Let's Close The Loophole! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Let's Close The Loophole!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5697 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 5104

We had an alternative Nov.6 and we blew it.

Winston Churchill
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm pretty sure if you are adjudicated mentally unfit it will get you denied on a nics check.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Call me a hater, but the federal government can't even balance its budget; i don't think those people need any more duties/responsibilities until they have reached SOME REASONABLE LEVEL of competence in their current duties. IOW, i don't trust the feds to not screw this up into a system that is of use only to those who wish to abuse it (not to even mention what it would cost the taxpayers for them to eff it up).

This is something that family should take care of whenever possible. Got a young adult dependent with mental issues and violent tendencies? Keep that youngster AWAY from firearms; alert the local police; perhaps participate in a VOLUNTARY registration process through the STATE court system to make a searchable record of the situation. In the event there is no family to care for/monitor the questionably sane person, THEN see that they meet with a state-appointed guardian who will explain that they aren't sane enough for firearms and have been precluded from using/owning/purchasing firearms until such time as they can demonstrate their fitness.

Now obviously, any VOLUNTARY registration system for mentally-handicapped persons might be forgone by parents not wanting to stigmatize their child. One way to avoid that would be to make a mentally-handicapped person's guardian/parent statutorily responsible for that person's actions involving a firearm. For example, lil johnny bentabit shoots himself with his father's unsecured (on kitchen counter) pistol; courts charge his father with child neglect or negligent homicide. Another example, lil janie benttoomuch uses her mother's unsecured shotgun to attack a school and later to kill herself; her mother should face charges for both events.

Personally, i am not a fan of restrictions on the 2A, but i am a fan of restricting mentally-handicapped people from hurting themselves and/or others.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10677

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Call me a hater, but the federal government can't even balance its budget; i don't think those people need any more duties/responsibilities until they have reached SOME REASONABLE LEVEL of competence in their current duties. IOW, i don't trust the feds to not screw this up into a system that is of use only to those who wish to abuse it (not to even mention what it would cost the taxpayers for them to eff it up).

This is something that family should take care of whenever possible. Got a young adult dependent with mental issues and violent tendencies? Keep that youngster AWAY from firearms; alert the local police; perhaps participate in a VOLUNTARY registration process through the STATE court system to make a searchable record of the situation. In the event there is no family to care for/monitor the questionably sane person, THEN see that they meet with a state-appointed guardian who will explain that they aren't sane enough for firearms and have been precluded from using/owning/purchasing firearms until such time as they can demonstrate their fitness.

Now obviously, any VOLUNTARY registration system for mentally-handicapped persons might be forgone by parents not wanting to stigmatize their child. One way to avoid that would be to make a mentally-handicapped person's guardian/parent statutorily responsible for that person's actions involving a firearm. For example, lil johnny bentabit shoots himself with his father's unsecured (on kitchen counter) pistol; courts charge his father with child neglect or negligent homicide. Another example, lil janie benttoomuch uses her mother's unsecured shotgun to attack a school and later to kill herself; her mother should face charges for both events.

Personally, i am not a fan of restrictions on the 2A, but i am a fan of restricting mentally-handicapped people from hurting themselves and/or others.
OK, this sounds a bit more along the line that I was hoping for.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most of the transfers that are held up is due to minor problems. I notice most of these are due to unpaid parking tickets. What makes someone a danger who has not paid an Urban rip off?
Once power is given to these people they will abuse it. What makes anyone think giving Nancy more power will stop gun control. If I give the coyotes more sheep? Will the coyotes stop killing sheep and eat grass?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Most of the transfers that are held up is due to minor problems. I notice most of these are due to unpaid parking tickets. What makes someone a danger who has not paid an Urban rip off?
Once power is given to these people they will abuse it. What makes anyone think giving Nancy more power will stop gun control. If I give the coyotes more sheep? Will the coyotes stop killing sheep and eat grass?
Compared to what they are attempting? I would take getting held up in a background check over being held up for my guns.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Viking Dad what kind of gun control should we ask for?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Viking Dad what kind of gun control should we ask for?
I would prefer none at all. I am a firm believer in the theory that it is a problem with the people, not the guns. however I am also a realist and I know if we just sit down and say we will not tolerate any more gun control then the Pelosis out there will go full steam ahead right over top of us. It is better to have an alternative to what they are proposing when objecting to their proposals.

What I would ask for is a solution to the real issue at hand which is criminal use of firearms in crimes. this does not and historically has not mean the that more restrictions are the answer, but that is what they are proposing.

I would not object to Adam Lansa's mother being held accountable, but she is dead so that's not gonna work. I have not heard any of the specifics about the gun that was used in Oregon other than it was stolen from a friend. Should that friend be held accountable? I haven't got a clue. But I think it should be looked at. From what I do know that guy in Oregon was not obviously insane at least not until he shot up that mall. How could we as a nation be more proactive in finding these people out and getting them treatment before they go shoot up a shopping mall. problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make that determination in all cases (many of the ones that have occurred had ample warnings). There will be some nut cases that slip though. Fact is though that these whackos will do their mayhem with whatever tools they can if firearms are not available.

Quote:

Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #19

Liked 2500 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 2405

Vikingdad there are lots of people responsible. His mother, him of course, the idiot politicians who denied the people in that school the right to defend themselves, anybody who voted for said politicians. Am I missing anyone?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #20

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You forgot the MSM Rjd.