Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Letter to Speaker Boehner (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/letter-speaker-boehner-81035/)

genesis 01-11-2013 11:14 PM

Letter to Speaker Boehner

Even if your not in Speaker Boehner's district, you can still email him at this website. I strongly urge everyone to do so.
http://www.speaker.gov/Contact/

Dear Mr Speaker:

I, and hundreds of millions of responsible gun owners and citizens, stand with you in fiercely supporting our unalienable right under the Second Amendment. Anyone who would ban high capacity weapons, or require any type of registration, does not truly understand its intent, or simply ignores it.

I am not a layer. I'm just an average, law abiding, responsible citizen. But it doesn't take a law degree to understand why our founding father adopted the Second Amendment, and what they intended.

There are many quotes from our founding fathers concerning our unalienable right to keep and bear arms, which clearly, absolutely, and undeniable proves their state of mind, and their intent, when drafting the Second Amendment. I think Thomas Jefferson said it best. "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." This is not difficult to understand. The intent of the Second Amendment is crystal clear. We have an unalienable right to bear arms to protect ourselves, even from our own government, using arms in common use for lawful purposes.

The argument that our founding fathers could not possible have envisioned today's sophisticated weapons and would not want us to have them is absolutely without merit. Their intent was to affirm our unalienable right to protect ourselves even from our own government. To do this successfully, we obviously need essentially the same type of armament as is issued to the vast majority of our armed forces, albeit, not fully automatic. The hundreds of millions of legally owned, high capacity, semi-automatic, AK47's, SKS's, AR15's, M14's, etc, and the myriad of high capacity, semi automatic hand guns, meet this requirement. They have become the preferred weapons of choice by the vast majority of gun owners, are commonly used for lawful purposes, all totally legitimate under the 2nd Amendment, and fully in keeping with its intent. To think otherwise is baseless. To ask why I want or need such a weapon is a joke and does not even deserve a response.

Some scoff at the notion that our government would ever become tyrannical, and deride us for even thinking such a thing is possible. But that's exactly what is happening right now, as evidenced by Senator Feinstein's gun control bill. No matter what anyone profusely espouses to the contrary, we know the ultimate goal is to ultimately ban all firearms. The pending gun control bills are just the first step toward that end.

The Feinstein bill, which covers the vast majority of firearms already in the hands of responsible, law abiding citizens, goes well beyond the National Firearms Act of 1934, and the 1994 assault weapons ban. The fingerprinting of gun owners and the registration of the vast majority of weapons already in existence violates the very intent of the Second Amendment. We will not be dragged down this slippery slope and will steadfastly refuse to obey, any and all penalties notwithstanding. My government has no business knowing what weapons I may have. This is a glaring manifestation of an overreaching and out of control government. This is precisely the very thing our founding fathers feared and wished to prevent. Would they have acquiesced to such facism?

Adoption of the Feinstein bill would put the citizenry at a distinct disadvantage in being able to defend themselves from government, as the armament necessary to do so, while currently legal, would be banned. This raises serious constitutional issues.

Unlike 15 years ago, the hundreds of millions of semi-automatic, high capacity, long guns and handguns currently possessed by hundreds of millions of law abiding, responsible, citizens, have overwhelmingly become the preferred weapons of choice. They would undauntedly pass the Supreme Court test for "weapons in common use for lawful purposes."

If there is anything we responsible gun owners can do to assist you to protect our Second Amendment rights, please post it on the internet for all to see.

Sincerely,