Legality of military pistols and others - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Legality of military pistols and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenweb86 View Post
From what I can remember off the top of my head, its a .45 M1911 US Army pistol, pristine condition, but has age. Says "Property of US Army".

But the main question is, is it legal for a citizen to own a pistol like this? It has a serial number
No you cannot own anything like this. As a friendly gesture I will take the blame, send it to me at your earliest convenience...hurry before Cane gets here.

Just kidding, others have chimed in with good advice, I'm just razzing you. That 1911 is worth some serious bucks so don't part with it too easily...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it's also possible the uncle was building a display piece with a dummy receiver. are there are any markings or serial numbers .

Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #13

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Friend of mine and I were going through some of his uncles old stuff. We found quite a few older pistols but one is getting us curious.

From what I can remember off the top of my head, its a .45 M1911 US Army pistol, pristine condition, but has age. Says "Property of US Army".
I don't think this is a problem.

Note the dust cover roll mark on this current Colt offering to the public.

Legality of military pistols and others - Legal and Activism

The Colt 1911 Anniversary Model O1911ANVIII.

The Colt 100th Anniversary Models

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #14

Quick update.
Come to find out, all of the parts for the Browning are real except for the "receiver". His aunt says when he had the gun shop, he built the receiver to imitate a real one then used the rest of the parts and had them as a showpiece in the showroom. She says some people DID report it to police thinking it was real so he had to show them several times it was fake except for the barrel, stand, etc..

Crisis Averted, no SWAT team coming to the door haha. Thanks alot for the help. and you say the 1911 might be worth something? What about the REAL parts for the Browning?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #15

Quote:
you say the 1911 might be worth something?
Any valuation is subjective and depends on the condition, age and authenticity of the entire gun but generally speaking an original Colt M1911 in mint condition will be would several thousand dollars. Do you know anything about the gun's history, is it a WWII takehome? Go online and enter the serial number into a Colt database to determine manufacture date. Some of the other members here are 1911 experts and will be able to help you determine the value but nothing will replace having a trustworthy, experienced collector look it over.

Yes, the real parts for the Browning will have value to a collector. Original parts to anything that is no longer being manufactured has some value...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 09-09-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #16

Next time I head out that way, I will take some pictures for the condition and check the serial number. It appears to be almost flawless from what I saw, dont know if there is any little things to look for.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Next time I head out that way, I will take some pictures for the condition and check the serial number. It appears to be almost flawless from what I saw, dont know if there is any little things to look for.
Should look like the top one, correct?

Legality of military pistols and others - Legal and Activism