Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   legally attached muzzle brake/fake suppressor? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/legally-attached-muzzle-brake-fake-suppressor-64466/)

Static_85 05-14-2012 05:03 PM

legally attached muzzle brake/fake suppressor?

Hey, I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to post this so if it's not I apologize.

I'm making a 9mm with a 10" barrel. From what I understand under the NFA if I attach a stalk to the gun it will be considered a short barreled rifle instead of a pistol.
I know that if I attached a muzzle brake that was 6" long it would bring the barrel to a legal length.
Would this also be true if instead of a muzzle brake I used a fake suppressor. And if so would it have to be permanently attached?

opaww 05-14-2012 05:30 PM

You really need to ask the ATF, because if I tell you yes and they say no then you go directly to jail, and do not pass go and collect $200.

tCan 05-14-2012 05:50 PM

My guess is uncle sam will be collecting $200 at some point :p

Static_85 05-14-2012 09:21 PM

I kinda anticipated a response close to that. I wasn't necessarily going to really on just someone's word. But figured it would still be informative to ask. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem

opaww 05-14-2012 10:45 PM

Check with the ATF they will give you the answer you need

barneygoogle 05-14-2012 10:56 PM

If I were you, I would forget it.

purehavoc 05-14-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Static_85 (Post 801087)
Hey, I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to post this so if it's not I apologize.

I'm making a 9mm with a 10" barrel. From what I understand under the NFA if I attach a stalk to the gun it will be considered a short barreled rifle instead of a pistol.
I know that if I attached a muzzle brake that was 6" long it would bring the barrel to a legal length.
Would this also be true if instead of a muzzle brake I used a fake suppressor. And if so would it have to be permanently attached?

I just went thru this. I suggest you make sure its a hair over 16" because if its any under its a large fine and jail time . Yes it would have to be permanently attached pinned and I suggest welded . Now the question I have for u is why go thru all this when it will still
be 16" long ? Honestly its really pointless to do that , if u want a 10" barrel go thru all the BS pay the $200 wait the 6 months and get what u want

Static_85 05-15-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

I just went thru this. I suggest you make sure its a hair over 16" because if its any under its a large fine and jail time . Yes it would have to be permanently attached pinned and I suggest welded . Now the question I have for u is why go thru all this when it will still
be 16" long ? Honestly its really pointless to do that , if u want a 10" barrel go thru all the BS pay the $200 wait the 6 months and get what u want
I was planning on it, can't be too safe.

As a pistol 10" was good, but as a rifle 16" doesn't bother me at all. Plus If I had 200$ to dump into a tax I'd pay it to a legit suppressor and weld that to it.

Anyway, I just shot them an email to see what they say.