Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Legal Ramifications???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Legal Ramifications???

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about MD Guns laws.

I live in VA but work in MD. Several colleagues of mine are gun enthusiasts and have invited me to several shoots at the local IWLA as well as target shooting at a couple indoor ranges. Being a resident of VA, am I allowed to transport firearms, rifles and handguns, across state lines to go shooting after work or at lunch time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about MD Guns laws.

I live in VA but work in MD. Several colleagues of mine are gun enthusiasts and have invited me to several shoots at the local IWLA as well as target shooting at a couple indoor ranges. Being a resident of VA, am I allowed to transport firearms, rifles and handguns, across state lines to go shooting after work or at lunch time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Generally yes but you would be better served by someone familiar with Maryland's laws. Transporting a firearm that is unloaded, cased and secured from the driver is permissible under the so- called safe passage statutes. Maryland is a different story, being a very anti-gun state there may be other requirement to possessing a firearm in the state which is what you are doing once you stop at the range. Better to be safe than sorry.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Check with the DOJ website...

It's a BAD idea to ask for legal advice on an open fourm like this...especially as a first post...

Stop by the intro section and say hello when you get a chance, lots of people to learn from here but nobody is a lawyer AFAIK...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

We DO have a couple of lawyers here- last time I saw them, some of the posts from you guys had them curled up in a fetal position, under the table, softly whimpering.

A better source will be to check with the MD State Police, Firearms Section and/or a MD gun shop. What you are looking at is more than the Peaceable Journey Act- you are not just looking at transporting THRU Maryland, but going TO a destination in MD.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Solon Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! I figured I should start the MD State Police, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks again...