Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Legality of Bayonettes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/legality-bayonettes-40075/)

Trez 03-21-2011 03:11 AM

Legality of Bayonettes

Ok, i thought of this as a joke with some of my friends, but the more i think about it, i would like to know... what if i want to use a military rifle for home defense, what would be the legality of using a bayonette? lets say someone breaks into my house and pulls a knife, can i stab him with the bayonette a couple times instead of shooting? Just curious..... :confused:

Durangokid 03-21-2011 03:15 AM

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y.../soldier-1.jpg

Back in the old days we stabbed intruders with our bayonets.:D

DK

skullcrusher 03-21-2011 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 469265)
Ok, i thought of this as a joke with some of my friends, but the more i think about it, i would like to know... what if i want to use a military rifle for home defense, what would be the legality of using a bayonette? lets say someone breaks into my house and pulls a knife, can i stab him with the bayonette a couple times instead of shooting? Just curious..... :confused:

I dunno. Are you ready for defending yourself for torture instead of defense of death in a court of law?

Seriously, enter my house uninvited and you are met with a bullet no matter what you have in your hand. Intruders come in knowing they are there to harm, not trade scars. Darts would work better anyway.

JonM 03-21-2011 03:45 AM

I keep bayonets on my home defense shootin irons. Helps prevent being disarmed. Plus if the weapon malfunctions I still got the blade. I will worry about it if it happens after I have survived. They even make mini bayonets for pistol rails to help with weapon retention in a struggle.

Benning Boy 03-21-2011 04:18 AM

If you are using a "military rifle" for home defense, you've just run into a potential problem.

If you haven't completed the Bayonet Course at Ft. Benning, Ga., then you are ill prepared for what is involved with effectively using a bayonet.

If your assailant is close enough for you to utilize the bayonet, you'd better hope he isn't skillled. If he is, he may put your rifle in your bad place.

I'm with Skully, shoot him.

Trez 03-21-2011 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
found me a old video. its even the same kind of bayonet....
i would think 16" of blade would be hard to get past..... :rolleyes:

c3shooter 03-21-2011 10:35 AM

You need more than a video. A long arm in close quarters is not a good combination. I have bayonets for an SKS, 3 Enfields, a K-31, two Mausers, and two M/Ns. But my first choice for home defense would be a .357 mag and a 12 g.

Hawg 03-21-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 469338)
i would think 16" of blade would be hard to get past..... :rolleyes:

16 inches of blade especially affixed to the muzzle of a rifle will be a hindrance not an asset.

JonM 03-21-2011 12:02 PM

well my 12ga has a bayonet and ive been through the bayonet course :) but it was dropped recently from military training as an un-needed skill. this leaves our guys poorly trained.

i do agree, bayonet to me is a last resort all else fails weapon its not a goto first response thing. its there in case all the bullets and shotshells i launched didnt do the job and the long gun just ran dry.

but the odds of a goblin ever having seen a bayonet much less one on a rifle or shotgun is about the same as obama passing sweeping tax cuts, union reforms, and repealing obama care. much less a goblin skilled in hand to hand combat with a rifle bayonet. its also about the same odds of running out of ammo and being forced to use one in the civvy world.

but then there was this guy in mexico defending his home from a band of goblins that might have been able to use one...

masterPsmith 03-21-2011 02:17 PM

They might work as a last ditch defense against the zombies.

Jim........