Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   LEO Unions... Why don't they oppose Gun Control? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/leo-unions-why-dont-they-oppose-gun-control-85246/)

Tackleberry1 02-26-2013 07:42 PM

LEO Unions... Why don't they oppose Gun Control?

Honest question and please, no Cop bashing.

We've seen hundreds of County Sherrif's state that they will NOT enforce Federal Gun Bans with some going so far as to state that they would arrest and charge any other State or Federal Officers who attempted enforcement within their jurisdiction.

We understand the difference between an elected LEO being able to speak his mind openly and "politically appointed" LEO's like City Chiefs and the Heads of State Police basically taking whatever position their Mayor or Governor dictate.

My question, and one I believe merits discussion, is that IF the majority of Rank and File officers oppose gun control, and IF they fear speaking out against their Chief's, they WHY are they not using their Unions to speak on their behalf?

Sure, most Unions are corrupt and only interested in policies that increase their "dues paying" membership... and if we all know that gun bans lead to more crime and more violence then it would make sence for Unions to deduce that a ban will eventually equal more officers as public safety budgets increase in response to the increased chaos.

However... I can't imagine that those already in uniform would choose to embrace policies of a downward spiral into chaos and ultimately a total police state? Nor can I imagine that none of them see the inherent risk of policies that threaten to put them at odds with law abiding, or "formerly" law abiding citizens who would choose non compliance.

We've all seen LEO Unions issue votes of NO confidence in Chiefs who failed to support them through either poor leadership or for political reasons.

So... When we see an Ass Hat like the CA Chief who last week claimed that firearms have no legitimate defensive use I have to wonder why his officers, through their Union Rep's are not expressing their disagreement?

Again, my objective with this dialogue is to help the cause by getting LEO Unions into the discussion by helping them understand that a conflict with gun owners does NOT serve their purpose, does NOT enhance public safety, but could certainly increase their officers exposure to risk on a daily basis.

If GENERAL MOTORS announced a new product that greatly increased the risk of on the job injuries to UAW members, we know the UAW would be screaming to high heaven in a loud and public manner... So I simply don't understand why LEO Unions are not doing the same for their membership.

Tack

chloeshooter 02-26-2013 07:50 PM

Unions love the left, the left loves unions
The left loves gun grabbing
Therefore, Unions, even Police unions, need to fall into line with the left on gun control in order to enjoy continued support from the left.

Maybe its more complicated than that. I doubt it.

Overkill0084 02-26-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1155404)
Unions love the left, the left loves unions
The left loves gun grabbing
Therefore, Unions, even Police unions, need to fall into line with the left on gun control in order to enjoy continued support from the left.

Maybe its more complicated than that. I doubt it.

That's pretty much it... play ball or lose your seat on the gravy train.

70cuda383 02-26-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 1155412)
That's pretty much it... play ball or lose your seat on the gravy train.

That's what I always thought too.

but...any reason why the police unions don't try to join the gravy train of the right? I know conservatives are anti-union, but maybe conservatives can be "pro-police union":confused:

probably not.

JimRau 02-26-2013 08:06 PM

Being a LEO and being in a 'union' is a DIRECT conflict of interest because modern unions are nothing more than legalized organized crime!:(

nitestalker 02-26-2013 08:10 PM

Most all of the police unions are members of the national AFL & CIO. This is the most left wing anti fire arm group in the world.:(

shadecorp 02-26-2013 08:15 PM

The Key Word
"union"
If I were to tell you my thoughts of my former union.
the u.a.w.,
I would be banned from the site.

Tackleberry1 02-26-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1155418)
That's what I always thought too.

but...any reason why the police unions don't try to join the gravy train of the right? I know conservatives are anti-union, but maybe conservatives can be "pro-police union":confused:

probably not.

I think many conservatives are for LEO's having unions. I think it would be very difficult to fill many LEO jobs if they the did not have a Union between themselves and some of our more liberal politicians who should not hesitate to fire a Cop for putting down a dangerous perp of the wrong "color".

I just don't get why their not more vocal about the lack or merit and the dangers inherent is the current proposals?

Perhaps I'm naive but I would think that any Union's membership would have access to anonymous suggestions and anonymous ballots regarding issues they saw as dangerous or posing unnecessary risk for no benefit?

Tack

danf_fl 02-26-2013 08:27 PM

Most local unions will not jump on a political bandwagon.
Unions have issues in mind and are there to represent the member.
The issues include employment, monies, treatment, safety, vacation, and more areas, but not political views.

There is normally a division that deals with political areas that works by donations of members (no, dues do not support the political branch), and they will offer indorsements to candidates.

Bottom line, a union will not get in government issues except in contracts with the US government. And then it is only about "fair" treatment of workers, not with political arguments.

PanBaccha 02-26-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

LEO Unions... Why don't they oppose Gun Control?
If push comes to shove they would probably be shooting their 2nd amendment rights.