Legal Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Legal Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Legal Shotgun

Hi... I'm new here,but a long time shooter. Vietnam Vet (101st. ABN/11Bravo, Grunt). blackpowder shooter since 1975.

I'd like a legal sawed off for home defense. I believe the lenght is 18 1/4 inches. Is that from the breech or the front of the shell? I thought handguns would be good enough, but thanks to Bawana Obama, I think a sawed off pump is the way to go.

Thanks,
OldJoe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 AM   #2

Liked 102 Times on 66 Posts

Under federal law, barrel length must be at least 18" from breech face to muzzle. Overall length must be 26" minimum.
State laws may vary.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

No need to saw it off. Buy a used pump like a Mossberg 500 and buy a smooth bore barrel that is 18-1/2" long. Leagal and no worries.

If you are wanting one that is shorter, you can legally by going Class III. With the proper paperwork, fees paid and going through BATFE, you can own a registered short barreled shotty that is under the minimums.

I hope you aren't trying to stir up trouble. Your question can be taken either way. We get plenty of trolls here trying to stir up the membership.

If not, then go legal or don't go at all.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here ya go, Mossberg Model 500 JIC, under 400.00.

jic.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OOPS, a little bit big, just click the pic and it'll shrink down a little bit.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

In addition to meeting a MINIMUM barrel length of 18 " from breech face to muzzle, OVERALL length must be at least 26"- or must have been registered as a Short Barreled Shotgun with the ATF.

To measure, select a wood dowel close to bore diameter. ENSURE THAT GUN IS NOT LOADED. Cock the action so that firing pin is not protruding. Slide dowel down bore, mark dowel at muzzle, remove dowel, measure length of dowel to mark.

Unless you are a gunsmith, would reccomend you do NOT attempt to cut a barrel down- issues of getting square cut, recrownng, etc. Buy a pump with a short factory barrel.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
jbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Here ya go, Mossberg Model 500 JIC, under 400.00.
This is the way to go IMO.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wink shorte shottie

black powder shooter eh? just get yourself a howda and load er up with buck & ball. you will only get two but that's probably all you will need.

cheers&tighter groups: eaglesnester

Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Cool

I've got an H&R pardner 12 gauge pump with a pistol grip. Sleeps in the rails of my sleigh bed.