. By the way, they want ME to pay taxes to bail out those that bought the HUGE house with an "interest only mortgage.

We delayed having kids until we could afford them. I am NOW being taxed to make welfare payments to folks that seem never to have heard of birth control.

We put part of my pay into a savings plan- yours might be an IRA or a 401K. Nancy and Barrack think it is just wrong for my lady and I to have "all" that money sitting there for our old age- their latest plan is to designate that as a "windfall" and tax the daylights out of my savings.

Gun control? Oh, great idea- let's keep guns out of the "wrong" hands. Take a look at the history of gun control in the US. The "wrong" hands have been- at different times- American Indian, Irish, Blacks, and Immigrants. The Dems currently seem to feel that the "wrong" hands are any hands not employed by a govt agency.

A fellow Virginian, boy named Jefferson, once said that a government powerful enought to give you everything is powerful enough to take everything.

Sorry bro- I did not leave the Democratic party- but they sure as hell left me.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This post has a familiar "ring" - can anyone say "Beebs2415".....

Old 09-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away... or perhaps not THAT long ago- The Democatic Party was the party of the working man, and they WERE my party. The blue collar folks that turned wrenches, swung hammers, and plowed fields. And something happened.

MY party ceased to represent the working man- and became the party of the welfare recipient. The party that represented more control over your daily life. The party of "redistribution of wealth" (See also So******m). And they stopped being my party.

I am a working slug. There is a hardhat, workboots and safety glasses in the back of my 4WD. I put myself thru college going to school at night while working full time. My wife and I raised our kids, paid our bills, saved what we could, and paid our taxes. We NOW find that WE are the "wealthy" that the Dems want to tax. Well, no wonder- the top 10% of taxpayers pay 90% of the taxes. When you count up ALL the taxes levied on me, more than HALF of my earnings are gobbled up as taxes. To pay for the MASSIVE increase in govt spending.

We delayed buying a house until we could afford the mortgage payments on a VA loan. Our house is now paid for- and the Dems consider THAT an ASSET that makes me wealthy. By the way, they want ME to pay taxes to bail out those that bought the HUGE house with an "interest only mortgage.

We delayed having kids until we could afford them. I am NOW being taxed to make welfare payments to folks that seem never to have heard of birth control.

We put part of my pay into a savings plan- yours might be an IRA or a 401K. Nancy and Barrack think it is just wrong for my lady and I to have "all" that money sitting there for our old age- their latest plan is to designate that as a "windfall" and tax the daylights out of my savings.

Gun control? Oh, great idea- let's keep guns out of the "wrong" hands. Take a look at the history of gun control in the US. The "wrong" hands have been- at different times- American Indian, Irish, Blacks, and Immigrants. The Dems currently seem to feel that the "wrong" hands are any hands not employed by a govt agency.

A fellow Virginian, boy named Jefferson, once said that a government powerful enought to give you everything is powerful enough to take everything.

Sorry bro- I did not leave the Democratic party- but they sure as hell left me.
+1! Very well written C3

THAT is the type of post we need more of in rebuttals to posts we don't agree with.

Excellent post Sir - Thank you for taking the time to share your story.

JD

Old 09-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can't you just feel the "love" in the air....LMAO

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-06-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #8

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well C3Shooter hit the nail on the head. It all started in 1963. I was really never a democrat, but I did vote for JFK, but since then when congress was in control for over 20 years, they just wanted to take more and more of my money. Whats really sad is that they did. I'm retired now, but I still pay almost 50% of my income in some form of tax. I never want to say that the republicans are any much better on managing the government, but they sure let me keep my guns and allow me to have some extra $ to buy ammo.

Sarah the Riveter

Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #9

RL if you think voting for McCain is taking an uncompromising stance on gun rights you're quite wrong . He has worked with Lieberman in the past to promote gun control no matter how incremental and he has also stated he supports Bans on "Certain" assault weapons .

www.nationalgunrights.org/POTUS/McCain.shtml

As far as your abortion belief he has stabbed you in the back there also as he has voted for stem cell research and many times let die on the floor an amendment introduced by Ron Paul that would define the start of life as beginning at conception that would in effect with the stroke of a Presidential pen overturn Woe v Wade .

We are all actually in the same boat because the boat is sinking and at the same time being boarded by Pirates .

No matter what each party calls it they have for decades openly welcomed uneducated and even openly hostile immigrants to come to our shores all in the name of getting a vote .

Whether it is through the Free Trade acts the Republicans support or the overly oppressive Federal regulations the Democrats push both parties have successfully driven businesses out of our Nation and American workers into unemployment lines .

The Republicans allow their rich friends to rape America with their huge increases in energy prices and the Dem's add to the misery by adding costly Regulations all to protect the Environment even when the proof of any damage is only a theory so this earns the Republicans Votes and huge monetary donations to get votes .

The Democrats also have their own Rich friends despite trying to deny it , the Hollywood and Media elite , they refuse to pass legislation to prevent the production of all of the smut that our kids watch and listen to yet they talk about it and insist they'll put an end to it every few years , all of the indecency that damages young and impressionable minds , what we get are their so called Rating systems which do nothing , while it is still being cranked out by Hollywood under the protection of their precious First Amendment .

This gets them tons of money and Votes .

O and Darkwolf you too are quite wrong Gun Control is a huge grey area for both party's . As a matter of fact at the local and even Federal Congressional level we have quite a few staunch 2A supporters who are Democrats just as there are Antigun Republicans .

It's only in the National Charters of the two party's that say they must conform or at least put on a believable facade of doing so in supporting what they are told to .

I read in Guns and Ammo many years prior to breaking out onto the national scene with ambitions of gaining the "Big Chair" Al Gore was actually rated by the NRA with an A when he was just a Senator .

