LEO gone wild...... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > LEO gone wild......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1278 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Doc, you are right. The guy was trying to push a point when he didn't know enough about the local ordinances to make a valid decision. I do believe the cop should have knocked on the door and with strong language tell the guy why the sign was being removed. Maybe that would have soaked into his thick skull.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Doc, you are right. The guy was trying to push a point when he didn't know enough about the local ordinances to make a valid decision. I do believe the cop should have knocked on the door and with strong language tell the guy why the sign was being removed. Maybe that would have soaked into his thick skull.
My money is on the homeowner hoping that the officer would do exactly that. I would bet almost anything that there was a fully charged video camera right by the door.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
I put it up and one scumbag neighbor called the town building inspector to complain. I got a letter for being in violation of a town code. As per advice on this forum from nyshooter I could fight it on grounds of my 1st amendment rights… so I called the town BI and after telling him ill fight it in court he asked what kind of sign it was so I said a pro2a sign so he said leave it up. A week or so later he called me back because the [neighbor] cried again and I said that I’m leaving it up. A day or so later my sign went missing…
from the summary of thecelt's NYfirearms.com posts on as reported in http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/fed-up-ny-man-sets-up-hidden-camera-to-find-out-who-was-repeatedly-stealing-his-pro-gun-sign-what-he-discovered-blew-him-away/

So, the sign guy DID get a letter. The sign guy made a verbal appeal and was given a verbal pass. Then the city called and waffled out, again verbally.

Thieves kick down and steal personal property without notice. Responsible LEO's acting on behalf of their department and their city's laws cite illegal signage and require the owner to fix the problem and/or appeal in court.

The sign guy SHOULD have gone to court or the city council when he received the letter AND/OR moved the sign back from the roadway; that is the action required by our increasingly authoritarian governments. Instead, he tried to just call to explain his sign.

In the end, I would bet his sign has been seen by a lot more people due to the bungling of the situation by him, the city employee he spoke to about the letter both times, and by the officer removing the sign.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I've been thinking about this all day, and I've come to the following conclusions based on the available information.

1. The homeowner was informed by the city via a letter that the original sign was in violation due to it's location on the right-of-way.

2. The homeowner decided that his free speech rights trumped the laws of his community and the wants of his neighbors.

3. The homeowner placed a game camera hoping to catch whoever was enforcing the laws of his community.

4. The homeowner is an a$$hat that is more concerned about his own individual rights as he sees them than he is about the rights of his neighbors and the community at large.

Now for those that haven't figured this out yet, this is the type of thing that really frosts my nuggets. Who is this guy to think that his rights are more important than the rights of the people? What right does he have to blatantly ignore the laws of his community and then cry about how he was only exercising his rights? Personally, I think he is a cop hater who knew exactly who was removing his signs, and he wanted to create an internet uproar over the big bad officer depriving him of his rights. Well, I for one am not buying the bullchit. Somebody give this guy his widdle blankie and send him to bed without his supper.
</rant>
Your forgetting something (or you may not know about it yet). There should be something between 2 and 3. He was supposedly told it was ok to have the sign there for now.

I read the thread that this guy posted (cannot find it), and know his side of the story. It started with the city getting complaints about his sign. They told him he needed to remove it, and he stated his first amendment rights allowed him to keep it there. Someone (can't remember what the position was, but it was high up) said fine, and that the sign was ok "for now".

Fast forward a few days, his sign was gone without any warning. He thought one of the neighbors had taken it. IIRC, He put another sign out, and made it harder to remove. It ended up missing too. No warning, no nothing. So he put a camera up to catch the thief. That's when those pics were taken.

If I can find the forum and thread again, I'll post it.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 09-27-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Your forgetting something (or you may not know about it yet). There should be something between 2 and 3. He was supposedly told it was ok to have the sign there for now.

I read the thread that this guy posted (cannot find it), and know his side of the story. It started with the city getting complaints about his sign. They told him he needed to remove it, and he stated his first amendment rights allowed him to keep it there. Someone (can't remember what the position was, but it was high up) said fine, and that the sign was ok "for now".

