Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Let's get the bill passed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Let's get the bill passed

NRA-ILA :: H.R. 822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act -- Heading to House Floor; Contact your Representative Now!

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I am in favor of reciprocity within states that allow CC. I have more than a little fear of a national law requiring it for a couple of reasons. Chiefly, one of the pro 2A arguments has always been that the fed should not legislate in the matter of firearms. It should be left up to the individual states. If the fed gets its smarmy little fingers into the self-defense/protection aspect of firearms ownership it certainly may open other avenues for control by future anti-gun congresses.

Secondly, I am a strong supporter of state's rights. A national bill such as is proposed, while seeming to be affirmative to CC users, weakens a state's ability to set it's own standards. What happens when the fed makes a requirement of a specific level of training, perhaps even to an unreasonably onerous level? Will a state like AZ be forced to require that training in place of it's remarkable and commendable "all citizens may carry"?

I could go on, but those are the main points that concern me. I fear that every additional power we relinquish to the fed gov weakens us as citizens, and weakens the individual states. We should support the CC cause and work for the states to reconcile their requirements and acceptance of other state permits. Allowing the fed to mandate it is a terrible mistake in my opinion.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I respectfully disagree.....HR822 is a bad idea. It may lead to violating state rights and would establish, on a national level, you do not have a God Given Right to use lethal force to protect yourself against illegal lethal force.

Last edited by EagleSix; 10-29-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added a couple words for clarity....

Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Hmm good point, I see what y'all mean.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
I respectfully disagree.....HR822 is a bad idea. It violates state rights and would establish, on a national level, you do not have a God Given Right to use lethal force to protect yourself against illegal lethal force.

All of this could be avoided if the SCOTUS would rule that the 2A was the law of the land and would rule all State restrictive gun laws unconstitutional. When each State joined the Union, they pledged to uphold the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and abide by those statutes in the adoption of State law.

The right to life is inaliable, as is liberty and the persuit of happiness....I read that somewhere!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Chiefly, one of the pro 2A arguments has always been that the fed should not legislate in the matter of firearms. It should be left up to the individual states.
In all the years I've been involved with firearms, I've never heard this argument before HR822 came up. No, pro-2A folks have not argued that firearms regulations should be left up to the states. We've argued that the 2nd Amendment protects our gun rights from state and Federal interference. Now, suddenly, we're all in favor of state gun laws?

Pffft.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
I respectfully disagree.....HR822 is a bad idea. It violates state rights and would establish, on a national level, you do not have a God Given Right to use lethal force to protect yourself against illegal lethal force.
Please cite the relevant portion of HR822 which would establish that you have no right to use lethal force against a deadly threat. Here's the text:

Text of H.R.822 as Introduced in House: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

[Deleted duplicate post]

Old 10-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 948 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I know where you are coming from on states rights but look back at interstate commerce. At one time every state charged a tariff on goods passing through each state. The feds had to put a stop to it as the cost of goods was skyrocketing. Is it fair for a state to violate the civil rights of visitors?
There are currently states that have no right to carry. If I go to CA to visit I am defenseless. Since they have no right to carry I will probably remain defenseless. I could not go to CA but it is a long way around if I want to go to OR or WA and my kids live in CA. We travel during the summer and it is sometimes a night mare as to where and when I can carry. I am constantly back and forth storing my guns in the trailer and taking them out.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttolhurst View Post
Please cite the relevant portion of HR822 which would establish that you have no right to use lethal force against a deadly threat. Here's the text:

Text of H.R.822 as Introduced in House: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
....I read it long before this thread.....you are correct however and I have edited by post to reflect clarity....

"I respectfully disagree.....HR822 is a bad idea. It may lead to violating state rights and would establish, on a national level, you do not have a God Given Right to use lethal force to protect yourself against illegal lethal force."