Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Letter i got back from rep. God bless him.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

Default Letter i got back from rep. God bless him.

I wanted to take just a moment and respond to your email concerning Gun Control, Gun Rights, Second Amendment issues etc.

Please know that as far as I am concerned there is no wavering on the Second Amendment. In my opinion the Second Amendment allows us as US Citizens to protect ourselves, our families and our property. It allows us to have a militia if this country were to be invaded and specifically gives us the right to bear arms to keep our own government in check if deemed necessary.

Limiting us, as Americans, access to guns in general or to specific guns and ammunition is a blatant affront to the Constitution of the United States and specifically – the Second Amendment.

Now, is there work to be done – most certainly – but we need to focus on what needs to be done and what will make a difference. Our national and state mental health programs need to be examined closely and changes made where appropriate. We need to reexamine the reasons we declare different areas “gun free” zones. Does it make sense to announce that our schools and our theaters are “gun free” zones and then NOT expect those areas to be targeted?

Recently I had an individual verbally reprimand me for using the statement “common sense” – but I believe that we need to apply common sense to these situations. If you are a criminal or suffering from mental health issues and you determine you want to hurt someone are you going to go to the local police station where you know there are people who protect themselves with firearms? I think not – Common Sense tells you to find an area where there are no guns allowed.

I believe there is much work to be done in order to deter individuals from harming themselves and others with any weapons – guns being the main topic of discussion at this time. It horrifies me to think of what happened in Connecticut at the school and in theater in Colorado – but limiting law abiding American Citizens access to firearms is not the answer.

Thank you so much for corresponding with me on these issues – I look forward to hearing from you again. I am here to assist you in any way possible and I appreciate you staying in touch.

Kindest Regards

Sal

Rep Sal Esquivel
District 6

“A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Dude your Rep is awesome. Mine suck and one of 'em is Fienstien.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex
Dude your Rep is awesome. Mine suck and one of 'em is Fienstien.
Good thing we have southern Oregon. The Portland area is a cesspool of , eh, how to put it politically correct? Patchouli the dye types that want something for nothing, and want only what they believe in to be legal.

You'd gag at the stuff they do here. I moved here from Texas, never will understand them.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesmar

Good thing we have southern Oregon. The Portland area is a cesspool of , eh, how to put it politically correct? Patchouli the dye types that want something for nothing, and want only what they believe in to be legal.

You'd gag at the stuff they do here. I moved here from Texas, never will understand them.
Sounds like you downgraded a state overall but locally are pretty good. Well have fun with your "dangerous assault weapons" if you have any.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I just got a response from one of my reps, I believe he has no grasp of what the 2A is about. Wisconsin's F$@%ed with this guy.

February 13, 2013

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the horrific events that occurred in Newtown, Connecticut and gun safety legislation. I appreciate you taking the time to write to me and express your concerns on this issue.

My thoughts go out to the families and victims affected by the recent mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. This was a deeply tragic time for our country and the parents and families who lost their loved ones. Our nation's hearts were broken by the deaths of twenty children and six adults at Sandy Hook. The events in Newtown served as a painful reminder that we must work harder to ensure the safety and well-being of not just our classrooms, but our communities all over the country.

For me, the tragedy in Newtown led to a great deal of reflection about what we must do together to reduce violence in our communities. I believe we need to address this problem with a set of comprehensive policies and I share your commitment to ensuring we move swiftly in Congress to protect families from future tragedies.

I fully support the Second Amendment and I believe well regulated gun ownership is essential in order to protect citizens and reduce gun violence in our communities. While there is no perfect solution that will eliminate all gun crimes, there are many things we can do to significantly reduce the danger of guns getting into the hands of criminals and those that are mentally ill. In addition, we must work to find a solution to this ongoing problem that plagues our country.

I believe that we must focus on a wide range of policy changes as we seek to prevent mass shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut. I came to Congress to advocate for increasing our investments in mental health. I look forward to working with my colleagues to move the country forward on this issue.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Your thoughts and opinions on this issue are of great value. Please feel free to use my office as a resource at any time, and visit www.pocan.house.gov for up-to-date information on a wide range of issues before Congress. I look forward to further correspondence with you on this and any other matter of concern you may have in the future.

Sincerely,

Mark Pocan
Member of Congress

Should you have further questions, please revisit the “Contact” section of my website or call my office at (202) 225-2906. This is an unattended mailbox.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Oh my god! Well regulated gun ownership, etc etc. this guy is scary.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got this response two days ago. I can't understand how anyone can be that ignorant.