Fast forward a few days, his sign was gone without any warning. He thought one of the neighbors had taken it. IIRC, He put another sign out, and made it harder to remove. It ended up missing too. No warning, no nothing. So he put a camera up to catch the thief. That's when those pics were taken.

If I can find the forum and thread again, I'll post his exact words.
You are correct. I did not know that. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not sure I would take his word for it, either. Wouldn't it be nice if whoever told him that would fess up? Yeah, like that would ever happen from a government employee. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #26

Ok, here's the thread. He is the OP. You'll get a LOT more of the story here, than you will from the media.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60634-so-remember-my-repeal-safe-act-sign-issue.html

Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You are correct. I did not know that. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not sure I would take his word for it, either. Wouldn't it be nice if whoever told him that would fess up? Yeah, like that would ever happen from a government employee. Thanks for the info.
No problem. Here's his exact words.

Note: It was the town's building inspector that told him that.

Quote:
For those who don't, I sent an extra $20 donation to scopeny and they give you a repeal the safe act sign... I put it up and one scumbag neighbor called the town building inspector to complain. I got a letter for being in violation of a town code. As per advice on this forum from nyshooter I could fight it on grounds of my 1st amendment rights... so I called the town BI and after telling him ill fight it in court he asked what kind of sign it was so I said a pro2a sign so he said leave it up. A week or so later he called me back because the **** nrighbor cried again and I said that I'm leaving it up. A day or so later my sign went missing (stolen, and probably by the *******s). So I wanted to buy a trail cam first so I could catch the thief and press charges(can't justify spending the money on one yet) before putting up another sign but I decided to make a sign of my own with plywood and I'm going to drive a couple 2x4 stakes in the ground so someone would have to really work to remove it.. here is a picture of the sign... tomorrow ill get a pic of it installed. Btw the stencils took quite a while to make and I rushed the paint work because I didn't want to wait for one side to dry filly before doing the back side (both sides are the same).20130906_182544.jpg

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-and-friends/index.html Having trouble with linking it, scroll down & on the right side of their page it says "caught on camera..." under the picture of the Latino astronaut, just click for the video.

There was an interview on Fox and Friends. He doesn't sound like a whacko.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #29

Liked 2984 Times on 1348 Posts
Likes Given: 2811

I'll bet he's paying property taxes on the easement/right of way. That bothers me more than the business with the sign. If that piece of land belongs to the government then why are we paying taxes on it? Try sending a bill to the city for mowing the grass on that strip of land. Better yet don't mow it and watch how fast the city comes down on you for not mowing their grass. If we are responsible for the taxes and maintenance for that land we bloody well ought to be able to put a sign on it.

Last edited by rjd3282; 09-28-2013 at 01:11 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
No problem. Here's his exact words.

Note: It was the town's building inspector that told him that.
I just got done watching the interview Orangello was kind enough to post, and I have a few things I noticed.

The first one is that he intends to repost in the same location, even though he knows it's wrong. The second is that he may have moved the sign back if they had asked nicely, but not the fifteen feet the code required.

Okay, as far as I know there is a public easement beside every public road in this country. It is a predetermined distance from either the center line of the road or the edge of the road. We do it from the center line on two lane roads and the center line of the furthest outside lane on roads of three lanes or more. This easement is there to promote safety and to allow utility work with minimal disruption of traffic. It also eliminates the need to secure permission of all the property owners along the work site route. The homeowner may maintain this easement, and he may think he pays taxes on it, but it's not his to do with as he pleases.

This guy is making this a First Amendment issue, and that couldn't be further (farther?) from the truth. Nobody told him in any way, shape or form that he couldn't post his sign. All they told him is that he couldn't post it on the easement, which really doesn't belong to him in the first place.

I'm not sure how this would fall under the building inspectors jurisdiction. It sounds more like zoning or code enforcement to me, but sometimes small town officials have to wear many hats.