Make no mistake gentlemen the results for both party's is far to close to make a huge difference to the average man .

Suppose the Dem's can solve the energy problem , you wouldn't have anymore money to spend because they will take it in Taxes .

If the Republicans solve it we will have lower taxes yet runaway prices so the big companies can make huge profits . .

Have we not proved we can survive with $3+ a gallon gas ? Do you honestly think it's going to get much better now ?

Thats all we the common man are suppose to do is survive , and work to make them filthy rich so they can enjoy the good life .

While we get to decide whether we want Grilled cheese or Bologna sandwiches for dinner they get to decide what exotic location they will be jetting off to for their third 10 day vacation of the year .

Do any of you happen to recall the would be hilarious if it wasn't so sickening exchange between Nancy Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev's wife in the 80's ?

Mrs.Gorbachev Shows up in rare and very expensive Sable Coat with Mrs. Reagan only wearing her Mink "Both worth far more than my wifes at the time $50 Kmart ski style coat" and Mrs. Reagan chastises Mrs.Gorbachev for daring to wear such an expensive coat while the peasants of Russia are so poor , "Like the average American women has a Mink like she was wearing" and off they went together to a dinner no doubt far more expensive than what the average American or Russian had that night .

Hypocrisy you say RL ?

My friend , the real Hypocrites are the ones we're voting for , every single one of them , I think it's a prerequisite of the job !!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
RL if you think voting for McCain is taking an uncompromising stance on gun rights you're quite wrong . He has worked with Lieberman in the past to promote gun control no matter how incremental and he has also stated he supports Bans on "Certain" assault weapons .

www.nationalgunrights.org/POTUS/McCain.shtml

As far as your abortion belief he has stabbed you in the back there also as he has voted for stem cell research and many times let die on the floor an amendment introduced by Ron Paul that would define the start of life as beginning at conception that would in effect with the stroke of a Presidential pen overturn Woe v Wade .

We are all actually in the same boat because the boat is sinking and at the same time being boarded by Pirates .

No matter what each party calls it they have for decades openly welcomed uneducated and even openly hostile immigrants to come to our shores all in the name of getting a vote .

Whether it is through the Free Trade acts the Republicans support or the overly oppressive Federal regulations the Democrats push both parties have successfully driven businesses out of our Nation and American workers into unemployment lines .

The Republicans allow their rich friends to rape America with their huge increases in energy prices and the Dem's add to the misery by adding costly Regulations all to protect the Environment even when the proof of any damage is only a theory so this earns the Republicans Votes and huge monetary donations to get votes .

The Democrats also have their own Rich friends despite trying to deny it , the Hollywood and Media elite , they refuse to pass legislation to prevent the production of all of the smut that our kids watch and listen to yet they talk about it and insist they'll put an end to it every few years , all of the indecency that damages young and impressionable minds , what we get are their so called Rating systems which do nothing , while it is still being cranked out by Hollywood under the protection of their precious First Amendment .

This gets them tons of money and Votes .

O and Darkwolf you too are quite wrong Gun Control is a huge grey area for both party's . As a matter of fact at the local and even Federal Congressional level we have quite a few staunch 2A supporters who are Democrats just as there are Antigun Republicans .

It's only in the National Charters of the two party's that say they must conform or at least put on a believable facade of doing so in supporting what they are told to .

I read in Guns and Ammo many years prior to breaking out onto the national scene with ambitions of gaining the "Big Chair" Al Gore was actually rated by the NRA with an A when he was just a Senator .

Make no mistake gentlemen the results for both party's is far to close to make a huge difference to the average man .

Suppose the Dem's can solve the energy problem , you wouldn't have anymore money to spend because they will take it in Taxes .

If the Republicans solve it we will have lower taxes yet runaway prices so the big companies can make huge profits . .

Have we not proved we can survive with $3+ a gallon gas ? Do you honestly think it's going to get much better now ?

Thats all we the common man are suppose to do is survive , and work to make them filthy rich so they can enjoy the good life .

While we get to decide whether we want Grilled cheese or Bologna sandwiches for dinner they get to decide what exotic location they will be jetting off to for their third 10 day vacation of the year .

Do any of you happen to recall the would be hilarious if it wasn't so sickening exchange between Nancy Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev's wife in the 80's ?

Mrs.Gorbachev Shows up in rare and very expensive Sable Coat with Mrs. Reagan only wearing her Mink "Both worth far more than my wifes at the time $50 Kmart ski style coat" and Mrs. Reagan chastises Mrs.Gorbachev for daring to wear such an expensive coat while the peasants of Russia are so poor , "Like the average American women has a Mink like she was wearing" and off they went together to a dinner no doubt far more expensive than what the average American or Russian had that night .

Hypocrisy you say RL ?

My friend , the real Hypocrites are the ones we're voting for , every single one of them , I think it's a prerequisite of the job !!
You're right - I'll vote for Obama....

PS - regardless of how wishy washy some Republicans have been in the past, the overwhelming majority of them are still pro-gun and anti-abortion. I would accept even a half-measure in the right direction over being dragged further down the social sewer of Liberal government by wasting my vote. McCain is anti-abortion, maybe not in every detail like fetal stem cell research, but that's light years away from aborting a late term pregnancy, botching the abortion, and then discarding a living baby in a closet garbage receptacle. The nurse who heard the baby crying and found it in the garbage picked it up and cradled it for 45 minutes until it died! Obama voted AGAINST a law to prevent THAT from ever happening again! Any fuc^ing sub-human piece of sh!t that could participate in such a crime I would be happy to execute personally.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-06-2008 at 09:39 PM.