Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Legality of Bayonettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Default Legality of Bayonettes

Ok, i thought of this as a joke with some of my friends, but the more i think about it, i would like to know... what if i want to use a military rifle for home defense, what would be the legality of using a bayonette? lets say someone breaks into my house and pulls a knife, can i stab him with the bayonette a couple times instead of shooting? Just curious.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Back in the old days we stabbed intruders with our bayonets.

DK

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Ok, i thought of this as a joke with some of my friends, but the more i think about it, i would like to know... what if i want to use a military rifle for home defense, what would be the legality of using a bayonette? lets say someone breaks into my house and pulls a knife, can i stab him with the bayonette a couple times instead of shooting? Just curious.....
I dunno. Are you ready for defending yourself for torture instead of defense of death in a court of law?

Seriously, enter my house uninvited and you are met with a bullet no matter what you have in your hand. Intruders come in knowing they are there to harm, not trade scars. Darts would work better anyway.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5115 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

I keep bayonets on my home defense shootin irons. Helps prevent being disarmed. Plus if the weapon malfunctions I still got the blade. I will worry about it if it happens after I have survived. They even make mini bayonets for pistol rails to help with weapon retention in a struggle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you are using a "military rifle" for home defense, you've just run into a potential problem.

If you haven't completed the Bayonet Course at Ft. Benning, Ga., then you are ill prepared for what is involved with effectively using a bayonet.

If your assailant is close enough for you to utilize the bayonet, you'd better hope he isn't skillled. If he is, he may put your rifle in your bad place.

I'm with Skully, shoot him.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #6

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

found me a old video. its even the same kind of bayonet....
i would think 16" of blade would be hard to get past.....

107_5078.jpg  

Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

You need more than a video. A long arm in close quarters is not a good combination. I have bayonets for an SKS, 3 Enfields, a K-31, two Mausers, and two M/Ns. But my first choice for home defense would be a .357 mag and a 12 g.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
i would think 16" of blade would be hard to get past.....
16 inches of blade especially affixed to the muzzle of a rifle will be a hindrance not an asset.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5115 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

well my 12ga has a bayonet and ive been through the bayonet course but it was dropped recently from military training as an un-needed skill. this leaves our guys poorly trained.

i do agree, bayonet to me is a last resort all else fails weapon its not a goto first response thing. its there in case all the bullets and shotshells i launched didnt do the job and the long gun just ran dry.

but the odds of a goblin ever having seen a bayonet much less one on a rifle or shotgun is about the same as obama passing sweeping tax cuts, union reforms, and repealing obama care. much less a goblin skilled in hand to hand combat with a rifle bayonet. its also about the same odds of running out of ammo and being forced to use one in the civvy world.

but then there was this guy in mexico defending his home from a band of goblins that might have been able to use one...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-21-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

They might work as a last ditch defense against the zombies.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.