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence prevention legislation. I am honored to hear from you, and proud to represent you. Since coming to Congress, I have been working very hard to advance my policy agenda based on four key priorities—peace, prosperity for working families, environmental sustainability, and support for human and civil rights.

On December 14, 2012, Americans around the country were shocked and heartbroken with the news that 27 people were killed in a mass shooting in Newton, CT, including 20 innocent children at Sandy Hook Elementary School. As a father, I cannot imagine the pain and grief that comes from losing a child in such a senseless tragedy.

As we mourn these lives lost, and our hearts are with the families of the victims, we also must turn to finding a solution for ending these terrible acts of violence. The tragic shooting in Newton, CT joins a dozen other mass shootings this past year, including the September 27th shooting at Accent Signage in Minneapolis, where six people were senselessly killed in one of the worse mass shootings in Minnesota history.

It is time that we come together as a nation to address this systemic violence. Recently the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which I co-chair, passed a resolution on preventing gun violence. Our goals include banning the sale of military-style assault weapons and high capacity magazines, requiring all gun buyers to pass a criminal background check, and supporting funding for mental health and substance abuse treatment. On February 4, 2013 I discussed these goals with President Obama, local leaders, and Minnesotan law enforcement officials at a Gun Safety Roundtable in Minneapolis.

In this Congress I am a cosponsor of several bills to help reduce the occurrence of gun violence in this country. The Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013 (HR 137), would require gun buyers to undergo a simple background check for each firearm they wish to purchase, and the Fire Sale Loophole Closing Act (HR 93) would prevent individuals whose federal firearms license has been revoked from transferring firearms inventory to a personal collection. I also am a cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act (HR 138), which would prohibit the transfer, possession, or importation of a large capacity ammunition feeding device after the date of the law's enactment, and I am an original cosponsor of HR 431, which would restore certain authorities of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to administer the firearms laws.

Properly regulating the sale, distribution, and use of firearms for the benefit of public safety is of upmost importance to me. As always, please feel free to contact me on any issue of concern. You can sign up for our e-newsletter by visiting www.house.gov/ellison.

Sincerely yours,

Keith Ellison
United States House of Representatives

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's only response i've received from a MN politician that is in our favor.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and share your thoughts on the unspeakable tragedy that occurred recently at an elementary school in Newton, Connecticut. I appreciate learning of your views.

As a father and grandfather, I am shocked by the enormity of the senseless slaughter of so many innocent lives, particularly our nation's greatest treasure - our children. I believe the President struck the right tone in his remarks shortly after the tragedy, and agree with him that no single piece of legislation can prevent another tragedy.

As you may know, firearms are regulated by a comprehensive system of federal and state laws and regulations designed to assist law enforcement in their efforts to reduce crime and violence. The National Firearms Act of 1934, the Gun Control Act of 1968, and the Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986 all combine to form a comprehensive system of regulating the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. Since 1986, for example, federal law severely restricted and essentially banned the manufacture and sale of automatic weapons (better known as 'gangster' style machine guns). Federal law is the minimum and many states place tighter restrictions on gun possession including wait periods, semi-automatic weapons bans, and conceal and carry restrictions. A full list of Minnesota's laws can be found by visiting the Minnesota Legislature website at http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/firearmsgd.pdf.

I believe more gun control is not the answer. We must also recognize this tragedy deals with issues of mental health and mental illness. In 2008, I supported the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act. Since the enactment of this legislation, federal law now requires that when an insurer chooses to cover mental health and substance use disorder services, they must offer coverage of those services at parity with medical and surgical services. We must look at the reasons this happened and how to stop it from happening in the future. We must focus on good public policy rather than rushing to legislate.

As new details continue to emerge about the tragedy, one thing remains certain: a community - and a nation - have been forever changed by this unthinkable act. Like you, I believe we must ensure that those affected have the support they need from our nation's leaders. We must not legislate in haste; instead, we must take a thoughtful, comprehensive approach. As the details of the appalling devastation continue to emerge, the nation and Congress will talk about school safety, and how best to protect our precious children when they leave us for school each day.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to do so again regarding any issue of importance to you.

Sincerely,

JOHN KLINE
Member of Congress

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesmar View Post
Oh my god! Well regulated gun ownership, etc etc. this guy is scary.
Yeah, he's the lib shoo in for Tammy Baldwin, birds of a feather, opposite genders.
Sigh!